Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Who are you leaving out of the WIN spot your most worried about?

For me im leaving Magnum Moon out of the win spot on all my tickets. I just think if a horse is gonna break the Apollo Curse its going to be Justify.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
LoneF
Veteran

I am leaving Justify out of the win spot but not worried at all about that.

Bolt I am also leaving out of the win spot and he would probably be my next horse up if I added another horse to the win spot so that’s my answer.
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
f2tornado

I will wait for the draw. I don't plan on playing Bolt or Justify on top at this moment but either could be more dangerous from an inside post while their style is potentially hampered by an auxiliary draw. Audible is one I only played lightly in Pool 4 exacta wagers and one I don't plan on playing too much Derby day. Florida Derby winners have been tough in Kentucky and this guy fits the fractions and Buckpasser angles.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

Audible.

Beautiful horse. Visually impressive.

form rundown:

Debut StatebredMSW 6.5f - Green early, really moving well late.

2nd start StatebredMSW 1M- 4/5 fav. Deep stalking/closing style. Looked the winner for most of the race, gradually circled the field. JV kept busy, a bit too workman-like of an effort for a Derby winner. Looked like a paid workout.

3rd start OC 1M (off turf) (4 horse field) - 1/5 fav. Another paid workout. Even got a horse to open up and set a 'target'. Took Audible until entering the stretch to overtake. That rival did not go on in the stretch, but Audible did look visually impressive in the stretch run.

4th start G2 Holy Bull S. 1 1/16M - Wasn't really a top derby prep. Enticed didn't show up. I don't like Free Drop Billy. Castellano with a great ride on Audible- hard urged out of the gate, then floated others while entering the first turn, sat in 'the pocket' 3rd... A couple cheap horses opened up mid-race, no one else made a middle move(Enticed we mean you), and then Audible inherited the lead entering the stretch with only a harmless Free Drop Billy on his flank. He did look visually impressive in the stretch. Have to give him some credit. He fired. He does a nice job of maintaining his speed through the stretch run. As stated, I think his position in this race was better than we'll tend to see.

Derby Prep G1 Florida Derby 9F - Pace collapse. Catholic Boy didn't show up. Audible again was fortunate from the gate to establish position. Squandered that position on the backstretch while moving a bit sluggish, but that only helped him late in the race as any part of the field moving early was punished. Hofburg (My 'key' in the race) mirrored him with a slightly worse, but very similar 2nd. This isn't so much a note of less regarded horse, but of the pace dynamics. Another very nice stretch run from Audible. Watching him run through the stretch looked like a Derby winner.

Workouts - His mediocre cruising speed, and need to be kept busy is very evident in workouts. A typical workout also isn't long enough to show off his stretch running stamina (also not getting dream setups in workouts!). The Vino Rossi work I think revealed some things about Audible. And at the end(1:31) he was temporarily able to make a short move and close the gap when urged, although Vino Rossi held the advantage.
https://www.xbtv.com/video/audible/0_q6drxg68/

Final thoughts - I don't think he can get into a winning position in the Kentucky Derby. If he has an otherwise good trip, he can be rolling late and passing tired rivals. He scares me, but I can't use 'em all on top.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-18-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
PowerUpPaynter

Audible and Good Magic are 2 horse I cant get a good handle on. I do like Audible but im not betting him on top and luckily I got him at 40-1 offshore awhile ago. Good Magic im just not really a fan of but it seems like a lot of people on this board who I respect are actually very big fans of his. I never try to be the smartest guy in the room and always love hearing other's takes so im torn. I must be missing something with Good Magic. Some people REALLY love him in this race.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #6
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Audible and Good Magic are 2 horse I cant get a good handle on. I do like Audible but im not betting him on top and luckily I got him at 40-1 offshore awhile ago. Good Magic im just not really a fan of but it seems like a lot of people on this board who I respect are actually very big fans of his. I never try to be the smartest guy in the room and always love hearing other's takes so im torn. I must be missing something with Good Magic. Some people REALLY love him in this race.
I would not call myself a big fan of Good Magic but I am a fan and if I spread out 4 or 5 horses on top than I will most likely include him.

I think the reason so many people like him is in big part because of Chad Brown. That guy really knows how to get a horse to peak for the big race.

Look at Good Magic’s 2 year old year. So-So maiden race than a really good effort in the Champagne Stakes in his second race leading to the big win in the BC Juvenile in his third race.

This year first race is a so-so effort in the Fountain of Youth and second race is a really good effort in the Bluegrass. Follow the pattern and he is set up for a big race in the Kentucky Derby.

Last edited by LoneF; 04-18-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
papillon

Because I think he's a sprinter

Justify

Blasphemy I know right.

He's either a Hall of Famer, or Materiality.

His 3yo season reminds me of Materiality, but he reminds me of Into Mischief and Secret Circle. If I'm right, the KY derby will ruin him.

The key difference between Materiality/Secret Circle and Into Mischief was that Mandella doesn't care about the derby. He lets the horse be what it is.

Justify did not have to run against a Bodemeister in the SA derby, if Secret Circle hadn't run against him in the AK derby, he would have won it and been a favorite for the KY derby, maybe the favorite.

The real test of speed is other speed.You can argue about Bolt being a very fast horse, but he is not a speed horse.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
jay68802

Good Magic.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
TheGarMan

Its a little soon to say, but I'm probably leaving out Mendelssohn.....

Why am I worried?

Because if a Breeders Cup Champion who won his last start by 18 lengths and is trained by one of the best in the world wins the Kentucky Derby, I will wonder how I could have been so freakin' stupid to ignore all the signs.

But you cannot bet them all. So for me he is shaping up to be a "tough pass"...

Last edited by TheGarMan; 04-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
Its a little soon to say, but I'm probably leaving out Mendelssohn.....

Why am I worried?

Because if a Breeders Cup Champion who won his last start by 18 lengths and is trained by one of the best in the world wins the Kentucky Derby, I will wonder how I could have been so freakin' stupid to ignore all the signs.

But you cannot bet them all. So for me he is shaping up to be a "tough pass"...
You can add best jockey in the world to best trainer in the world.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
He may or may not be the best jockey in the world, but he certainly isn't the best dirt jockey in the world. You can say the same thing about the trainer.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Justify did not have to run against a Bodemeister in the SA derby, if Secret Circle hadn't run against him in the AK derby, he would have won it and been a favorite for the KY derby, maybe the favorite.
Bodemeister wasn't eligible so he couldn't run against him. Also, even if it were an open race, he's 9, so I'm sure he's lost a few steps.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #13
Andrick

I tend to play the Derby quite narrowly, so I'm likely to leave a few of the top choices out of the win spot. Things could certainly change once I get into watching replays, but as of right now Good Magic, Mendelssohn, and perhaps Magnum Moon and Bolt may be some of the horses I won't be relying on in the win spot.
Andrick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Bodemeister wasn't eligible so he couldn't run against him. Also, even if it were an open race, he's 9, so I'm sure he's lost a few steps.
In his defense, he said a Bodemeister, likely referring to the fractions he set the Kentucky Derby. It's probably a moot point since I don't see a Bodemeister type in this field.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
As CJ pointed out, Ryan Moore may opt to stay closer to home and run the 1000 Guineas on the same day... Time will tell. Some would argue that picking up a US based jock with Derby experience could actually help Mendelsshon.

Either way, I am probably tossing him.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply