Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #16
Frost king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
It'll be interesting to see what Baffert does with a former $16,000 maiden claimer. It's been a long time since he trained something that bottom-of-the-barrel.
He can always go to Louisiana and run in the conditioned claimers, and still scratch out a decent living.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 11:16 PM   #17
jimmyb

I'm going with a Higher Power over the pharmaceuticals.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 11:56 PM   #18
letswastemoney

Ax Man will be sent. Given Maximum Security is his stablemate, Max will probably give Ax Man a length or two of breathing room.

Midcourt might be a stalker or midpack runner in this spot. He's not fast enough to set the pace at 1 1/16 miles. Is he good enough to win though?

If Midcourt turns in his best effort (he maxes out at 123 on TimeformUS), and if Maximum Security regresses, Midcourt can win. I suppose those are two big questions. But at least Midcourt likes Del Mar with a 2 for 2 record here.

I'll go with Midcourt. I think it's more likely he rebounds off the clunker, especially with blinkers back on.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #19
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
Ax Man will be sent. Given Maximum Security is his stablemate, Max will probably give Ax Man a length or two of breathing room.

Midcourt might be a stalker or midpack runner in this spot. He's not fast enough to set the pace at 1 1/16 miles. Is he good enough to win though?

If Midcourt turns in his best effort (he maxes out at 123 on TimeformUS), and if Maximum Security regresses, Midcourt can win. I suppose those are two big questions. But at least Midcourt likes Del Mar with a 2 for 2 record here.

I'll go with Midcourt. I think it's more likely he rebounds off the clunker, especially with blinkers back on.
Midcourt has never run well when not on or very near the lead. I dont see a scenario in this race where that can happen given if Ax Man goes and Max Security who is probably faster early than both is in the race.

We have seen horses go to the middle east and come back and flop in this race before so there is that.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

$1 exacta -
Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

Entertaining, and oddly-run race
Old 07-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #22
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Entertaining, and oddly-run race
Yea. it was nice to finally see victor be aggressive on midcourt who does his best running near the lead.

That was really odd what Cedillo did, gives up a cushy spot 2 wide to get blind switched on the rail then, Prat just buried him intentionally. Very very lucky to win. Was probably 5 lengths best.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #23
letswastemoney

I misread the pace scenario, but Midcourt gave a tremendous effort nonetheless. I don't regret betting him.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2020, 10:57 PM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
I misread the pace scenario, but Midcourt gave a tremendous effort nonetheless. I don't regret betting him.
hell no, good bet. I didnt think mike would go and compromise the other baffert.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #25
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Yea. it was nice to finally see victor be aggressive on midcourt who does his best running near the lead.

That was really odd what Cedillo did, gives up a cushy spot 2 wide to get blind switched on the rail then, Prat just buried him intentionally. Very very lucky to win. Was probably 5 lengths best.
I doubt that kid rides this horse again. He did well to hold it together and win but he made a big mistake early on in that race. People bitch about guys like Saez and some of the young aggressive riders but in every sport that’s how it goes. If you don’t push hard and take no shit..... you get shuffled back . You have to push the rules to the limit cause the other guys know who the horse to beat is. You hear the same crap in Basketball and Football. I hate the Patriots , I’m a Bills fan, but they are coached to take no shit and put it in the face of the other guy. It’s not cheating , it’s called not getting pushed around by an opponent. That horse did a lot to win that race..... that he may have not had to do with the regular rider. Drugs, no drugs, this horse is a freaking gamer, damn near a legend now. People say he only won by a nose this time. Yeah, watch that trip, how hard he worked to get it done. That’s what a Champ looks like under fire.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #26
classhandicapper

Whatever the speed figures say (101 for Beyer), IMO, both the top two ran quite a bit better than that.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #27
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I doubt that kid rides this horse again. He did well to hold it together and win but he made a big mistake early on in that race. People bitch about guys like Saez and some of the young aggressive riders but in every sport that’s how it goes. If you don’t push hard and take no shit..... you get shuffled back . You have to push the rules to the limit cause the other guys know who the horse to beat is. You hear the same crap in Basketball and Football. I hate the Patriots , I’m a Bills fan, but they are coached to take no shit and put it in the face of the other guy. It’s not cheating , it’s called not getting pushed around by an opponent. That horse did a lot to win that race..... that he may have not had to do with the regular rider. Drugs, no drugs, this horse is a freaking gamer, damn near a legend now. People say he only won by a nose this time. Yeah, watch that trip, how hard he worked to get it done. That’s what a Champ looks like under fire.
I agree on your perception of the ride and the race. Max Sec is definitely some kind of game horse, regardless of who trains him. Midcourt is a nice horse and MS had to come and get him. Hopefully he moves forward off this for the Pac Classic (assuming that's where he goes) and his effort didn't take the starch out of him. Esp with the rescheduling of this one and the strong work Baffert put into him last week he could potentially regress.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply