Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
JMG

Evening Attire Retired

Grade I Winner Evening Attire Retired

Evening Attire, a fan favorite because of his color, running style and tenacious longevity, has been retired, according to the Hall of Fame trainer Tom Kelly. According to Pat Kelly a minor ankle injury has ended the racing career of the 10-year-old son of Black Tie Affair.

During his eight seasons of racing, Evening Attire finished first, second or third in 40 of his 69 starts. Of his 15 wins, nine were graded stakes, including his greatest conquest, the Grade I Jockey Club Gold Cup in 2002. Competing in the country's greatest races for older horses, from the Whitney Handicap to the Breeders' Cup Classic, he earned $2,977,130.

Tom Kelly bred and owned Evening Attire with his partners Mary and Joe Grant.
Attire was trained by three of Tom’s sons, first by Larry, then Tim and later by Pat. Evening Attire's first graded win came in the 2001 Discovery Handicap, when he defeated Street Cry at odds of 65-1. HIs last stakes win came in his final race, July 19, when he captured the 1 1/2-mile Greenwood Cup at Philadelphia Park. He not only defied his age, winning by 8 1/4 lengths, but also set a track record and earned a place in the Breeders' Cup Marathon.

"Last weekend at Monmouth, we saw some swelling in his leg," Pat Kelly said. "During the week, after discussions with the vet and his owners, we decided, considering his age and all he has done, it was in everyone's best interest to retire Evening Attire and find a good home for him."

Tom Kelly said “Evening Attire was one of kind. He rates up at the top of all the good horses I’ve trained, and that’s saying something.”

Mary Grant said ”We feel so blessed to have a horse not only racing for eight years but competing in stakes company. Attire has brought our family so much excitement and has given us the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people in the racing world. We are amazed at his popularity. For years he has received birthday cards from fans in this country as well as from New Zealand and Europe. One fan has even built a website dedicated to him, www.eveningattire.net. We just want to thank all his loyal fans for their great support.”

Where Attire will retire has not been finalized. All options and suggestions are being considered by his owners.

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
ghostyapper

I always loved this horse. I was hoping he'd go out with a bc win in the new 12 furlong race.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, a shame they final get a marathon BC race for him and he goes out a few weeks before it.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
jognlope

Oh no time for tears. I will miss him dearly, but glad they continue to think of him first.
jognlope is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

This seems a lot different from the story that was told last week. Wasn't it a minor cut that caused him to scratch?

I do wish the horse only the best. He was a true warrior.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
This seems a lot different from the story that was told last week. Wasn't it a minor cut that caused him to scratch?

I do wish the horse only the best. He was a true warrior.
Seems we both dreamed the same story!
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Stevie Belmont

Too bad...He was a favorite of mine as he was for others

Somehow I thought he would just keep going and winning..

My favorite EA moment is when he jumped the tracks in the snow storm afew years back...
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #8
lilmegahertz

Good Luck in your retirement EA. You are truly a warrior. I totally loved this guy.
A Prayer for Animals. Hear our humble prayer, O God, for our friends, the animals, especially for animals who are suffering; for any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry; for all that must be put to death. We entreat for them Thy mercy and pity, and for those who deal with them we ask a heart of compassion, and gentle hands and kindly words. Make us ourselves to be true friends to animals and so to share the blessings of the merciful. ~ Albert Sweitzer
lilmegahertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #9
jognlope

Steve, I think I saw that, it was blinding snow. If you can get that back, please post!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
LottaKash

Too bad, he was an exciting horse to watch, when he ran........

Evening Attire Retired....say that 10x fast..........

best,
Old 09-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

JMG, you have done him right so far.............send him some place warm

Thanks for the memories!!
Old 09-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
jognlope

I went through each year on the site set up for him, great detail and I enjoyed reading the narratives for each race. Bridgmohan sure rode him a lot in the early years. www.eveningattire.com
Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jognlope
I went through each year on the site set up for him, great detail and I enjoyed reading the narratives for each race. Bridgmohan sure rode him a lot in the early years. www.eveningattire.com
Thanks for the link, jog...

I hope they do send him someplace warm...but probably will go to the kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends...I would think so anyway.

Yes, last week when they scratched they said it was a cut...guess NOT!! Not that it matters...the Kelley's have done nothing but the very best for the old boy.
It is a shame he couldn't have gone just a little more and got in the BC Marathon...before they run that race on BC Day, they should do a story on EA...that'd be wonderful for all his fans.

EA...enjoy your days of leisure...you earned them and the love all your fans feel for you...live long, happy and content.

geeze...now ALL our good ol' warriors have been retired. Geeze.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
jognlope

Read on another forum he may go to Ocala training center
Old 09-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Thanks for the link, jog...

I hope they do send him someplace warm...but probably will go to the kentucky Horse Park or Old Friends...I would think so anyway.

Yes, last week when they scratched they said it was a cut...guess NOT!! Not that it matters...the Kelley's have done nothing but the very best for the old boy.
It is a shame he couldn't have gone just a little more and got in the BC Marathon...before they run that race on BC Day, they should do a story on EA...that'd be wonderful for all his fans.

EA...enjoy your days of leisure...you earned them and the love all your fans feel for you...live long, happy and content.

geeze...now ALL our good ol' warriors have been retired. Geeze.

I'm pretty sure Spooky Mulder is still kicking it around.
I think he was just claimed by Bruce Levine.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply