Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
As a side note I cant recall the last time ABC televised a horse race on non cable TV since the TC series left the network, maybe I have missed something the past few years but I dont recall it.
I mean really why would they? They don't have the TC or the BC.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #17
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Actually it's being shown on NBC.

that's correct - my bad

in defense of myself I got the wrong info from an incorrect source
Old 07-18-2020, 02:07 PM   #18
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I mean really why would they? They don't have the TC or the BC.
nothing else to show
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #19
classhandicapper

He's a miler.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #20
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
He's a miler.
Probably, only question is how much was it out of gas versus getting tired. That was weird to see a horse without being ask open up and then stop with a furlong to go. He is a talented horse though.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #21
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Can agree with this. But why sit off the pace here? You have the best horse in the race, so use him. Take it to them. Sort of like ACDC. Simple and direct. Do what you do best and screw the others.
He got out really well, but it obviously helped that no one other than NY Traffic made any effort early. So you might as well go at that point. A couple of the other speeds were lower quality horses, but they made it as easy as possible on him. He looks like a quality miler to me.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 07-18-2020 at 06:47 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #22
classhandicapper

Quote:
That was weird to see a horse without being ask open up and then stop with a furlong to go. He is a talented horse though.
That's what makes me think he's a good miler. He had plenty of speed and energy for that burst to open up, but imo a true distance horse would have finished better than that. I hope he goes to the Derby just so I can toss him.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #23
Robert Fischer
clean money

top three finishers impressed me.

Authentic hung again in the stretch, but it was an impressive display of talent and tactics to win today. I like that he has flaws, and isn't an invincible magical force like Justify or American Pharoah. I hope that he goes on to more classics, but that is certainly, no guarantee.

(Due to injuries and circumstance) He inherited temporary 'Ace' status in his barn, and was really pointed to this race which was a perfect destination. I could be completely misguided, but this also felt like a friendly environment to train a horse up to a big performance.

NY Traffic ran the best race of his life. He's had some other good races in his career. Today was an amazing combination of horse, trainer, and rider. About as high level as you'll just about ever see, come up short. Other than the obvious break, Mike Smith made several subtle moves, and Paco and NY Traffic had an answer for every one. Authentic controlled the trip, and yes he hung late, but NY Traffic stayed on very very well. If this effort can be counted on to ship and repeat, that would make this horse seem to be part of the discussion for the Derby, etc...

DR Post ran very close to his Belmont effort. Possibly better. He was completely eliminated from the eventual forward race dynamics by the time they had taken the first turn. He looked every bit as good, and ran a nice race today.

I would have to guess that the Beyer and other figs may come back on the low side, but I was impressed.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
top three finishers impressed me.

Authentic hung again in the stretch, but it was an impressive display of talent and tactics to win today. I like that he has flaws, and isn't an invincible magical force like Justify or American Pharoah. I hope that he goes on to more classics, but that is certainly, no guarantee.

(Due to injuries and circumstance) He inherited temporary 'Ace' status in his barn, and was really pointed to this race which was a perfect destination. I could be completely misguided, but this also felt like a friendly environment to train a horse up to a big performance.

NY Traffic ran the best race of his life. He's had some other good races in his career. Today was an amazing combination of horse, trainer, and rider. About as high level as you'll just about ever see, come up short. Other than the obvious break, Mike Smith made several subtle moves, and Paco and NY Traffic had an answer for every one. Authentic controlled the trip, and yes he hung late, but NY Traffic stayed on very very well. If this effort can be counted on to ship and repeat, that would make this horse seem to be part of the discussion for the Derby, etc...

DR Post ran very close to his Belmont effort. Possibly better. He was completely eliminated from the eventual forward race dynamics by the time they had taken the first turn. He looked every bit as good, and ran a nice race today.

I would have to guess that the Beyer and other figs may come back on the low side, but I was impressed.
The one thing I didnt like was that Dr Post never put himself in the race to win, it was as clunk up a third as you will find. He will win races but it appears like he needs perfect setups and maybe grade 2/3 horses to do it, probably grade 3 if being fair.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #25
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Anyone else think or wonder if maybe Money Mike went to sleep and figured he had it won when he didn't? After he began pulling away in the upper stretch, it looked to me like he thought he could just cruise on home to a several-length win, especially since the one he was pulling away from was the only other one in the race, for all practical purposes.

So the next time out, I will wonder if he is truly distance challenged, or the victim of a lazy ride that was good enough anyway.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #26
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Anyone else think or wonder if maybe Money Mike went to sleep and figured he had it won when he didn't? After he began pulling away in the upper stretch, it looked to me like he thought he could just cruise on home to a several-length win, especially since the one he was pulling away from was the only other one in the race, for all practical purposes.

So the next time out, I will wonder if he is truly distance challenged, or the victim of a lazy ride that was good enough anyway.
yea whenever I see distance challenged horses who cruised in easy fractions start to easy up I think its the rider.

This is the guy that kind find 300k for whipping a horse 10 times, maybe he is gun shy.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #27
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:

My feelings too.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 12:07 AM   #28
Robert Fischer
clean money

Dr Post

Quote:
The one thing I didnt like was that Dr Post never put himself in the race to win, it was as clunk up a third as you will find. He will win races but it appears like he needs perfect setups and maybe grade 2/3 horses to do it, probably grade 3 if being fair.
I can agree with that to an extent.

I feel like that's a tough way to grade horses.
There's not a ton that can 'proactively' win against-the-grain of their natural running style.

I'm not personally on the Dr Post-is-The-Champ bandwagon, but I like his development better than say "Art Collector". (IDK if Art Collector was '4th' on the recent poll, just a popular horse who comes to mind.)

looked nice in the Belmont, and Tiz the Law was a clear 'A' there, but Dr Post was around a 'B', and I thought he ran to that level again, today.

health/consistency, and whether he can ever contend in unbiased scenarios are fair 'unknowns' going forward
Old 07-19-2020, 01:01 AM   #29
SandyW

Quote:

LISTEN, to Mike Smith's interview after the race as this horse likes to play around and not stay focused, plenty left in tank if you watch run out. Baffert will add blinkers in the future to keep this horse focused and will be a main contender in the Derby.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #30
classhandicapper

I consider Dr. Post's effort disappointing and without much of an excuse.

The race may have flowed towards the front, but imo that's because the 3/5 favorite is a very fast and very good horse and NY Traffic is no slouch with quite a bit early speed himself. He couldn't stay with Authentic or challenge him when he tried, but imo he ran really well. All the off the pace horses were overmatched horses or horses that prefer to be on or close to the lead that were taken back/outrun (or both). To me, Dr Post ran his race. He's a pretty good horse at this stage, but not a serious Derby threat unless he gets better. I take his performance as raising questions about the quality of the Belmont Stakes and Tiz the Law.