Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Ky Derby DQ Potential Fallout?

Now I must say that I didn’t bet on the race and I do feel that Maximum Security definitely warranted disqualification, but I feel that there might there is going to be a major fallout out of all of this:

Horse racing might lose a lot of it’s square bettors.

There was $9 million bet on second-choice Maximum Security in the WPS pools and countless millions bet in exotics, a lot of that being square money. They aren’t going to understand how their horse wins the race, but yet they lose their money anyway, and so far I have seen many, many posts on social media of people saying that the races are "fixed", "rigged", "disgraceful", "a rip off"...and those are just the many feelings of people who posted on the Kentucky Derby Twitter and Facebook pages. As if horse racing didn’t already have a sullied reputation. It might be safe to say that a lot of square bettors who bet on the disqualified winner might never bet another horse race again because they felt that they got cheated. It is going to be a public relations nightmare.

Nonetheless, the Preakness is going to turn into quite an interesting event. Not only are Flavien Prat, Bill Mott and the connections of Country House going to be unmercilessly booed by the crowd and turned into villains, whereas the connections of Maximum Security will be loudly cheered and made into the hero, but it’s going to take place in front of a grandstand that is one-third condemned.

My two cents anyway.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false

Last edited by Zman179; 05-05-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
AMPHAR

It probably helps the ratings of the Preakness IF Maximum Security goes.

The DQ and the opinion of 145 was stolen or that the DQ was justified probably fuels more stories in the next week vs a normal year. . Controversy sells.

Betting wise. I dunno. The NFL is a weekly nightmare of officiating, but people love sports betting.

Horse racing will probably get 5 more minutes on Monday morning sports talk radio. Heck, maybe one of analysts, trainer, jockey will get a phone interview.

I hope they appeal and start talking trash just to keep the drama going. Maybe steal some time from NFL and College Football discussion which won’t kick off in months.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The pretty people are home planning tonight's wardrobe to some event they have no idea about and the horseplayers are online at EB looking for today's scratches.

Life goes on.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179 View Post
Now I must say that I didn’t bet on the race and I do feel that Maximum Security definitely warranted disqualification, but I feel that there might there is going to be a major fallout out of all of this:

Horse racing might lose a lot of it’s square bettors.

There was $9 million bet on second-choice Maximum Security in the WPS pools and countless millions bet in exotics, a lot of that being square money. They aren’t going to understand how their horse wins the race, but yet they lose their money anyway, and so far I have seen many, many posts on social media of people saying that the races are "fixed", "rigged", "disgraceful", "a rip off"...and those are just the many feelings of people who posted on the Kentucky Derby Twitter and Facebook pages. As if horse racing didn’t already have a sullied reputation. It might be safe to say that a lot of square bettors who bet on the disqualified winner might never bet another horse race again because they felt that they got cheated. It is going to be a public relations nightmare.

Nonetheless, the Preakness is going to turn into quite an interesting event. Not only are Flavien Prat, Bill Mott and the connections of Country House going to be unmercilessly booed by the crowd and turned into villains, whereas the connections of Maximum Security will be loudly cheered and made into the hero, but it’s going to take place in front of a grandstand that is one-third condemned.

My two cents anyway.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...composer=false
Yeah, just like people will never bet on or watch another NFL game after the Saints got screwed in the playoffs last year, or the NBA admits missing calls in numerous playoff games, or 100 other things...some of you guys seriously need to watch another sport because controversial stuff like this happens A LOT, people who lost money bitch and moan, and life goes on.

The idea that Bill Mott will be booed at the Preakness was also seriously out of touch. No one drinking beer in the infield at the Preakness will know who Bill Mott is, much less boo him because his horse was placed first on a DQ.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Valuist

The next question is, are all fouls the same? Theoretically, sure. In reality, not a chance.

In the NBA, is anyone surprised when there's mild contact at the end of a game but no foul call? How about the end of game Hail Marys in the NFL where one could argue interference against multiple players on both sides?

Is a DQ more likely to occur in a maiden claiming race on a Thursday afternoon than in a grade 1? No doubt about it. And in any race, are stewards more hesitant to take down a winner, than a horse from 3rd to 5th? No doubt about it. That's just the way it is, and we have accepted it.

Having said that, I still like the idea of DQs only affecting distribution of the purse. Nice and black and white with no guesswork for the public.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
Thomas Roulston

If Country House wins the Preakness and the Belmont, he becomes the Roger Maris of racing, forever having an "asterisk" attached to his status as a Triple Crown winner - just like Forward Pass would have had he won the Preakness and the Belmont in 1968 (FP did win the Preakness, but finished second to Stage Door Johnny in the Belmont. SDJ went on to become a Solid-Professional chef-de-race for his exploits at stud).
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #7
metro

If there is one thing about horse players it is that they have short memories, self included. Seen way too many track goers walking out saying "I'll never be back to this place" a week later and there they are. Those that say they would boycott Churchill Downs from now on probably played the late double there last night.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

If they decided not to DQ there would also be major fallout. This was a no-win situation.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You know who's going to the track today?
Everyone who turned $2 into $130 yesterday.

Suckers! We'll take it back by the 4th race!~

Last edited by Tom; 05-05-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Suff
Beat up 💪

Maximum Security owner threatens legal action after ‘egregious’ Kentucky Derby DQ

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Maximum Security co-owner Gary West criticized race stewards’ disqualification of his horse’s Kentucky Derby victory as “egregious” and said he was pondering his next step, including a possible appeal.

“I think this is the most egregious disqualification in the history of horse racing, and not just because it’s our horse,” West told The Associated Press by phone Saturday night.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/05/maximu...ucky-derby-dq/
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Maximum Security owner threatens legal action after ‘egregious’ Kentucky Derby DQ

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Maximum Security co-owner Gary West criticized race stewards’ disqualification of his horse’s Kentucky Derby victory as “egregious” and said he was pondering his next step, including a possible appeal.

“I think this is the most egregious disqualification in the history of horse racing, and not just because it’s our horse,” West told The Associated Press by phone Saturday night.

As a former hose owner this is a "NO CLASS", (California Chrome) in the moment response and I would hope they just apologize and move on. They did well with their 16k claimer.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
Key2mint

RIGHT ON! Castaway 101

In 2005--The year of Giacomo and Katrina--I was in the infield all day near the stretch turn. I had been there all day. It was a hot day. The nearest place for WATER was hard to find. The people I had gotten to know by then had a spot staked out with the blue FEMA tarp for several years previous, and had their own supply which they graciously shared with me. Beer stands were easily accessible.The surrounding, screaming mob--most of whom were NOT horseplayers--becomes insanely loud just before and during this race. They're bunched up against the tall fence** on that turn. The rider, Saez, explained to Donna Barton Brothers that his horse (" just a baby") had shied from the noise there. The rest is history. ** In memory of the beer can thrown at Bombay Duck.
Key2mint is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
As a former hose owner this is a "NO CLASS", (California Chrome) in the moment response and I would hope they just apologize and move on. They did well with their 16k claimer.
I have no investment in the career wishes of trainers, jockeys or owners.

There will be more races. Line them up, run them. I'll bet them. That's my offer.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I have no investment in the career wishes of trainers, jockeys or owners.

There will be more races. Line them up, run them. I'll bet them. That's my offer.
^^^ this!
Old 05-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #15
Grits

And he's going on the Today show to talk about it tomorrow morning. How unfortunate for our sport.

PUUUHHHHLLLLLLZZZZZ

Quote:

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply