Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-31-2021, 08:32 PM   #46
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
Most of the time I would agree with you. Clear to the lead, take the rail and make your opposition cover more ground. Mike has never done that with Life Is Good. In his maiden race Life As Good easily made the lead and Mike could have put him on the rail but he didn't. In the Sham Life Is Good did not break as sharp as a few of the others did. Life Is Good quickly gathered the other horses up by the time they entered the 1st turn. Mike could have easily put Life As Good on the rail but he didn't. In the San Felipe Life As Good actually broke from the rail. Life Is Good easily broke to the lead and Mike only had to move 1 path to the left to find himself on the rail. Mike made a concerted effort to keep Life As Good of the rail.

Logic would dictate once you clear to the lead take the shortest way home which is the rail. I would assume since Mike has made a concerted effort to keep Life Is Good off the rail in everyone of his races he has a reason for doing so. Do you have an opinion on why Mike would be doing so?
Because he's was so much the best there was no reason to employ any strategic tactics.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:36 PM   #47
jay68802

The horse hates the crop, might not like running near the rail either....
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2021, 12:35 AM   #48
taxicab

There's a reason Mike Smith can't ride LIG hard.
It could be as simple as he's about as fragile as they come(the Colt,not MS).
He just seems like a horse that could fall apart at anytime.
I think the obvious tell is the way the horse doesn't run straight and gets as far away from the rail as possible.
Physical problems somewhere on him.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2021, 12:44 AM   #49
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
I think the obvious tell is the way the horse doesn't run straight and gets as far away from the rail as possible.
I'd sure like a barn full of cripples that can run 7/8th's in 121- and get beat a neck in a Grade 1.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:40 AM   #50
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I'd sure like a barn full of cripples that can run 7/8th's in 121- and get beat a neck in a Grade 1.
You can't be this dense.
The context of my post never implied that LIG isn't a classy,Grade 1 horse.
Of course you're the same person who claimed he might know more about riding a racehorse than a HOF jockey.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2021, 02:03 AM   #51
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
LIG reminds me of a Nick Zito trained gelding by the name of Commentator. This horse always was full throttle every time he ran. Zito gave him a 60 day lay-off after each race to hold him together and managed to get 24 races out of the horse before he retired.

Commentator was ultra game but fragile, and a $2 Million earner.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2021, 02:25 AM   #52
v j stauffer

Quote:
You can't be this dense.
The context of my post never implied that LIG isn't a classy,Grade 1 horse.
Of course you're the same person who claimed he might know more about riding a racehorse than a HOF jockey.
Sure I can be that dense.

My density knows no bounds.

If LIG had been angled to the rail and forced JW to go around we wouldn't be having this argument. HE WOULD HAVE WON THE RACE.

IMO the ride was poor.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:27 AM   #53
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
LIG reminds me of a Nick Zito trained gelding by the name of Commentator. This horse always was full throttle every time he ran. Zito gave him a 60 day lay-off after each race to hold him together and managed to get 24 races out of the horse before he retired.

Commentator was ultra game but fragile, and a $2 Million earner.
Good analogy.

He's a lot like COMMENTATOR.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #54
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

When did chart comments become so wordy? I remember (30 years ago ) having much success with "improved his position." My IHP shorthand was almost always the brick on the scales when it came to decision-time.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2021, 10:01 AM   #55
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
When did chart comments become so wordy? I remember (30 years ago ) having much success with "improved his position." My IHP shorthand was almost always the brick on the scales when it came to decision-time.
I watch replays at a lot of tracks (head on and pan) looking for things the chart caller may have missed. IMO, whoever does NY is VERY good. He's a bit wordy but the quality is very good.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #56
classhandicapper

It sounds to me like LIG will be stretching back out but the timetable won't allow for a race in the BC Classic. So I guess he'll either run at PARX or in a race at Belmont and then maybe cut back to the BC Mile?
Old 09-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #57
classhandicapper

For the record, Smith often rides front runners a couple of paths off the rail even on days when the rail is fine. I'm not entirely sure this ride was horse specific even though it might have been because this horse has misbehaved a little in the past.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:11 PM   #58
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
It sounds to me like LIG will be stretching back out but the timetable won't allow for a race in the BC Classic. So I guess he'll either run at PARX or in a race at Belmont and then maybe cut back to the BC Mile?
I assume the goal is the dirt mile. I would think they would point to the Kelso at Belmont as it's a 1 turn mile. Assuming all goes well my guess would be they might target the Saudi Cup.

Last edited by SharpCat; 09-01-2021 at 03:16 PM.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply