Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
thelyingthief

Bris Past Performances

Do the either the Trackmaster or Bris files have an option to view the old DFR SR+TV values?

thanks in advance
tlt
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelyingthief View Post
Do the either the Trackmaster or Bris files have an option to view the old DFR SR+TV values?

thanks in advance
tlt
BRIS has them in the datafile, so if you use their PP Generator program, that is an option. You can see them as is, or you can show them added together if you like.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
ubercapper

The DRF figures would not be available in any TrackMaster (or Equibase) product.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That is odd - how does BRIS get them in their datafiles - don't they get the data from EB?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is odd - how does BRIS get them in their datafiles - don't they get the data from EB?
I would guess they calculate them on their own, not exactly a complicated formula. Maybe I'm giving too much credit though.

Last edited by cj; 01-24-2020 at 01:04 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
vegasone

From what I have seen, Bris gets the generic data files and adds whatever unique fields are proprietary to the different data files such as Multicaps etc. If you check for fields in their data files you should be able to spot the differences between the files. That’s why you can usually input most of the files into the same database.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
AltonKelsey
Veteran

If you really were desperate, dont know why you'd be, you could easily calculate them on your own in excel .

Maybe I should offer the service , only $5 a day per track
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #8
RonTiller

The DRF SR & TV you are referring to are just the 3 year best based speed rating and track variant. The calculation is not complicated nor subject to subjective judgements. The period of the 3 years is the only thing that might be different.

I cannot speak to how anybody who publishes a 3 year best SR & TV does it now. HDW includes it in our data files but it is literally the last 3 years (365 X 3 days) from the date of today's race.

Years ago, in the 90s, the DRF based it on the previous 3 calendar years, so on Dec 31st 2019, the reference 3 years was still the best time in 2018, 2017 and 2016. Moreover, on Jan 1st, there was not an automatic switchover to the previous 3 years. In one year in the mid 90s, the switchover happened a few months into the year (I'm thinking March). At that time, we were using the previous 3 calendar years as well, so the numbers were at least close to the numbers published by the DRF at the time. We had some customers call and complain that our 3 year best numbers were wrong - they did not match those published in the DRF. The DRF did not switch over to new years on Jan 1 and we did. It was next to impossible to convince anybody that the DRF published 3 year best numbers were not correct (because they were not based on the previous 3 years of data yet) so we actually put up 3 year best numbers to match the DRF 3 year best numbers. At some point they switched and then a few weeks later they reverted back to the original old out of date 3 year window. Soon after, they stabilized to the 3 previous calendar years and so did we.

The 3 year best numbers are so bad that I honestly don't think it made a difference in their quality or performance to have outdated 3 year reference windows or even reference windows that unexpectedly changed back and forth.

I don't say this to criticize the DRF data from the 90s. That's was 25 years ago and crap happens. I still hear people sometimes refer to the 3 year best SR and TV as DRF SR and TV, which is fine. I do not know if that originated with the DRF but it seems to me they had been publishing it for a long long time. Because they transparently explained what it was, it was and is easy to calculate - just the reference 3 years is subject to differences of opinion

And yes, BRIS is fully capable of doing the minimal work required to produce a 3 year best set of numbers. As is the DRF. Or Equibase/Trackmaster. As are hundreds (thousands?) of people on Pace Advantage. Its really only a question of whether it is felt worthwhile to make and distribute them.

And yes, I witnessed Tom Hambleton and others utilize the 3 year best numbers in their handicapping, because that was all that was available at the time. He and others were at the top of their game even with less than top quality numbers but abandoned them when better numbers became readily available. The original TPR numbers in the 1st edition of Pace Makes the Race had an adjustment based on the 3yb TV. But I do not regard that as an argument for 3 year best numbers; it is rather an argument for being as good a handicapper as Tom Hambleton, Dick Schmidt and others in that orbit.

Ron Tiller
HDW
RonTiller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I remember when we didn't even have the TV - just the SR!
But back in the day, Philadelphia (Parx) had a really fast record for 1m70 - like 8-10 points faster than the other routes. So your adjustments were really off if you had a day where they only ran 1m70 races. I had MSW races faster than stakes races in the
PPs.

But it was all we had.
And we had to walk three miles uphill to get it!