Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-13-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Lukas back buying top prospects at 87

Quote:
Lukas Enjoys Limelight With $1M Into Mischief Buy
The Hall of Fame trainer secured a seven-figure colt Sept. 13 at Keeneland.
Quote:
With his aviator shades and his megawatt grin, Hall of Fame trainer D, Wayne Lukas found himself back in the limelight for the second straight day at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale.

After making headlines with a $1.15 million Quality Road colt purchased for the BC Stables of John Bellinger and Brian Coelho during the sale's opening session, Lukas emerged victorious again Sept. 13 on another blueblood—this one by leading sire Into Mischief
Frank Taylor, congratulating Lukas on the purchase, joked, "You bought the fastest horse in the sale!"

Lukas concurred.

"He's gonna be quick," he said. "I think he's very, very typey. The thing I liked about him, he must've shown 100 times and he never took a wrong step, he always just bowed his neck. I love his energy. This horse has a lot of energy and I love it. He is really a well-conformed horse, he's not real lengthy but I think he'll be a great 2-year-old."
read the rest

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...o-mischief-buy
Old 09-13-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
By Into Mischief from a full sister to Cross Traffic. Even I know that's primo breeding (I'm sure Spalding No! can fill in the details on it).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-13-2022, 11:08 PM   #3
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
By Into Mischief from a full sister to Cross Traffic. Even I know that's primo breeding (I'm sure Spalding No! can fill in the details on it).
I just went over this family with the overrated-and-subsequent-disappointment-on-the-heels-of-a-multi-million-dollar-stud-deal 2yo named Gulfport, who bombed twice at Saratoga after Coolmore coughed up copious green (in the form of dollar bills, not phlegm).

I think the average number of starts for each member of the immediate family is something like 3. To be fair, Gulfport is by Uncle Mo (8 starts).

This thing is by Into Mischief, who made just 6 starts.

That said, when they are blowing money on all sorts of Quality Roads (no classic winners) & Curlins (seems to have tailed off), buying an Into Mischief even for $10 million would still be more sane.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 09:03 PM   #4
1st time lasix

I agree with the assessment that people have been blowing money on Quality Road offspring. Having owned apiece of one … I have closely followed numerous horses he has sired the past eight plus years. Most underachieve. In fact….based on the price they still tend to get at auction… he could possibly be among the most overrated sires. As a handicapper…. I tend to dismiss many of his young juveniles ……. Sometimes people forget that he was a true nut case.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2022, 10:13 PM   #5
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
I agree with the assessment that people have been blowing money on Quality Road offspring. Having owned apiece of one … I have closely followed numerous horses he has sired the past eight plus years. Most underachieve. In fact….based on the price they still tend to get at auction… he could possibly be among the most overrated sires. As a handicapper…. I tend to dismiss many of his young juveniles ……. Sometimes people forget that he was a true nut case.
I'm not much of a pedigree junkie. Are there a couple of recent successes breeding Quality Road to a certain line of broodmares? If so, are these recent high ticket ones on a similar cross/nick? That's the only thing I can think of as a reason.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 09:35 AM   #6
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I just went over this family with the overrated-and-subsequent-disappointment-on-the-heels-of-a-multi-million-dollar-stud-deal 2yo named Gulfport, who bombed twice at Saratoga after Coolmore coughed up copious green (in the form of dollar bills, not phlegm).

I think the average number of starts for each member of the immediate family is something like 3. To be fair, Gulfport is by Uncle Mo (8 starts).

This thing is by Into Mischief, who made just 6 starts.

That said, when they are blowing money on all sorts of Quality Roads (no classic winners) & Curlins (seems to have tailed off), buying an Into Mischief even for $10 million would still be more sane.
What makes you say that Curlin is tailing off?
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 06:24 PM   #7
PalaceOfFortLarned

Coach doing solid work with his 2YOs this year as well.

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #8
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday Silent View Post
What makes you say that Curlin is tailing off?
I was basing it off of his impact on the Triple Crown in recent years. The colts don't seem to hold up or pan out.

You certainly can't fault his importance in the female divisions right now, though.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2022, 07:43 PM   #9
BroadwayJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
I was basing it off of his impact on the Triple Crown in recent years. The colts don't seem to hold up or pan out.

You certainly can't fault his importance in the female divisions right now, though.
Curlin has 10 winning 2 yo's since Jan 1, 2021

Here's part of the top...

Remember these are 2 yo's

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (157.6 KB, 11 views)
BroadwayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2022, 01:55 AM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Coach doing solid work with his 2YOs this year as well.

https://twitter.com/EJXD2/status/1574410075938193413
Rewarding the bettors too!
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
stlseeeek

he's ran a lot of horses into their graves, for the insurance(breeding cash) $.

I still remember a guy on here, 8?10? years ago, showing the typical, d wayne move, when they dont fill to potential, but have a policy on them.

DNF, bullet, 5 days later on track, and blew up around first turn.
stlseeeek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: