Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Equibase

Stats Race Lens Webinar - Angles

Join us next Thursday, October 20th for a STATS Race Lens FREE Webinar moderated by At the Races radio host Steve Byk.

Learn all about Angles: setting up, modifying, testing, & using them going forward.

Angles is one of the most exciting and innovative parts of Stats Race Lens where you can enter various criteria, individually or in combination, regarding horses, trainers, jockeys, sires, dams etc., run queries on those criteria using the Equibase database over the past year and see the results in minutes, then choose to be notified when horses matching those criteria are entered.

Plus, everyone who attends the webinar will be entered into a drawing for a FREE Quarterly Subscription.

Register for free here

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...87758863549444
Equibase is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equibase
Join us next Thursday, October 20th for a STATS Race Lens FREE Webinar moderated by At the Races radio host Steve Byk.

Learn all about Angles: setting up, modifying, testing, & using them going forward.

Angles is one of the most exciting and innovative parts of Stats Race Lens where you can enter various criteria, individually or in combination, regarding horses, trainers, jockeys, sires, dams etc., run queries on those criteria using the Equibase database over the past year and see the results in minutes, then choose to be notified when horses matching those criteria are entered.

Plus, everyone who attends the webinar will be entered into a drawing for a FREE Quarterly Subscription.

Register for free here

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...87758863549444

I'm signed up thnx
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
ubercapper

I'm not participating as a speaker for this webinar as I was for the last one but I really think many PA members might get something from this.

The angles feature is something never available to the masses previously.

It allows you to test theories, then if you like them you will automatically see when they come up in entries anytime you use the product. You can even set up text and email notifications.

Of all the horses I had angles on this past weekend at Keeneland, I only really liked two after further review, and one of those I might have otherwise overlooked.

One was Hawksmoor (and she ran her eyeballs out) in the QE II and the other was Summer Luck on Sunday in the 6th. If you haven't seen the chart of the latter race - http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...16&cy=USA&rn=6

If Summer Luck had won rather than coming up a neck short (after leading on the turn) I would have finished in the top 10 in the BCBC/NHC Qualifier at Keeneland. Although she lost I might never have been clued into her if there wasn't a notification about two angles I had set up that both showed profit (or near profit) over the last year.

I hope many of you can make it this Thursday at 6 pm ET for this webinar.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper
I'm not participating as a speaker for this webinar as I was for the last one but I really think many PA members might get something from this.

It allows you to test theories, then if you like them you will automatically see when they come up in entries anytime you use the product. You can even set up text and email notifications.

Of all the horses I had angles on this past weekend at Keeneland, I only really liked two after further review, and one of those I might have otherwise overlooked.

One was Hawksmoor (and she ran her eyeballs out) in the QE II and the other was Summer Luck on Sunday in the 6th. If you haven't seen the chart of the latter race - http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...16&cy=USA&rn=6

If Summer Luck had won rather than coming up a neck short (after leading on the turn) I would have finished in the top 10 in the BCBC/NHC Qualifier at Keeneland. Although she lost I might never have been clued into her if there wasn't a notification about two angles I had set up that both showed profit (or near profit) over the last year.

I hope many of you can make it this Thursday at 6 pm ET for this webinar.
Glad you posted that, makes me want participate even more
Thnx
Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Thanks for posting about this here.

I encourage everyone to show their support of one of our PRIME advertisers and a major supporter of PA --> Equibase, by registering for and attending this FREE seminar...we all just might learn something new...

THANK YOU

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper

The above is not an accurate claim.

I should know. My name is Jeff Platt. I created JCapper in 2003.

That was 16 years ago... but I was hardly the first software developer to produce a data enabled software application that handed angles ability to horseplayers.

HTR, HSH, and NetCapper all came before me - and all three hand varying degrees of angles ability to the user.

FYI -- HTR, HSH, JCapper, and NetCapper all run on Equibase data available through HDW (Handicappers Data Warehouse) -- a licensed Equibase data reseller.

I also recall first seeing a program named ALL-WAYS back in the mid 1990's (which ran on Brisnet data.)

Look, I really do wish Equibase continued success with their Race Lense product.

Just wish they would stop making false claims.

The ability to query Equibase databases - and be notified when a horse fitting the parameters of a stored query is racing today...

That's been around for a while.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-17-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Jeff P is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
RonTiller

I too wish for success for Equibase's new RaceLens product. There is no question that it is a really nice product. Frankly, any product that is professionally done and advances this industry is a good thing; interest in handicapping is not at an all time high (despite the high level of interest on PaceAdvantage) and new products, ideas and platforms all help keep interest up.

However, Jeff Platt is absolutely correct. We have seen statements that the angles feature of RaceLens has never been available IN A MAINSTREAM product before. As Jeff notes, there have been (and continue to be) many handicapping products available, for 15 to 20 years, whose core functionality is the ability to build models and uncover spot plays and research angles, all using Equibase data purchased by customers via BRIS and HDW.

The takeaway is that the products Jeff mentions, and certainly others, are not considered mainstream by the very industry that provides data for these programs (via Equibase licensed Value Added Resellers BRIS and HDW). This is very troubling and quite discouraging.

The statement "The angles feature is something never available to the masses previously." is not just wrong, it is preposterously wrong. Anybody who has used the programs Jeff mentions to build and test extremely complex models/spot plays (over the last 10 to fifteen YEARS) knows this, and this includes a large number of PaceAdvantage members.

This is not to cast any negative light on RaceLens itself, which is a really slick program. Like Jeff says, stop making false claims, which are insulting to programmers who have been doing this for many years and the authorized Equibase data resellers, who sell the data to help make this happen.

Ron Tiller
HDW
RonTiller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
DeltaLover

When the data of any kind of a research are published . especially through a major company, any advantage they might provide evaporates really quickly.

The best approach to the game lies in the creation of an up to date complete database and the development of custom components over it. There is no quick and easy way around.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
ubercapper

To Jeff and Ron,

That wasn't Equibase making the (incorrect) statement. It was me.

I certainly did not intend to upset anyone and apologize if I did.

You both have great products and I encourage everyone to have a hard look at them and compare.

We all need every edge we can get.

Ellis
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Ellis,

No worries -- and no apology necessary.

I really do wish Equibase continued success with Race Lense.

From what I've seen so far it's a great product - and that can only increase overall interest in horse racing.

Be well,

Jeff
Old 10-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #11
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTiller
The statement "The angles feature is something never available to the masses previously." is not just wrong, it is preposterously wrong. Anybody who has used the programs Jeff mentions to build and test extremely complex models/spot plays (over the last 10 to fifteen YEARS) knows this, and this includes a large number of PaceAdvantage members.

HDW
I get what you're saying, but it may be semantics. The masses do not purchase data for EVERY track EVERY day and import it into their database.

Stats gives you access that normally you would not have for scanning purposes.

I have no skin in the game, just an observation.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
upthecreek

Well done Equibase Great webinar Interesting, informative, intriquing A well thought out product, will be trying it this weekend
Old 10-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #13
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

I haven't purchased the product. I did look at the videos and associated content. So I only have an opinion based on what I've seen and what the videos say the product can do.

Perhaps Ellis' statement would be better put if changed from:

"The angles feature is something never available to the masses previously."

to

"The angles feature is something that has previously only been available to those who had an ongoing data subscription; for others, it has only been currently available in a more limited and less flexible form in a few select programs."

A player who hasn't downloaded/saved data for one of the programs with database capabilities (i.e. HSH, HTR, JCapper) can dive in for the price of a one-month subscription and back-test for time ranges from 2 weeks to a full year. In other words, backtesting can be done for a year's worth of data without needing to purchase that year's worth of data.

I also realize that various programs (such as HTR) and past performance offerings offer selected trainer and jockey angles along with the win percentage and ROI over a period of time. But these are usually pre-defined and limited to certain angles; they aren't as encompassing or flexible as Stats Lens is.

So while this has been available to somebody who has had an ongoing subscription (i.e. HTR) and is available in a limited form to others, it hasn't been available to the degree that it now is to Joe Average or to somebody who missed a month or two of data for whatever reason.

That said, there may well be a major caveat to using Stats Lens.

I haven't subscribed for a month, but I've seen the videos, and while there are a lot of angles available and the ability to customize same, the whole thing looks not like an exercise in back-testing, but rather an exercise in back-fitting. If one looks hard enough and runs enough combinations, one is certain to find several angle-combinations that have awesome ROI for even a full year. And as everybody who has done extensive data-mining knows, these rarely carry forward. I don't want to know what won with X, using Y filter for Z amount of time for the past year. I want to know what will win for the NEXT year.

The second caveat is that if the big bettors try this and find some obvious thing that actually does work and logically will work going forward, the money is going to go sailing in on that, and the value is going to disappear.

Stats Lens may be very useful to Joe Average, since it does have decent-looking past performances and ability (for the monthly subscriber) to back-test, and it may be useful to somebody who only plays one or two days a week (since days can be bought individually) but as a serious tool, it's probably a reinvention of the wheel with a few extra bells and whistles. Your mileage may vary.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #14
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensacola Pete
I haven't purchased the product. I did look at the videos and associated content. So I only have an opinion based on what I've seen and what the videos say the product can do.

Perhaps Ellis' statement would be better put if changed from:

"The angles feature is something never available to the masses previously."

to

"The angles feature is something that has previously only been available to those who had an ongoing data subscription; for others, it has only been currently available in a more limited and less flexible form in a few select programs."

A player who hasn't downloaded/saved data for one of the programs with database capabilities (i.e. HSH, HTR, JCapper) can dive in for the price of a one-month subscription and back-test for time ranges from 2 weeks to a full year. In other words, backtesting can be done for a year's worth of data without needing to purchase that year's worth of data.

I also realize that various programs (such as HTR) and past performance offerings offer selected trainer and jockey angles along with the win percentage and ROI over a period of time. But these are usually pre-defined and limited to certain angles; they aren't as encompassing or flexible as Stats Lens is.

So while this has been available to somebody who has had an ongoing subscription (i.e. HTR) and is available in a limited form to others, it hasn't been available to the degree that it now is to Joe Average or to somebody who missed a month or two of data for whatever reason.

That said, there may well be a major caveat to using Stats Lens.

I haven't subscribed for a month, but I've seen the videos, and while there are a lot of angles available and the ability to customize same, the whole thing looks not like an exercise in back-testing, but rather an exercise in back-fitting. If one looks hard enough and runs enough combinations, one is certain to find several angle-combinations that have awesome ROI for even a full year. And as everybody who has done extensive data-mining knows, these rarely carry forward. I don't want to know what won with X, using Y filter for Z amount of time for the past year. I want to know what will win for the NEXT year.

The second caveat is that if the big bettors try this and find some obvious thing that actually does work and logically will work going forward, the money is going to go sailing in on that, and the value is going to disappear.

Stats Lens may be very useful to Joe Average, since it does have decent-looking past performances and ability (for the monthly subscriber) to back-test, and it may be useful to somebody who only plays one or two days a week (since days can be bought individually) but as a serious tool, it's probably a reinvention of the wheel with a few extra bells and whistles. Your mileage may vary.
This isn't for the 2 day a week player like myself, the monthly cost is out of my league and though the day pass is only $5 its limited in what you can do

They addressed the back testing/research last night and using it as a predictor, but I had to step out of the room and only caught the last part Maybe someone else could comment

I can't believe only 110 people longer on
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
upthecreek

Test theories and angles based on the most in-depth database in the business. Tag and customize Past Performance data in all-new ways, and use leading-edge predictive modeling to generate win probabilities.

The last part of that statement is the part I missed