Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2014 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > Brisnet.com PaceAdvantage Inter-Board Handicapping League (P.A.I.H.L.)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #46
Ted Craven

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5336
Tiger rose don't waste you're time, you will be told It's my website and he will do what ever he whats to do each and every contest day.
Not so! The rules are the rules and will be enforced as described above. You can natter all you like, and others can natter back if they like (or you could just take it up in Private Messages - please). It will surely shed much heat, but no more light - and it will change nothing about what is past.

If you are too put out, don't play.

Please also remember that when YOU yourself would be in the position to benefit from a ruling (in this or in a future contest) deemed 'in the spirit of the game' (e.g. a grey area, or area not clearly covered by existing rules) - you would possibly like the Contest Administrators to act with generosity when appropriate. Yes? If so, please try for some perspective here and, with respect - move on.

yours,

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 01-27-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #47
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The best way to solve this is for those that don't like the rulings for my team and the other in week 2 (to which nobody, by the way, objected) to just beat us via the selections route.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #48
illinoisbred

I can't say I can see what all the fuss is about. Rules are rules but as Ted stated the "spirit of the game" has a place in interpretation of intent too. No way,no how do I see where the "spirit" was violated. Petty bickering if you ask me.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #49
Nets

[QUOTE=cj]The best way to solve this is for those that don't like the rulings for my team and the other in week 2 (to which nobody, by the way, objected) to just beat us via the selections route.[/QUOTE

Agreee 100%. There was no past posting involved. A little common sense will tell you it was an unfortunate late realization of the need to post the picks. I don't want our team to benefit from a technicality against another team when there was obviously no ill intent. We just want to win by our picks, which so far this year, have been decent.

Gary -Team NFS
Old 01-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #50
BlinkersOn

I really wish Jay Trotter had said who sent him that phony message about e.ponies. It clearly states that they advertised they are giving great prizes in their upcoming contest, that they have the best scorekeeper, and that they are the best forum on the net. I looked in on e.ponies, and there is nothing except a free contest going on, and none of the above was even mentioned. I think someone just sent a phony message to stir things up.

When Jay was invited to visit the forum, PA said something to the effect that "he is as likely to do that, as the ex-pope is to visit Rome." The ex-Pope is Pope Bendict, and he lives in Vatican City (in Rome.) He and Pope Francis visit together often, so that statement is completely false. As a good Catholic, I just wanted to clear that fact up.

As for the contest, I'm SMDH, but I also realize this is a free contest, and I didn't pay to enter it. If I had paid, I would be making a lot of noise right about now. We need to put it behind us, and just move on already,.[

That's all that's on my mind right now.

Last edited by BlinkersOn; 01-27-2014 at 06:49 PM. Reason: addition
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #51
cdax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The best way to solve this is for those that don't like the rulings for my team and the other in week 2 (to which nobody, by the way, objected) to just beat us via the selections route.
If it's the team I'm thinking about two weeks ago, no one needed to object, someone on that team posted ALL eight events on one post. It may have been the moderator's decision to allow scoring of first event since it was late and maybe no one caught it. But posting in two distinct posts was a no-no from day one. Many teams handicap the evening before. If you may be working Saturday afternoon then post prior to work (before scratches) as some other teams do. Sure you may lose some selections due to scratches.

Spirit of the game should apply to everyone all the time, not a CYA when a goof up arises.

I am okay with what was ruled. I don't want anyone to quit because of my observations. If I were bitter about it I would do as you suggest and try to beat the pants off everyone in the contest (but I'm not that good).

That week is done, it's been said it won't happen again. Let's move on to next week.

Chris
cdax is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #52
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat5336
Tiger rose don't waste you're time, you will be told It's my website and he will do what ever he whats to do each and every contest day.

That's out of line
Old 01-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdax
If it's the team I'm thinking about two weeks ago, no one needed to object, someone on that team posted ALL eight events on one post. It may have been the moderator's decision to allow scoring of first event since it was late and maybe no one caught it. But posting in two distinct posts was a no-no from day one. Many teams handicap the evening before. If you may be working Saturday afternoon then post prior to work (before scratches) as some other teams do. Sure you may lose some selections due to scratches.

Spirit of the game should apply to everyone all the time, not a CYA when a goof up arises.

I am okay with what was ruled. I don't want anyone to quit because of my observations. If I were bitter about it I would do as you suggest and try to beat the pants off everyone in the contest (but I'm not that good).

That week is done, it's been said it won't happen again. Let's move on to next week.

Chris
No, there was a team that did pretty much exactly what my Dad did, two posts.

Anyway, like you said, I'm moving on. I haven't picked very well thus far.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #54
cj's dad

cdax

Here is what you do not understand; as a relatively new poster on this forum, you have zero credibility.Have you have met anyone one here outside of the message board. Many of us have met at Saratoga, Oaklawn, Belmont, Aqueduct, Keeneland, others have met at Arlington Park, Gulfstream, Delmar. Santa Anita. and Remington Park. You have been here for less than 4 years and have < than 500 posts. You really are making yourself look foolish with these lame posts re: a contest that means ZERO!

Have fun in the future here at PA and try to not take things so seriously. It's a contest; no high stakes involved.

Last edited by cj's dad; 01-27-2014 at 08:37 PM.
cj's dad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #55
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Here is what you do not understand; as a relatively new poster on this forum, you have zero credibility.Have you have met anyone one here outside of the message board. Many of us have met at Saratoga, Oaklawn, Belmont, Aqueduct, Keeneland, others have met at Arlington Park, Gulfstream, Delmar. Santa Anita. and Remington Park. You have been here for less than 4 years and have < than 500 posts. You really are making yourself look foolish with these lame posts re: a contest that means ZERO!

Have fun in the future here at PA and try to not take things so seriously. It's a contest; no high stakes involved.
Wow.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #56
cdax

Quote:

Just because I don't shoot my mouth off on every topic here just to get 5,000 posts to prove my "credibility" is absurd. If you are that credible you should know the rules this site is supposed to enforce and abide by them.

I WAS at Saratoga, same tables, same tent. Met a lot of nice people, don't recall meeting you. Sorry I didn't make it to any other events, I don't have a son as profound in horse racing like you do that affords me that luxury.

I'm sure all the other members on this site with less than 4 years and less than 5,000 post really feel welcome knowing they have "zero credibility".

Thanks for turning this into a personal attack, when all I was doing was pointing out a rules violation.
cdax is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #57
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdax
Just because I don't shoot my mouth off on every topic here just to get 5,000 posts to prove my "credibility" is absurd. If you are that credible you should know the rules this site is supposed to enforce and abide by them.

I WAS at Saratoga, same tables, same tent. Met a lot of nice people, don't recall meeting you. Sorry I didn't make it to any other events, I don't have a son as profound in horse racing like you do that affords me that luxury.

I'm sure all the other members on this site with less than 4 years and less than 5,000 post really feel welcome knowing they have "zero credibility".

Thanks for turning this into a personal attack, when all I was doing was pointing out a rules violation.

Not sure what cj has to do with anything here in terms of cjs dad attending racing events.....??

It's a little severe what's going on here......I seriously doubt cjs dad was making a personal attack on you

There seems to be a lot of "rule czars" in this contest......lots of crying.....I don't recall seeing this in other contests especially in the deltoga challenge.....

Again the rules police need to go away.......there was no ill intent on cjs dad part.....I know he posts from his computer at home, he doesn't post from a iPhone like a lot of us do.....(could only imagine the posts he would come out with if he had a iPhone at 12:35am at Fred and margies )

By the way.......cute dog
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #58
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkersOn
I really wish Jay Trotter had said who sent him that phony message about e.ponies. It clearly states that they advertised they are giving great prizes in their upcoming contest, that they have the best scorekeeper, and that they are the best forum on the net. I looked in on e.ponies, and there is nothing except a free contest going on, and none of the above was even mentioned. I think someone just sent a phony message to stir things up.
Had a big day Deep Sea Fishing today and caught a big one!

Just to respond to Blinkers statement....in the email I received from E-Ponies there is a link that says "View This Email in Your Browser".......so, basically you can see the email I received in Web Page format HERE

Now it doesn't really matter to me if he believes I was sent this email by E-Ponies or not but if anyone wants a copy just message me with your email address and I can forward the actual email.

Either way, PaceAdvantage kicks E-Ponies ass in every way imaginable.

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #59
kingfin66
Bombardier

Personally, I am fine with the ruling that Ted, etal made. My only wish is that the rulings, if they are to be made "in the spirit of the game," be applied consistently. In the Pick 4 contest, there was an issue with the scoring when a horse scratched at the gate. As a result, many players had the post time favorite and hit the pick 4 multiple times. An error with the charts, however, resulted in an initial ruling that the players who were affected would not get credit. The ruling by Ted in that contest was that the rules would be strictly enforced. There was no "spirit of the rules" interpretation. It was only after one of the players contacted Equibase to get the chart error fixed that the points were credited.

Some of the comments I have seen in this and the other thread are, to be honest, rather appalling. The thing is, if the rules were applied consistently this thread would not even be necessary. It is supposed to be a fun contest so why not just keep it that way. Along those lines, I would suggest revising the rules to add something to that effect and that rulings will be made in "the spirit of the game" and that common sense and fair play shall prevail. I would also suggest the dog and pony show of being required to confirm that we have read and understand the rules. The proverbial horse has, in fact, left the barn. Any future transgressions by any teams in this contest should be treated just as the those that occurred in weeks 2 and 4. That is the only way to keep things fair at this point.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 PM   #60
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:

Please keep the points, but lose the arrogance. He has just as much credibility as you or anybody else on this forum. What I honestly got out of your post is that you feel that you are entitled to special treatment because you have hung out with people at Saratoga.

FWIW, I have also met numerous people from this board and forged friendships with them, all of which gives me no more or less credibility than you.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply