Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-20-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
The 2015 cox plate was a pretty good race and winx ripped highland reel a new one at almost equal weights.

Allan
That race made an impression on me also.

To be honest, it's so obvious, I can visually see she's great by the way she accelerates and finishes. Over and above that, horses don't string 26 in a row over other horses they are just a few lengths better than. They string 26 when they are totally dominant and can overcome wide trips, going against the pace, going against the bias or race flow, when they have a mildly off day, when the opposition fires a peak etc..

I have little doubt she would win at the Group 1 level in Europe if she fired her "A" race. She wouldn't be as dominant, but neither would anyone else...other than Frankel who is the best turf miler I have ever seen (and it pains me to say that because I loved Lure and Wise Dan).

I really wish they would ship her or someone would go there to take her on. I don't think they should have to ship around the world always looking for the toughest challenge. Everyone knows where she is if they want to take her on. Plus the connections must feel an obligation to the home tracks and racing fans to campaign her at home. However, I think there's some kind of obligation to the horse to take on a really big challenge at least once or twice to prove that greatness.

Zenyatta's connections took some heat for mostly staying home in CA and running in the same Grade 1 series there, but they did ship to the Apple Blossom to take on the prior year's Eclipse winning filly once and then went searching for Rachel in the Apple Blossom later (who wasn't up to the task at 4). They also went into 2 Classics.

Black Caviar also made a trip.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-20-2018 at 07:19 PM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #32
HalvOnHorseracing

Years ago some horse people believed horses with white feet had weaker legs. Frankel certainly dispels that tale.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #33
Gamblor

FWIW that first up win the other day by Winx out in the inferior ground was about 6 lengths off her best, on my figures.
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #34
RunDustyRun

Alpha Centauri would run her off he feet
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #35
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Years ago some horse people believed horses with white feet had weaker legs. Frankel certainly dispels that tale.
I think Nijinsky dispelled that old wives tale year before and he actually ran in the Derby and completed the triple crown.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #36
Seabiscuit@AR

Winx is absolutely top class. She is a class above other good horses. And she has shown she can reliably produce really high rating runs when it counts. She has already done enough to join the ranks of the all time greats of Australian racing

However the winning streak of 26 wins in a row is not real. The thing is racing in Australia and elsewhere struggles to capture people's attention and stay in the news. Those running racing have cottoned onto the idea that the way to win back the public is by having "stars". And the easiest way to have a "star" is for a horse to have a big winning streak. Hence you get Frankel, Black Caviar, Zenyatta and Winx. And so far this particular marketing strategy is working. People talk about these horses and some people even believe that Frankel is the best horse that ever lived even though he never travelled more than a short distance from his home

With Winx rival trainers simply don't aim to peak their horses against Winx but instead aim at races where she won't be running. In addition Aussie racing has allowed 2 trainers in Waller (who trains Winx) and Weir to amass a crazy number of horses in their stables. So these 2 trainers control a good percentage of the best horses in Australia. Waller won't be trying to beat his superstar with one of his own horses. So all it takes is Weir to avoid taking on Winx and she can avoid almost 50% of the good horses in Australia. Weir almost beat Winx in the Cox Plate last year with Humidor but apart from that he has not shown any inclination to take Winx on

When was the last time 2 great horses clashed? Even if Winx went to Ascot the opposition would consist of one B grader, and a couple of also rans. The racing marketing people won't allow any great clash to happen as one star will lose its shine as a result. Years ago Hong Kong had a horse that had a big winning streak = Silent Witness. Everyone talked about him but then one day he lost and then you never heard of him again
Seabiscuit@AR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #37
Thomas Roulston

The same debate is going on in mixed martial arts, where Khabib Nurmagomedov is 26-0, and may fight Conor McGregor next.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #38
Gamblor

The same debate could be going on in snail racing for all I care about mixed martial arts...
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: