Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-20-2021, 12:45 PM   #91
iceknight

Thought I would check in after a while. Quick summary.
Another very typical partisan political thread with some standard elements.

1. Some people just making fun of Texas .
2. Cruz bad (from libs and some people even on conservative side who note the optics are bad, as well as lack of leadership). If he did need to go out of Texas, he could have at least chosen somewhere inside the US, to support the US economy. But instead he goes to Mexico, mightve as well gone to China, ok?

3. Diehard conservatives taking it too seriously and supporting Cruz no matter what and doing whatbaoutism of "but but Cuomo, but but Newsome and but but that mayor of Austin who went to Colorado, forgot to add Pelosi's haircut (I personally hated her even more for this) - all valid points of course, but doesnt give a pass to Cruz's actions during a really bad crisis). To be clear, I do lean more towards positions of the Left mainly because the Republicans have handed everything to the tea party and trump, and not standing anywhere close to orig Republican principles.

4. Some general back and forth on Biden, Trump, Kamala Harris etc.
5. Some points about AOC, Beto doing fundraising, crisis management etc
6. Some points about Federal vs State matters in general.

End of the day, absolute normal day in PA off topic, and everybody patting their own back.

If I missed any key elements in the Cliff notes summary, please add. thanks.

Last edited by iceknight; 02-20-2021 at 12:48 PM.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #92
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
This country has protected our electric grid in the event of a EMP attack, but failed to protect our people from the green whack jobs. I fault no man for spending time with his family, none of us are perfect.
Texas is (intentionally) not part of the various grid interconnections. "None of us are perfect, but none of us chose to represent the people and collect a cushy senate pay and benefits either". Weakest argument ever.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #93
xtb

Energy expert predicted Texas power grid would collapse like the Soviet Union

Quote:
"They recreated an old-style Soviet bureau and it's collapsed just like the Soviet economy did,” Hirs says.

He says if you’re a company that generates power, there’s no incentive to be ready for winter.

"In Texas, every generator really is geared toward providing service in July and August and September when it gets really hot,” Hirs said. “And throughout most of the year, not all of those generators are necessary. And because we don't pay the generators unless they're bringing electricity to market - at the end of September, they button up and go home."
https://13wham.com/news/nation-world...ion-02-19-2021

Interesting piece from 2013.

https://www.chron.com/opinion/outloo...ty-4301693.php
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #94
davew

the cold weather in Texas is being attributed to climate change? wtf

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...?ocid=msedgdhp
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #95
Marshall Bennett

AOC says we were lacking enough green energy.
Someone needs to throw that stupid bitch off a cliff.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #96
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
the cold weather in Texas is being attributed to climate change? wtf

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...?ocid=msedgdhp
People will recall fondly the days of global warming when we are in the grip of a Maunder Minimum.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #97
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I just heard that the real number for renewable energy that froze or stopped working is 35% and as of today it’s still just under 30%.

WTF?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 04:46 PM   #98
ElKabong

Quote:
some very high electricity bills showing up in Texas

do they have brokers and different sellers from the same lines?
I was a Broker (small to mid sized businesses targeted- not residential) until 2 yrs ago (late 2016-2019), never once tried to sell a short term contract to small business. People who tried to go w/ those 90 day contracts are now paying 5k a month, but those "know it alls" are few and far between.

People who don't take common sense into consideration eventually get whacked.

Until a couple of years ago selling energy as a Broker was a good way to make $$ in a bad economy. A broker talked me into the industry. Hard to make it on your own but if you have a lot of contacts and knew their businesses (having been in supply chain for a long while w/ 100s off suppliers) you have a shot at helping businesses save money.

Now it's much harder. Margins are way down due to REPs having expanded sales staffs. Getting competitive pricing from REPs is a tougher road. Without access to competitive pricing it isn't worth the effort
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden

Last edited by ElKabong; 02-20-2021 at 04:49 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #99
ElKabong

Quote:
I found it interesting that some ERCOT directors do not live in Texas and one doesn't even live in the USA.
5 that I've read of don't live here. They need to find employment elsewhere given their Org's disdain for the people who suffered because of poor management

I bet any Engineer working for ERCOT that mutters the words "standard deviation" will get bitchslapped on the spot
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 02-20-2021, 05:00 PM   #100
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I was a Broker (small to mid sized businesses targeted- not residential) until 2 yrs ago (late 2016-2019), never once tried to sell a short term contract to small business. People who tried to go w/ those 90 day contracts are now paying 5k a month, but those "know it alls" are few and far between.

People who don't take common sense into consideration eventually get whacked.

Until a couple of years ago selling energy as a Broker was a good way to make $$ in a bad economy. A broker talked me into the industry. Hard to make it on your own but if you have a lot of contacts and knew their businesses (having been in supply chain for a long while w/ 100s off suppliers) you have a shot at helping businesses save money.

Now it's much harder. Margins are way down due to REPs having expanded sales staffs. Getting competitive pricing from REPs is a tougher road. Without access to competitive pricing it isn't worth the effort
I had to negotiate a deal for my restaurant last year. Our locked in price/contract expired and the corporate types didn’t realize it. I got a 36k electric bill for 35 days. Normal was about 7-8k. We went into an “open market” deal which means we paid the daily market rate during August. It was as high as 63-70 cents a kWh on some days.

I refused to let corporate renew or negotiate a contract. I dealt with several brokers and right before signing with someone else the original company Starts with a “Reliant” ends with “screw you”
Came back and matched any offer we received. We ended up getting .02 cents less than our lowest offer from the others. I signed an 8 yr contract with an opt out at 5 if I want it. They cannot opt out. The numbers they make commercial/business customers pay are 4 times what residential Custm pay. I’m reading about 15k bills coming to residential customers.......I have only one choice in electricity at my home. Entergy. I’m hoping I don’t get killed.

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-20-2021 at 05:02 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 06:32 PM   #101
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
Thought I would check in after a while. Quick summary.
Another very typical partisan political thread with some standard elements.

1. Some people just making fun of Texas .
2. Cruz bad (from libs and some people even on conservative side who note the optics are bad, as well as lack of leadership). If he did need to go out of Texas, he could have at least chosen somewhere inside the US, to support the US economy. But instead he goes to Mexico, mightve as well gone to China, ok?

3. Diehard conservatives taking it too seriously and supporting Cruz no matter what and doing whatbaoutism of "but but Cuomo, but but Newsome and but but that mayor of Austin who went to Colorado, forgot to add Pelosi's haircut (I personally hated her even more for this) - all valid points of course, but doesnt give a pass to Cruz's actions during a really bad crisis). To be clear, I do lean more towards positions of the Left mainly because the Republicans have handed everything to the tea party and trump, and not standing anywhere close to orig Republican principles.

4. Some general back and forth on Biden, Trump, Kamala Harris etc.
5. Some points about AOC, Beto doing fundraising, crisis management etc
6. Some points about Federal vs State matters in general.

End of the day, absolute normal day in PA off topic, and everybody patting their own back.

Speaking of patting one's back.

Feel better now?
Old 02-20-2021, 06:33 PM   #102
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
To be clear, I do lean more towards positions of the Left mainly because the Republicans have handed everything to the tea party and trump, and not standing anywhere close to orig Republican principles.
And why do you think this happened?

It was precisely BECAUSE your "orig Republican principles" were NOT BEING carried out by Republicans!

That's why the "Tea Party" and Trump rose to prominence.

Do you honestly believe prior to the TeaParty or Trump, "orig Rep principles" were all the rage among elected representatives in the Republican party?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-20-2021 at 06:35 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #103
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I had to negotiate a deal for my restaurant last year. Our locked in price/contract expired and the corporate types didn’t realize it. I got a 36k electric bill for 35 days. Normal was about 7-8k. We went into an “open market” deal which means we paid the daily market rate during August. It was as high as 63-70 cents a kWh on some days.

I refused to let corporate renew or negotiate a contract. I dealt with several brokers and right before signing with someone else the original company Starts with a “Reliant” ends with “screw you”
Came back and matched any offer we received. We ended up getting .02 cents less than our lowest offer from the others. I signed an 8 yr contract with an opt out at 5 if I want it. They cannot opt out. The numbers they make commercial/business customers pay are 4 times what residential Custm pay. I’m reading about 15k bills coming to residential customers.......I have only one choice in electricity at my home. Entergy. I’m hoping I don’t get killed.
Ralph,

In the future, do this... sign up with BOX/ Broker Online Exchange. Before doing so, look at the website and see what I'm talking about. YOU pay zero commission for YOUR business and you're under no obligation to sell to anyone else

If businesses had known this I wouldn't have made a dime selling energy for 3 yrs. Business owners can be their own broker. Get a VERY low pricing and not pay any commission

2 yrs ago I was selling different REPs (tri eagle, ambit, txu etc) as an Independent Broker at 3.75 cents per kwh on 36 month terms. Those prices don't exist now, but if you sign up w/ BOX you'll get lower pricing as humanly possible

I'd sell a 24-30 month deal with a convenience store, annual commission with my sale would be anywhere from $700 to 1k. And I was severely under cutting what REP sales people had offered the businesses.

Deregulation was both good and bad. Good if you're smart, bad if you're not.

Check out BOX, you have nothing to lose. No yearly fee, nothing. For the life of me I don't know why small business owners don't do this. BOX markets that angle to no end
Old 02-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #104
ElKabong

Quote:
MKAY....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EuomToaWYAYzKbB.jpg (53.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-20-2021, 11:46 PM   #105
summersquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I’m reading about 15k bills coming to residential customers.......I have only one choice in electricity at my home. Entergy. I’m hoping I don’t get killed.
I to am a reidential Entergy customer. Unlike ERCOT Entergy is a part of the MISO grid which stretches from Canada to GoMx. It is my understanding that Entergy remains a fully regulated utility, responsible for both the energy component and the delivery component of electricity. As a result, your energy prices should not be subject to the spot market, as many who have chosen their own energy suppliers will be. That said, there's the possibility/likelihood that Entergy requests a rate increase in near future as a result of significant costs incurred during this weather event.

~ Lily Tomlin

Last edited by summersquall; 02-20-2021 at 11:48 PM.
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply