Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 05:14 AM   #91
Poindexter

Don’t want to attack her. I just frankly do not think she is ready yet. Her voice seems fine. She seems to have a lot of passion for doing this. Why throw her to the wolves and destroy her image before she gets a chance to develop. Seems to me that you would put her in another room in front of a tape recorder, hire a professional announcer to coach her (even if it is someone that is retired), let her watch her own work, let the coach review the tapes with her and 2 or 3 months later you have a good announcer potentially. If not you go with someone else. But honestly this is sort of silly. This is a ridiculously tough job to do well without the proper preparation. Give her a chance to succeed.

Track announcers are very important to this game. I grew up listening to Harry Henson , Robin Burns at Hollywood park harness and then as I was in my twenties was enjoying Trevor in his prime. I was obviously young but these 3 announcers brought an excitement and adrenaline rush from this sport that I frankly have not had since. During that same time period I probably listened to 15 other announcers on a regular basis that did nothing to enhance my enjoyment of the sport. Personal preference.

Even when I was playing Woodbine Mohawk park a couple of years ago I was disappointed when their main announcer missed a night. Underestimating the importance of track announcers in this sport and probably in most sports is a big mistake. It is part of the package.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:42 AM   #92
Brisk Urging
Veteran

The need to defend the worst announcer in history is a interesting watch.if she was a man there’s no way anyone would be defending..Equality or pandering?
Old 11-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #93
castaway01

I put all of the blame on Parx for putting someone on the air who is not ready for it. I don't blame her for taking the job, but with all the grief people like Grunder, Battaglia, etc. took on here for bad calls over the years, it's not sexist to point out that she is not currently capable of calling a race at a professional level. It's like taking someone calling high school football for a year and putting them on an NFL game on national TV. That doesn't happen, and I don't know why this happened because besides calling the wrong horses or the wrong actions she just sounds very uncomfortable.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:41 AM   #94
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
The need to defend the worst announcer in history is a interesting watch.if she was a man there’s no way anyone would be defending..Equality or pandering?
I mean someone threw out the term "perfect" on here. Are we kidding?
Old 11-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #95
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
This effort from last Wednesday sums it up.

Winner despite always being withing two lengths of the lead gets called by name only twice including just squeezing it in as they cross the wire. 3rd was called only once, two horses never mentioned at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1F6rmedzGg

https://twitter.com/jackkim36/status...589763/photo/2
Old 11-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #96
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
Awful got a migraine trying to listen to her but what do you expect from a bush track like Parks
Which, I assume, explains your inability to spell.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #97
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post

Track announcers are very important to this game. I grew up listening to Harry Henson , Robin Burns at Hollywood park harness and then as I was in my twenties was enjoying Trevor in his prime. I was obviously young but these 3 announcers brought an excitement and adrenaline rush from this sport that I frankly have not had since. During that same time period I probably listened to 15 other announcers on a regular basis that did nothing to enhance my enjoyment of the sport. Personal preference.

Sounds like me, I even liked Alan Buchdahl, the back up announcer at Santa Anita. I even moved around so much in SoCal till I hit my 30's we may have lived in the same city. SoCal also had Chick Hearn, Dick Enberg, and Vin Scully at that same time calling team sports. I think back in the day SoCal
had the cream of announcers through out sports, so anyone who grew up there was definitely spoiled.

That being said this maybe a rough crowd, but a lot of the criticism is deserved. I am pulling for her, I go listen to all the race calls that are referenced and always hope to see improvement. So far I really don't see much. I know it is a tough job, that not many excel at, but one has to wonder why they threw her to the wolves as green as she is. You always wonder what goes on behind closed doors.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:50 AM   #98
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Sounds like me, I even liked Alan Buchdahl, the back up announcer at Santa Anita. I even moved around so much in SoCal till I hit my 30's we may have lived in the same city. SoCal also had Chick Hearn, Dick Enberg, and Vin Scully at that same time calling team sports. I think back in the day SoCal
had the cream of announcers through out sports, so anyone who grew up there was definitely spoiled.

That being said this maybe a rough crowd, but a lot of the criticism is deserved. I am pulling for her, I go listen to all the race calls that are referenced and always hope to see improvement. So far I really don't see much. I know it is a tough job, that not many excel at, but one has to wonder why they threw her to the wolves as green as she is. You always wonder what goes on behind closed doors.
Don't forget Bob Miller who is enshrined in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Honorable mention to Ralph Lawlor and Dick Lane.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #99
lamboguy

Quote:

she is a very smart person and i am sure she will get some help and make it easier on her. right now she is very nervous. i hope she becomes great and we don't need to prolong this thread any longer just to say the same things over and over again.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:57 AM   #100
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Some guys hold attractive women to a lower standard and act like a male dog around a female dog in heat around them. I had a supervisory role at a large manufacturing company before striking out on my own. I was allowed input when it came to hiring high skilled labor like a journeyman machinist, the lower skilled and indirects were just dumped on me without much warning.

I was the opposite of most guys, when they assigned an attractive woman to my department I probably did not show much enthusiasm when greeting them.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #101
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Don't forget Bob Miller who is enshrined in the NHL Hall of Fame.

Honorable mention to Ralph Lawlor and Dick Lane.

No slight to the others, I am only watch hockey in the Stanley Cup finals or if the local team makes the playoffs. As for Ralph Lawler, I will yell "Bingo" if a team makes a key 3 till the day I die. As for Dick Lane I had to Google him,
are you referring to the wrestling and roller derby announcer? If so I did watch that stuff when I was a kid.

Ed Burgart, definitely needs a mention, along with the guy who preceded him, whose name escapes me. He would always say "they're running" when the quarter horses broke from the gate.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:19 AM   #102
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
she is a very smart person and i am sure she will get some help and make it easier on her. right now she is very nervous. i hope she becomes great and we don't need to prolong this thread any longer just to say the same things over and over again.

Does a good announcer critique themselves or are there people on the track staff that do it? I have no inside knowledge of the game other than what I read here. I did notice she seems to lose her place when she makes comments about the back of the field and then comes back to the front.
That could be getting used to binoculars. When I was younger, and before a local OTB opened up, I would bring binoculars and watch the races through them. It took a lot of getting used to.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:22 AM   #103
craigbraddick

Quote:

I got a totally unexpected phone call from Alan Buchdahl earlier this year, wanting to comment on one of my race calls where he thought he saw an area I could improve in. Never had met Alan, have no idea how he got my number, but was very happy to learn from an experienced announcer.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #104
dilanesp

Quote:
You never heard Bine Masters or Gunnar Froines.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #105
Robert Fischer
clean money

just be yourself!
you got this!!!

If she's breaking boundaries ('first woman to call xyz' etc...) (I have no freakin' clue whether or not or any care, but I support the cause if it exists)

then IDGAF if she's lousy.
She can break boundaries with positivity and smiles, and we can even parlay a distortion of the criticism of her calls as sexist.

However, this means it should open doors for a couple other female race callers who are actually competent at race calling itself.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: