Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
dartman51

AL JAZEERA AMERICA

It seems Al Gore is selling his share of Current TV to Al Jazeera. According to them, it will become Al Jazeera America. An the hits just keep on coming.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
ElKabong

What a surprise who he's in bed / business with
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
mostpost

Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization. It has received numerous international news awards. More importantly it has been the target of several censorship attempts by Israel, the United States and several Arab states.
In other words, Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing.

Al Jazeera is an infinitely more credible news organization than FoxNews. It is also infinitely more competent.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Current TV was never a commerical success. This whole deal was crony capitalism at its best, even the NY Times realizes it (see today's front page story).
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Al Jazeera is a highly respected news organization. It has received numerous international news awards. More importantly it has been the target of several censorship attempts by Israel, the United States and several Arab states.
In other words, Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing.

Al Jazeera is an infinitely more credible news organization than FoxNews. It is also infinitely more competent.
How do you know? Seriously, have you watched it?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
How do you know? ...
MediaMatters newsletter said so.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
horses4courses

Al that Jaz

Saw their broadcast on my last trip to Europe close to a year ago.
Never had seen them before, and I was surprised at the high level of presentation. Really seemed like a BBC broadcast, and their content did not seemed biased, or anti-USA. Not that I would ever seek them for an opinion before CNN or the BBC, but they surprised me.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am sure they rank ahead of CNN and PMSNBC!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
How do you know? Seriously, have you watched it?
I have watched it on line a few times, but I also have heard from various sources that Al Jazeera is considered a legitimate news organization which can be depended on to present news that is fair and balanced. I did not really just say fair and balanced. Change that to unbiased and thorough.

Google Al Jazeera. Read the Wikipedia page and other pages. Note the awards they have won.

I will watch Al Jazeera America more than I watched Current. On the other hand I watched "Morning Meditation" more than I watched Current.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #10
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... Al Jazeera pisses of everybody and that is a good thing. ...
You are in luck once more as I have found something else that will interest you insofar it is a good thing and viewable. I almost couldn't believe the title of this article when I read it. Now I can't wait to watch.

Oxygen's New Show "All My Babies' Mamas" Makes Everyone Mad and it Hasn't Even Aired
"All My Babies' Mamas," a one-hour reality special slated to air in the spring of 2013, features Carlos "Shawty Lo" Walker, an Atlanta-based hip-hop artist with 11 children by 10 different women. Oh, he's also got a 19-year-old girlfriend, who's a year shy of his oldest child.

I definitely tend to agree that this is certain to be a good, perhaps even GRRRRRRREEAT thing.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/oxy...212100389.html

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
elysiantraveller

If people have never had a chance to watch a english Al Jazeera news broadcast I highly suggest they do. It is infinitely better than basically everything we have over here.

Highly professional, very little commentary, and just moves from story to story. Its like HLN with higher production values.

I would consider it significantly better than Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc. yet probably not as good as the BBC.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Any irony in the King of Karbon Kredits selling out to a fossil-fuel funded corporation? Nah, I didn't think so.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I have watched it on line a few times, but I 1) also have heard from various sources that Al Jazeera is considered a legitimate news organization which can be depended on to present news that is fair and balanced. I did not really just say fair and balanced. Change that to unbiased and thorough.

Google Al Jazeera. Read the Wikipedia page and other pages. Note the awards they have won.

2) I will watch Al Jazeera America more than I watched Current. On the other hand I watched "Morning Meditation" more than I watched Current.
1) What sources?

2) Well no one watched Current - avg viewership 40k - Al Gore sold Current for a large profit b/c of his connections, not b/c it was a profitable or viable endeavor, even the NY Times realizes this. You really need to read up on this matter Most.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Any irony in the King of Karbon Kredits selling out to a fossil-fuel funded corporation? Nah, I didn't think so.
Great two minute read on your point and the fact that Current was a failure in the marketplace...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...505966072.html

“….his environmental investments have prospered thanks to government handouts and mandates. His Current TV, in the process of being sold to Al-Jazeera, attracted a minuscule audience in its seven-year existence. It averaged just 42,000 viewers per evening last year. Yet the payday coming to Mr. Gore will be somewhat greater than zero—$70 million to $100 million, depending on which estimate you prefer.

Don't look for us, however, to milk the irony of Mr. Gore, warrior against climate change, pocketing a fortune from Mideast petrocrats. Mr. Gore has been in cash-in mode for a while. What's more, his style of entrepreneurship is the rising thing in our world, so respect must be paid.”
Old 01-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk

Well now... Yes I took their filthy oil money... and in doing so they can not use THAT money to invest in more filthy oil. Thereby doing my part in saving the Planet... Ok.
OntheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply