Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-08-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
CBYRacer

Canterbury Park - Race 1 - July 8

For anyone that has access to race replays, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on the jockey's ride on #1 Arizona Sun in the first race tonight at Canterbury.

I felt like she was tracking nicely behind the leader in a clear spot. Then, it seemed like the jockey held her up a bit about mid turn, then again nearing the stretch. Am I looking too much into this? Can someone please help me understand this ride a bit better?

Thanks!
CBYRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
sharkey11

i hate when jocks are standing on mount look at 3 horse jock nice an crouched behind horses head. anyway looked like 5 ran in front of your 1 top of turn and jock stoped riding at that point ofcourse mabey horse didnt have it today and it was a workout race @ 7-5 co fav. not my cup of tea . anyway best of luck sir
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #3
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Wish I could say you may have something there, but all I saw was a horse who had already won several in a row--just didn't have anything left, to extend the streak. The rider (Negron) got all he could from ARIZONA SUN. A rest may be what 'Arizona needs right now.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
CBYRacer

Thanks, Norcal & Sharkey. It's helpful to hear how others see it to keep things in perspective. Good insights.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:24 PM   #5
Onesome

In the UK or HK, the jock would get about a week vacation for failure to ride out and losing 3rd. Probably would have lost 3rd if ridden out, but these jurisdictions take jockeys stopping riding to the line very seriously.

Curious if in its 3 previous wins was it on the lead or rating like he was today? I get the feeling he doesn't like dirt in the face.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2021, 12:54 AM   #6
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesome View Post
In the UK or HK, the jock would get about a week vacation for failure to ride out and losing 3rd. Probably would have lost 3rd if ridden out, but these jurisdictions take jockeys stopping riding to the line very seriously.

Curious if in its 3 previous wins was it on the lead or rating like he was today? I get the feeling he doesn't like dirt in the face.
Interesting.

2 most recent wins she pressed (~2 lengths off lead at half-mile). On the lead in the first of the three wins. Trip today was very similar.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:26 AM   #7
camourous

I watched the race on TVG and thought it was a terrible ride, not sure if he stiffed the horse on purpose, but he did not give his best effort to ensure the best finish for the horse
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #8
westernmassbob

If the jock would have just stayed tucked behind the leader until the stretch he would have least made third and possibly 2nd. Probably thought the horse had more then he obviously did not have.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by camourous View Post
I watched the race on TVG and thought it was a terrible ride, not sure if he stiffed the horse on purpose, but he did not give his best effort to ensure the best finish for the horse
This was my impression as well. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
CBYRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
If the jock would have just stayed tucked behind the leader until the stretch he would have least made third and possibly 2nd. Probably thought the horse had more then he obviously did not have.
Yes. I'm not quite sure what the jock was trying to accomplish. It seemed like he had the opportunity for a perfect trip (short field, set up right behind the leader) but ended up strangling the horse on the turn.

Not sure if the horse would have won, but seems like her chances were at least partially compromised by the ride
Old 07-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
CBYRacer

Do racing commissions or tracks ever review race replays and pose questions to jockeys or trainers on intent or effort? More transparency on these things is needed. Again, I don't care that I lost (only bet $10), and the race itself was not a consequential one, I just didn't think that there was a good faith effort to compete. Could be wrong, but at least an independent review could cast some light on jockey's intent. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2021, 01:07 AM   #12
FRMNBRI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYRacer View Post
Do racing commissions or tracks ever review race replays and pose questions to jockeys or trainers on intent or effort? More transparency on these things is needed. Again, I don't care that I lost (only bet $10), and the race itself was not a consequential one, I just didn't think that there was a good faith effort to compete. Could be wrong, but at least an independent review could cast some light on jockey's intent. Thoughts?
I just watched the race for you and to me it looked like the jock had a lot of horse still underneath him and almost seem to get himself bottled up behind the others. Which you wonder how they can even do that with such a short field. I agree with the others by saying it was not a good ride. Don't ever dis regard your bet bc of the size my man. Whether you bet 10 dollars or 1000 dollars you still want the jockey to ride the horse like he should and give it 100%.
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 01:14 AM   #13
FRMNBRI

To answer your other question and I could be wrong so someone please correct me if I am. Yes the stewards and racing commission do look at this type of thing but I think it depends a lot on the outcome of the race. Maybe it triggers some very suspicious winning tickets or multiple, multiple exactas and trifectas etc. Look back and read about when the trainer Maragh got fined and suspended at GP several years ago. Multiple entires in the race and I believe the heavy favorite finished out of the money in a short field. Just rode the horse like he was on a breeze only to say that he was sick and dehydrated and couldn't give anything else while riding in fear of falling of his mount.
FRMNBRI is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #14
dnlgfnk

Was I watching the same race? She's allowed speed on her own courage early, attempts to stalk later backstretch until Full of Grace approaches on her outside, angles out a bit entering turn rousing reins with right hand, briefly under hold thinking he'll stalk on stretch turn when Full of Grace reaches Ring Leader, roused again, whipped 7 times until obviously going to be passed by Nat Glo. Did nothing to stop the momentum of a half ton animal in the late stretch who had already been encouraged.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:40 PM   #15
Boomer

The key here is watching the head on and you will see a different dynamic.

The was trying to savage the most of the backstretch and it through the off his game and the became unruly as well and seemed somewhat uncontrollable.

These are not machines and the and where involved in their own pissing contest.

Once clear jock on was flailing away in the lane. No malice in this race.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply