Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #46
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Really good point CJ. Makes me want to watch where both horses end up in their next start. Will they happen to end up in a "soft" spot?
This was a situation where the field was small, there were only 3-4 good horses, and you could make OK money just showing up.

There was probably nothing especially enticing on the schedule for them and a guaranteed 12.5k (with a chance for decent score for 3rd or 4th) was fine given you might finish off the board in a better spot anyway and get nothing.

Both aren't going to keep chasing the best horses. That would be insanity.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #47
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
The speeds that didn't go finished last and next to last. That is what happens much more often than not in my experience. If you are afraid of the other speed, you should probably enter a different race. It isn't like Authentic was a surprise entry.
maybe they were entered really as a favor to the track more than anything else, I know nothing about the connections of those horses to make a determination.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM   #48
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
maybe they were entered really as a favor to the track more than anything else, I know nothing about the connections of those horses to make a determination.
I certainly considered that going in, the 5 certainly had that look. But the 4 was trained by Hollendorfer so that is out, and the 6 is a Maryland guy so very unlikely.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #49
classhandicapper

One thing for sure is that it's a handicapping dilemma if you know a race has a lot of speed in it but you don't know who is sending. You are going to be wrong a lot of the time. On the flip side, I have a tough time finding good prices on horses, but when I do it's often on a pace collapse I got right.

The even bigger problem are the the ones like Winifred J that everyone was complaining about Sunday.

I thought there was a lot of speed in that race, but she was the speed of the speed and had to go. She was rated. The race kind of collapsed anyway, but that's a case where you have to ask what they were thinking. If you were 2nd or 3rd speed and didn't want to duel Winifred J, that's the case I kind of understand. But if you have the fastest horse and she clearly wants the lead, you can't strangle and make her rank.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #50
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
One thing for sure is that it's a handicapping dilemma if you know a race has a lot of speed in it but you don't know who is sending. You are going to be wrong a lot of the time. On the flip side, I have a tough time finding good prices on horses, but when I do it's often on a pace collapse I got right.

The even bigger problem are the the ones like Winifred J that everyone was complaining about Sunday.

I thought there was a lot of speed in that race, but she was the speed of the speed and had to go. She was rated. The race kind of collapsed anyway, but that's a case where you have to ask what they were thinking. If you were 2nd or 3rd speed and didn't want to duel Winifred J, that's the case I kind of understand. But if you have the fastest horse and she clearly wants the lead, you can't strangle and make her rank.
I agree.

One of the most frustrating bets in sports, when you take action on a mid-range-long-shot sitting on the board at '7/1', who is maybe '10/1' on pure horse, but '3/1' if your rationalize her performance up to her 'A' race, as the speed-of-speeds, with the track bias favoring inside speed..., - and you don't even get a shot, because of maddening, mystifying tactics.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #51
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I agree.

One of the most frustrating bets in sports, when you take action on a mid-range-long-shot sitting on the board at '7/1', who is maybe '10/1' on pure horse, but '3/1' if your rationalize her performance up to her 'A' race, as the speed-of-speeds, with the track bias favoring inside speed..., - and you don't even get a shot, because of maddening, mystifying tactics.
That race on Sunday was hard to explain. He was choking a horse that had enough natural speed to clear without using him hard.

I think I've sort of settled on the view of a trainer I've spoken to on this. His view is that you want your horse settle into it's own comfortable stride on that day and wherever that places him on that day is where he should be.

You don't want to strangle a speed horse because you will burn off excess energy when the horse starts resisting restraint, fighting, or getting rank.

You don't want to use you horse hard to get the lead chasing faster horses because using him is burning off more excess energy than the position is gaining.

Exceptions might be large fields where you may have to use your horse a bit early to find a good spit or you'll wind up in a hopeless position or if there's a clear bias carrying horses even when they are used hard early.

Mostly I just want my horse to be in a comfortable stride. Hopefully he has enough natural cruising speed (to borrow a Baffert term) to be on the lead if that what he likes or in a good spot. If not, maybe he needs a drop in class.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:24 PM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

More than anything else, this grabbing of speed horses has me betting less and less, and lately, not even bothering to download PPs. Couple this with late odds changes and I have to ask myself why bother even playing this game? No one is ever going to convince me there is not fixing going on. Just not Servis and Navarro.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #53
Tee

Ancient Warrior entered today in the 12th @ Monmouth.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #54
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Ancient Warrior entered today in the 12th @ Monmouth.
Showed some speed in a cheaper sprint.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #55
Tee

Lebda

Entered 8/28/20 @ Charles Town - Race 8 - Post Position 1.