Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
“The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”

They have the right to vote by getting to the polling place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Except it doesn't say that.
Mandating people who are incapcitated to physically travel to a polling place certainly abridges their rights.

The US mail does pre date the constitution. Did they have mail in ballots in 1789? Even with no train or telegraph I bet election results got in almost as fast as today. A relay team of horse riders handing off ballots could move them 100+ miles in a day. How far is it from Georgia or New Hampshire to DC?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #17
proximity

maybe it is "wrong" per the constitution or whatever but i agree with jocko.

after all it's the taxes that come from the LABOR supplied by us suckers who actually leave our houses to work the crappy overtime, double, and graveyard shifts that finance the whole racket we're voting for. they could at least plow the roads better for us when it snows!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2022, 10:04 PM   #18
mostpost

Quote:
I think mail in is great. We need to get more people voting. What we need is specific proceedures enforced AHEAD of the election.
It can be done.

Votes should be counted timely.
No reason they can't be counted starting Monday before the election, and reporting the results by noon Monday the day before, so there are no "surprises" after live voting.
OK. This is very upsetting. I agree with you. Please change your opinion immediately.

One thing though is you can’t announce the results by noon Monday, because that could effect those who might be voting on Election Day.

The problem is in many states they are not even allowed to look at the ballots or open the envelopes until Election Day. Then election officials are inundated by millions of ballots which need to have signatures verified, envelopes opened, ballots scanned etc.

So yes, verify the signatures ahead of time, open the envelopes under supervision and store them in a secure location on Funk and Wagnalls back porch. Then count them in the presence of whatever poll watchers deemed appropriate.

One problem is some states release mail in votes first then same day. Others do the opposite. Why not release them as they are counted. Votesfrom a precinct or counting center come in -release them. Mail in votes come in, release that count.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:15 PM   #19
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The US mail does pre date the constitution. Did they have mail in ballots in 1789? Even with no train or telegraph I bet election results got in almost as fast as today. A relay team of horse riders handing off ballots could move them 100+ miles in a day. How far is it from Georgia or New Hampshire to DC?
There was no DC in 1789. There was also no Pony Express. Up until the 1930’s Inauguration Day was in March because of the time it took to count the vote and get the elected officials to the Capitol. There was also no national news media so chances are the first time people in Massachusetts knew who people in Georgia voted for was when the Electoral College met.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:19 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

How many people vote by mail that could not do it in person? Need a way to eliminate those, as they slow the vote tallying process. Most all the people I knew that could not vote in person without assistance still thought Calvin Coolidge was president.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
There was no DC in 1789. There was also no Pony Express. Up until the 1930’s Inauguration Day was in March because of the time it took to count the vote and get the elected officials to the Capitol. There was also no national news media so chances are the first time people in Massachusetts knew who people in Georgia voted for was when the Electoral College met.

You know what I meant jackass, I meant Washington. I know there wasn't a Pony Express or stage coach lines. Most of what I wrote was joking, but you are too stupid to figure that out. You were just looking for a spot to rip on anything I post as you lose all the battles that require intelligence. You are pathetic, and you keep proving it.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:25 PM   #22
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I think mail in is great. We need to get more people voting. What we need is specific proceedures enforced AHEAD of the election.
It can be done.

Votes should be counted timely.
No reason they can't be counted starting Monday before the election, and reporting the results by noon Monday the day before, so there are no "surprises" after live voting.
Elections are up to the states.

That's why some report fast and others slows.

I agree with you on the other stuff but this is another one of those things that isn't up for debate.
Old 11-16-2022, 01:55 AM   #23
fast4522

The house has now lost by democrats.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2022, 02:18 AM   #24
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
While the states have control of the voting, when it is for Federal offices, there should be Federal minimum guidelines that need to be followed.
That would be unconstitutional. It's not the candidate you are voting for in Federal elections. You are voting for the electors, i.e. the Electoral College. I have lived in states where the candidates for elector are the ones on the ballot, albeit there was a note about who those Electoral College candidates were pledged to vote for.

Once elected to the Electoral College the electors are free to vote for whoever they choose. SCOTUS has ruled that states can punish renegade electors but their votes stand nonetheless.
Old 11-16-2022, 02:29 AM   #25
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
There was no DC in 1789. There was also no Pony Express.
For what it's worth, the Pony Express was a private enterprise. The government had nothing to do with it. It operated for 18 months before going bankrupt.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:52 AM   #26
TJDave

These constitutional amendments protect and defend voting rights:

The 14th Amendment extends citizenship to all natural born or naturalized Americans regardless of race and guaranteed that rights of citizenship, like voting, cannot be restricted by the states.

The 15th Amendment prohibits restricting the right to vote due to race.

The 17th Amendment requires states to elect senators by popular vote.

The 19th Amendment extends voting rights to all women.

The 26th Amendment extends the right to vote to everyone 18 years of age and older.

Additionally, the 24th Amendment explicitly bans poll taxes, which often prevented low-income citizens of all races from voting.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #27
OntheRail

Quote:
So yes, verify the signatures ahead of time, open the envelopes under supervision and store them in a secure location on Funk and Wagnalls back porch. Then count them in the presence of whatever poll watchers deemed appropriate. .
We have seen how transparent the Democrats can be in allowing poll watcher to overseen the count. We recall them plastering over the windows with cardboard... lying to poll watchers about stopping the count... then once they were outside and out of sight dragging out boxes of ballots and started running them. Mail-in ballots are rip from corruption. There was a Democratic study on it back in the day... guess they turned that into a blueprint now. Cause we have seen it. You are for it cause it has benefitted the Left. Let the Right game the system for a couple of cycles and your tune will change (mine won't).

Mail-in ballots are fine for those few who are unable to make it to the polling site.... we have weeks of early in person voting. No need for mass mail-in balloting.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #28
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

"Only Democrats hurl insults"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You know what I meant jackass, I meant Washington. I know there wasn't a Pony Express or stage coach lines. Most of what I wrote was joking, but you are too stupid to figure that out. You were just looking for a spot to rip on anything I post as you lose all the battles that require intelligence. You are pathetic, and you keep proving it.
Easy chief

Why you always so mad?
Old 11-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #29
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
That would be unconstitutional. It's not the candidate you are voting for in Federal elections. You are voting for the electors, i.e. the Electoral College. I have lived in states where the candidates for elector are the ones on the ballot, albeit there was a note about who those Electoral College candidates were pledged to vote for.

Once elected to the Electoral College the electors are free to vote for whoever they choose. SCOTUS has ruled that states can punish renegade electors but their votes stand nonetheless.
No, we just elected candidates last week.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:58 AM   #30
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post

The 17th Amendment requires states to elect senators by popular vote.
The Senate is dumb and should be disbanded... change my mind.