Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Baron Star Gregg

Turf Riders

Cornelio Velasquez just won the last two turf races at Gulfstream. I have long considered him an under rated turf jock. Richard Eramia is another in that category. Other than the jocks that are acknowledged turf riders like CNak and the French riders, who do you think has a special talent for the grass?

EDIT: DQ at Gulfstream.
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Star Gregg
Cornelio Velasquez just won the last two turf races at Gulfstream. I have long considered him an under rated turf jock. Richard Eramia is another in that category. Other than the jocks that are acknowledged turf riders like CNak and the French riders, who do you think has a special talent for the grass?

The Human Anchor, C Vel, is the quintissential example of a broken clock being right twice a day.

He is the most stubborn jock, who actually thinks he can think. (I know, that is deep).

Anyway.... The Human Anchor chokes everything down, like he's Hulk Hogan squeezing Andre the Giant for his life. So, as he does this, he coincidentally saves ground and rates for the drive. If you do this every race, you will accidentally win your share of races. A true great jock adjusts to every race like his life is on the line for the race.

The Human Anchor is no where NEAR intelligent enough to do so.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
SuperPickle

Corneilo isn't great it's just a statement on the strength of that colony. When you compare daily purses to colony depth Gulfstream probably ranks near the bottom.

That being said he's probably won as many races in his career as the rest of the colony combined.

He is notorious for taking everything back. His first week down there he definitely took a couple horses too far back. I'll be curious to see if as his rides more his timing improves.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
ultracapper

In SoCal, Talamo and Baze aren't necessarily acknowledged as anything special on the turf, but both prove it time and time again that they can measure the finish line as well as anyone riding down there right now. You mentioned Nakatani. The guy is exceptional on the downhill of Santa Anita, but that's nobody's secret. What is a secret is that Baze rides a lot like him on that course.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Star Gregg

Joe Bravo & Joel Rosario among the very best on any turf course.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
Quesmark

Javier Castellano usually works out good tactical trips,and Horacio Karamanos a Maryland regular moves up,and motivates horses well.
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
RXB

Bravo and Karamanos definitely move up on turf.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #8
RXB

Should add that Presque Isle is a good spot for Mario Pino because turf & synthetic suit his style better than dirt.

Antonio Gallardo is another guy that I like in grass & synth races.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #9
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Bravo and Karamanos definitely move up on turf.
One of my handicapping cronies swears by Bravo on the grass.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #10
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
The Human Anchor, C Vel, is the quintissential example of a broken clock being right twice a day.

He is the most stubborn jock, who actually thinks he can think. (I know, that is deep).

Anyway.... The Human Anchor chokes everything down, like he's Hulk Hogan squeezing Andre the Giant for his life. So, as he does this, he coincidentally saves ground and rates for the drive. If you do this every race, you will accidentally win your share of races. A true great jock adjusts to every race like his life is on the line for the race.

The Human Anchor is no where NEAR intelligent enough to do so.
The thing about Cornelio V., yes, he's an off the pace type of rider, but in my opinion, he does not wait for the stretch drive as often as other riders. On turf in particular, Cornelio has won a lot of turf races in his career and in many of those wins he gunned his horse wide on the turn and got into striking position by the quarter pole. He is not an inside rider and he doens't get blocked on the hedge a lot like some other turf riders.

Many other jockeys wait until longer on turf. Others get boxed in behind horses on the inside. Cornelio likes to get them into gear a bit sooner and he prefers being on the outside. I've seen him do this hundreds of times. Some may say he moved them too soon or races too wide but for me, it's frustrating when a jockey waits too long to make his move and then comes on late to finish third or fourth, or gets boxed in and clears late.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
no breathalyzer
Veteran

Lezcano is top notch ... Franco is solid as well
no breathalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #12
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
One of my handicapping cronies swears by Bravo on the grass.
16% Turf for the year,15% overall
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
Arapola

The kid @ GP, Emisael Jaramillo seems very promising to me on the sod.
I also like the Ortiz brothers in NY.
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
letswastemoney

Jose Lezcano has always been the best current turf jockey for me.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Prytanis

J V is the best IMO
Then:
Lezcano
Franco