Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
Andy Asaro

Keeneland: $3 minimum and 15% takeout Turf P3 wager coming

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
CheckMark

Why $3?

I guess to boost the payout and/or pool but some people wouldn't like to have an expensive ticket
Old 09-29-2021, 05:11 PM   #3
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

Excellent
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Why $3?

I guess to boost the payout and/or pool but some people wouldn't like to have an expensive ticket
The higher the betting denomination the less likely the casual player just happens to have a winning price horse. When you are talking 50 cent pick 3 and a 12-1 wins, a player that spreads a lot likely hits the horse even if he did not like it very much. You are not rewarded for keying in some fashion that 12-1. But at a $3 betting denomination a small bettor going 5x6x7 over 3 races is going to have to come up with $630 (vs $105 on a 50 cent pick 3). The typical player is not going to outlay that kind of money and will miss a lot of these price horses they are currently connecting on. Thus the reason many horse players say they cannot get scores anymore in this game. If I recall correctly, I think when the pick 3 was introduced, it was a $3 minimum. This is a nice little step in the right direction. Bottom line is you get more value out of your value horses as the $ minimum goes up. Smaller players tend to focus more on the obvious(top 3 favorites, obvious singles......) out of necessity(to keep their play within budget).
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
The higher the betting denomination the less likely the casual player just happens to have a winning price horse. When you are talking 50 cent pick 3 and a 12-1 wins, a player that spreads a lot likely hits the horse even if he did not like it very much. You are not rewarded for keying in some fashion that 12-1. But at a $3 betting denomination a small bettor going 5x6x7 over 3 races is going to have to come up with $630 (vs $105 on a 50 cent pick 3). The typical player is not going to outlay that kind of money and will miss a lot of these price horses they are currently connecting on. Thus the reason many horse players say they cannot get scores anymore in this game. If I recall correctly, I think when the pick 3 was introduced, it was a $3 minimum. This is a nice little step in the right direction. Bottom line is you get more value out of your value horses as the $ minimum goes up. Smaller players tend to focus more on the obvious(top 3 favorites, obvious singles......) out of necessity(to keep their play within budget).
You are mostly correct. While other smaller tracks had Pick 3 wagers, I believe it was Santa Anita that made the wager popular as the $3 Daily Triple. I believe it was offered on races 6 thru 8 in the late 80’s.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
castaway01

I like it as a change of pace to maybe make the Pick 3 a good bet again. I'm sure their handle numbers will tell if people want to make the leap back to higher-denomination Pick 3 bets. Worth a shot I'd say.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Why $3?

Those people have plenty other options.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post

Very Sharp post.

It goes both ways, but it will add some 'value' to the pools.

Doesn't mean it will give us a bunch of free overlays, as big-money will be hedging appropriately.

However, we should get a fair price. It's also possible that we have a contrarian opinion that would pay out as an overlay.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #9
Gamblin4ever

I know I'm not as good handicapping turf races as much as dirt, so I tend to spread more in turf races when doing multi race wagers.
Gamblin4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #10
MonmouthParkJoe

I like it, lets just hope the weather holds up
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #11
BIG RED
Son O'War

I'm all in!

Should be good size fields too.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:06 PM   #12
taxicab

I'm good with this bet.
Do like the all turf aspect........bigger fields equals better value.
And the broken sequence of races is kind of intriguing.
It just feels like the payouts will be solid.
In an odd way it might be like you're in the second leg of a .50 P-4,starting with a 5-1 shot.
I'll play it.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2021, 01:17 PM   #13
JohnGalt1

Who remembers the southern California tracks had a $5.00 minimum exacta?

Or when the superfectas were dollar minimums?

Remember the larger relative payoffs>

I played a $5 exacta at a California track --- Even money/even money/with 2 horses, cost $10.00, that paid $600.00 because a 30-1 won the third leg. Would that same ticket pay $120 with a dollar unit? Maybe $75?
JohnGalt1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2021, 06:27 PM   #14
sharkey11

dont mean to be rude but i didnt know exatas had a 3rd leg ? can you explain thankx
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2021, 07:16 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
dont mean to be rude but i didnt know exatas had a 3rd leg ? can you explain thankx
Maybe that was referring to the $1 super?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: