Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #46
UnifiedTheory

Thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
I just went ahead and uploaded v1.2 to the HDST thread. It's in post #45.

I'm very happy to have HDST v1.2 now. This saves me a lot of time/hassle and makes paper testing 100+ racing cards much more enjoyable.

Headhawg you are truly a generous man and a great bonus for the handicapping community.

Happy handicapping!
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #47
headhawg
crusty old guy

You're welcome U_T. I have taken away a lot of good things from PA and so I wanted to give something back to the community. I am happy that people find HDST useful.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #48
dartman51

HH, I've noticed that the program crashes when I do IND. It is the only tack I have a problem with. Full disclosure, I am using JCP files converted to DRF. Was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

TS
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #49
headhawg
crusty old guy

Hmm...that's interesting. There must be something different about IND. I don't have a Bris file to test so I am also curious if others are having the problem.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #50
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Hmm...that's interesting. There must be something different about IND. I don't have a Bris file to test so I am also curious if others are having the problem.
I remember Handi having issue with HF and bris JCp file....but it was the XRD's
different sizes ...
I dont know if that can help.....
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2019, 11:34 PM   #51
UnifiedTheory

Cool HDST - tiny IND issue

dartman51, I also find that the program sometimes crashes when I start to do IND scratches, but for me after restarting the program it very soon starts working completely fine again. Just takes me a few more seconds to do IND.

But I am using Bris data files so maybe it's less crashy for me at IND than the jcp data files.

I've used HDST quite a bit and I really like the interface, how much time/hassle it saves me, and how it works in every way. I'm grateful to Headhawg for providing such a useful tool to the handicapping community.

Happy Preakness everyone!
Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #52
headhawg
crusty old guy

Hmm...I don't like releasing a program (even a free one) with this kind of bug. Give me a little time and I will try to fix it. Does this happen with every IND file no matter the date, or only specific files?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #53
dartman51

OK....happy to report that all is fine with the scratches. IND and sometimes DEL, were giving me a problem. They all seem to be working fine now. Thanks HH, for all you do.

p.s. I am now using 1.2

Last edited by dartman51; 05-18-2019 at 03:35 PM.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #54
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks for the update dartman. I only had one Bris IND file from last year and it seemed to work fine, so debugging this might have taken me longer than I wanted. And Unified_Theory's post gives me pause as well. After I finish the project that I am working on I will take a closer look at IND and DEL files to see what the problem might be.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #55
headhawg
crusty old guy

Reviving this thread because I have been asked to update HDST by one of the good guys here. I am curious if anyone else still uses HDST. If yes, please respond with any issues you are having. It's been a very long time since I have looked at the code and I have been working on other things which are taking priority.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:09 AM   #56
UnifiedTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Reviving this thread because I have been asked to update HDST by one of the good guys here. I am curious if anyone else still uses HDST. If yes, please respond with any issues you are having. It's been a very long time since I have looked at the code and I have been working on other things which are taking priority.

Yes headhawg I still use HDST on a regular basis. It's a great tool!

I haven't had any issues with it other than the scratch file not being found so I put them in manually.

Glad to hear you're interesting in updating it. Kudos!
Old 08-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #57
Floyd

Yes! You saved my marriage! Domestic bliss and tranquility have been mine since I started using your program to do scratches for NorCal Greg's programs.
Seriously, I use it almost every day. The only glitches I've seen is that Parx doesn't seem to import the scratch files consistently for some reason, and the known issue with the #1 horse, are the only issues I've run in to. Thank you SOO much for this little tool. (my wife thanks you too!)
Old 08-08-2022, 04:29 PM   #58
headhawg
crusty old guy

@Floyd -- somewhere early in this thread I talked about the issue with the #1 horse, but I will mention it again here. With some/all of NCG's programs (and possibly others) information in the data row for the #1 horse is used somewhere else in the code. So HDST v1.1 won't scratch the #1 horse as it will break the handicapping program(s). I called it "safe" mode. HDST v1.2 gives the user the option to enable safe mode, but it is always on in 1.1.

I was informed of the issue with Parx which is what prompted the thread revival and possible update.

@UnifiedTheory -- can you elaborate? The scratch file should always be located in the HDST folder after the download so I am not sure what you meant about it not being found.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #59
OzYank

I love it as a timesaver, I have v1.2. I just use the safe mode option it prompts me for when saving and then manually scratch any #1 horses when I look at it in the NCG apps.
I am wondering about the Download scratch file button, it says it should download a scratch file from equibase.com but mine has never worked. Just pops open a box stating "Error downloading scratch file. Check your internet connection and firewall."
My internet is fine but not sure what needs to be opened up if its a firewall issue. I will be removing my kaspersky security software next week to change it with another company so will see if it works then.
OzYank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #60
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzYank View Post
I love it as a timesaver, I have v1.2. I just use the safe mode option it prompts me for when saving and then manually scratch any #1 horses when I look at it in the NCG apps.
I am wondering about the Download scratch file button, it says it should download a scratch file from equibase.com but mine has never worked. Just pops open a box stating "Error downloading scratch file. Check your internet connection and firewall."
That's a generic error message I put in when the Equibase file is not downloaded. I have Bitdefender and use its firewall; my guess is that Kaspersky has one too. HDST must have a rule configured in the firewall to allow both inbound and outbound connections in order for the file download to work properly. You can check if that's the problem by temporally pausing Kaspersky, and then clicking the Download the Scratch File button. If it works, you should receive a notification stating that the xml file was successfully downloaded.

Tags
hdst, scratch program

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: