Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Mulerider

Obscene neglect

I'll be contacting the LRC, not that it'll do any good. I honestly don't know what it would take to have a license revoked in Louisiana.

This poor horse last raced at Delta Downs on Feb. 23 this year. He died two days after this photo.

Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #2
thaskalos

"The Sport of Kings"
Old 10-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
clicknow

Speechless.

I have had the unfortunate experience of similarly starved hunting dogs come out of the woods looking like this, dogs that got "lost" during the hunting season and I guess cuz they didn't hunt good, the owners removed their identifying collars and just left them out there to fend for themselves. I was able to save every one (and I paid their vet bills) but had to call the Sheriff to shoot one of them because I knew, just by looking, that it was "too far gone" to even take to the vet. I honestly will never be able to get the image of that particular dog out of my mind. Most of them show up tick infested, sore feet, very thin, but not yet "skeletons" like this horse is, or that dog was.

God help us, really.

I've seen some horses over in Oklahoma that are "chowtah wintered" if you know what that is. Some human beings can be awful.

Last edited by clicknow; 10-21-2019 at 10:32 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
clicknow

Mule, what would be the "punishment" for this CRIME?

What can innocent bystanders do......who to call, this jurisdiction needs to be pummelled with calls and letters.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

What can innocent bystanders do......who to call, this jurisdiction needs to be pummelled with calls and letters.
It's virtually impossible to embarrass the Louisiana Horse Racing Commission. They are embarrass-proof.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

It's my understanding that the local sheriff's office will be pursuing animal cruelty charges against the owner.

That said, if something like this is not enough to warrant a license revocation, what exactly does it take? NTWO has all the relevant email addresses to the LRC posted in a subsequent tweet. I'll be emailing all of them except one L. Munster, the Executive Asst. Director, as it would be a pointless waste of time with him. Been there, done that.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
It's my understanding that the local sheriff's office will be pursuing animal cruelty charges against the owner.

That said, if something like this is not enough to warrant a license revocation, what exactly does it take? NTWO has all the relevant email addresses to the LRC posted in a subsequent tweet. I'll be emailing all of them except one L. Munster, the Executive Asst. Director, as it would be a pointless waste of time with him. Been there, done that.
I'm too old to fight, but I think I'd want a piece of those guys. WTF is wrong with some of these people out there?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 01:44 AM   #8
ultracapper

The caretakers that allowed this are sicker than the horse.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Thomas Sam has one horse entered each day tomorrow and Thursday and two on Friday.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 08:23 AM   #10
GMB@BP

As a horse owner who rescues other horses in trouble sadly this is not confined to horse racing, in fact I would say its a lot more prevalent with other breeds than race track t-breds.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Federal Regulations.
Because this is what we have in place now.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
jay68802

I sent E-mails to everybody listed in the tweet, I encourage everyone on this forum to do the same. As fans of this sport, there is very little we can do besides financially supporting organizations that try to help is situations like this. It's a shame that after all that has happened recently in LA and CAL, there are still horsemen that are unwilling, unable, or do not care enough, not to get help in situations like this.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

That’s great Jay and others who have acted.

This wasn’t a case of not having the money to feed him. Sam just claimed one for $10,000 a few days ago. According to one person, his excuse was that the horse wouldn’t fight for his feed. Lowlife. What you do as a horseman is separate him from the feed bullies, seeing to it that he gets his feed. You don’t just let him starve to literal death.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #14
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
That’s great Jay and others who have acted.

This wasn’t a case of not having the money to feed him. Sam just claimed one for $10,000 a few days ago. According to one person, his excuse was that the horse wouldn’t fight for his feed. Lowlife. What you do as a horseman is separate him from the feed bullies, seeing to it that he gets his feed. You don’t just let him starve to literal death.
Lowlife, indeed. And just learned that Thomas Sam is one of five "horsemen" on the "Backside Committee" at Delta, whatever that is. If the Commission won't act, Boyd should ban him from their tracks.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #15
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
According to one person, his excuse was that the horse wouldn’t fight for his feed. Lowlife. What you do as a horseman is separate him from the feed bullies, seeing to it that he gets his feed. You don’t just let him starve to literal death.
This horse, by the way, was an 8-year-old gelding that ran his first race in 2017 at age 6. He was bred and owned by Keith Sam. It's a father/son deal, I gather.