Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Who ran the better race Zenyatta or War Emblem
Zenyatta 24 64.86%
War Emblem 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. This poll is closed

Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Zenyatta or War Emblem ?

Who ran the better race............?????

2002 Kentucky Derby
23.25, :47.04, 1:11.75, 1:36.70, 2:01.13.

2010 Breeders Cup Classic
23.24 47.14 1:11.01 1:37.12 2:02.28

Just for Fun...........you make the call..........

Make sure ........you explain yourself.........

Last edited by JustRalph; 11-06-2010 at 09:10 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Even though I'm biased because I really liked War Emblem, I have to go with...hmmm...War Emblem.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
CincyHorseplayer

I can't choose between the two because I thought both were astounding runs.

But this underlines the rift in opinions that permeate not only this board but the whole of racing fans.If you run straight to the front,are fast,take away all the obstacles in your way,lose no ground,and surge to the wire,to some you are just a piece of crap on a predictable,cookie cutter,run of the mill,speed favoring track that is boring.Even though that attribute is the number one virtue in any creature that runs.

Yet when you do nothing,wait for a field to destroy itself,and make this "OOOO,AAAAAA" move,you capture the attention of the feeble minded.

It never ceases to amaze me how much speed is disdained when it is the #1 virtue of competing in this manner.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
delayjf

As I recall, War Emblem ran a 112 beyer in the Derby, using CJ recently posted Beyer of 114, I'll go with Z.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
delayjf

Quote:
Yet when you do nothing,wait for a field to destroy itself,and make this "OOOO,AAAAAA" move,you capture the attention of the feeble minded.
I can admire speed horses, but I think as a whole come from behind runners are just more exciting to watch for most people.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
I can admire speed horses, but I think as a whole come from behind runners are just more exciting to watch for most people.
Not me.I take total pride in being able to predict horses wiring a field,because I know that only a bad break is the only trouble they will run into.A fast,headstrong,front running powerhouse is the best bet in racing IMO.The fear of them not having enough left in the stretch is what gives them their prices.I bet neither running style to win at paltry odds though.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

121 views so far and just a handful of votes ............

Got some of you shaking your heads huh? Thinking hard ?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
121 views so far and just a handful of votes ............

Got some of you shaking your heads huh? Thinking hard ?
I've done enough thinking these last two days. And much of it ill-conceived.
Nets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
As I recall, War Emblem ran a 112 beyer in the Derby, using CJ recently posted Beyer of 114, I'll go with Z.
No, no, no...that is the raw figure, unadjusted for track speed. It will almost certainly be lower, unless you think Uncle Mo ran a 110 as a 2yo.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

People are over-rating her performance because it was on dirt, it wasn't really a great performance by her or for her. The only really remarkable thing about it is that she almost won the BCC with it.

Last edited by chickenhead; 11-06-2010 at 10:53 PM.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
People are over-rating her performance because it was on dirt, it wasn't really a great performance by her or for her. The only really remarkable thing about it is that she almost won the BCC with it.
You better duck now! Very accurate though.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenhead
People are over-rating her performance because it was on dirt, it wasn't really a great performance by her or for her.
I disagree. This was a remarkable performance FOR HER. She ran her typical race, only this time, against far superior company to what she is used to, and she almost pulled it off...again...

I don't see how you can look at what she has been racing against (and almost losing to) all year long, then look at today's field that she almost defeated and say this wasn't a great performance FOR HER.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #13
bks

Quote:
I disagree. This was a remarkable performance FOR HER. She ran her typical race, only this time, against far superior company to what she is used to, and she almost pulled it off...again...

I don't see how you can look at what she has been racing against (and almost losing to) all year long, then look at today's field that she almost defeated and say this wasn't a great performance FOR HER.
Ready? Because this race was at 1 1/4 miles, which rendered all but about 2 of her competitors completely incapable of beating her given the likely race circumstances. The first four completely beat themselves, as they figured to, and other than Fly Down and Blame, who else was going to be finishing with her at a classic distance?

Beating St. trinian's with first run at 1 1/8 miles on synthetic, and beating Switch with first run at 1/16 miles on synthetic were pretty much equally difficult situations as having to run down Blame (maybe a hair less, maybe). Those horses had plenty of finish in them, and she had to be on her toes to go by.

As chickenhead said, she wasn't at her absolute best today. If this stretch drive unfolds 10 times, I'd say more than half the time she goes by. Today, she didn't and that's not to take anything away from Blame. Big heart from him.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

This whole "1 1/4 distance" card has really been overplayed in my opinion. Just have to get that off my chest.
Quote:
Beating St. trinian's with first run at 1 1/8 miles on synthetic, and beating Switch with first run at 1/16 miles on synthetic were pretty much equally difficult situations as having to run down Blame (maybe a hair less, maybe). Those horses had plenty of finish in them, and she had to be on her toes to go by.
I totally disagree with this entire concept presented above. Once again, you are overplaying the distance card.
Quote:
If this stretch drive unfolds 10 times, I'd say more than half the time she goes by. Today, she didn't and that's not to take anything away from Blame.
Why? What can change significantly during those 10 runnings that makes you believe she will win more than half of them? She got a decent enough trip...the pace was quick enough to knock out all of the early horses...what else is going to change to give her a better than 50/50 shot of winning?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2010, 11:54 PM   #15
Alacrity

Zenyatta. Especially considering she didn't figure out the track until about half way through the race.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply