Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

NHC Free Roll Saturday: 4/21

One of my big ticket items is to qualify for the National Handicappers Championship. Been close a number of times, but have yet to ever qualify.

The NHC has some 'free rolls' they host once in a while, in which a few seats are offered up for a completely FREE entry if you can beat 5,000 or so other people on a given day of 12 races. I was eerily close once in qualifying via one of these events, being in the Top 10 heading to the last race with a real, real shot to get it done. Sadly that didn't happen.

So..., strap on the boots and dig in I will.

As always, it is a deep and really tough card. 4 each from Keeneland, Laurel, and Aqueduct. Laurel has a fantastic card today of extremely tough fields, and Keeneland (as always) in its Spring meet, isn't for the meek.

Without further adieu:

R6 Keeneland: $74K Maiden - Looked long and hard for any kind of angle in here, and it is slim pickins'. The Ramseys have the 6/5 ML fav Kitten trained by Maker who is having a horrid meet, so I have to find something to beat him. What better way than another Kitten in the right? Kind of like it, but going with the Teryn It Up. Nice work after his 1st race, and was more than competitive late. are certainly interesting.

R7 Laurel: $100K Dahlia Stakes: Going against the Hawksmoor off the layoff, and looking for a wire job from the I'm Betty G. is the fallback plan.

R6 Aqueduct: $40K Maiden Claimer: Weird turf race, and I'm going deep with the 1st on turf angle with a Freud/Storm Catter in the Guy American Dream. Tough race to find anything to like, and I don't want any part of the favorite off a 5 month break who has never flashed any speed other than on an off track.

R7 Keeneland: $76K Allowance N2L - Short and sweet, I'm pulling the Colebrook/Hernandez card here with the Enrage for a pair that has been hot this meet, just not yet together..., yet. was my first inkling in yet another tough Keeneland field.

R8 Laurel: 1 1/16th $125K Weber City Miss Stakes: The race 2 back for the Indy Union is where I'm going here along with her first crack as a 3YO. Get her out and let her roll.

R7 Aqueduct: 1 1/16th State Bred OC $80K: I think the Purely Lucky has ran against better, so that is where I landed. or wouldn't surprise me. Hell, anything at Aqueduct wouldn't surprise me.

R8 Keeneland OC $80Kn3x: I see a couple taking way too much money in here and like the . Colebrook gets the back, and while never far back, puts blinks back on. Jimenez does nothing but win on this guy.

R9 Laurel 1 Mile Turf $100K Henry Clark: Probably the toughest race of the lot (and that is saying something). This may be a stakes race but has G2 quality entrants with massive amounts of mixed signals. Digging real deep here with a first-timer on turf amid this crew with the El Areeb. I just feel somebody can steal this one on the front, and why not with a solid J/T combo looking to take that very risk and at a ML price of 12/1 that will almost assuredly go up.

R8 Aqueduct State Bred Allowance $66Kn1x: Pretty much stabbing at the J J's Dreaming at odds likely shorter than they should be. These Aquedump races really stink.

R9 Keeneland G2 Elkhorn: Likely the race of the day with a very deep and tough field. Gonna call on Ortiz/Brown with the Call Provision to get it done. Defending champ in the Itsinthepost has to be respected as well as the Hayabusa One that ships right along with him. Looked long and hard at the Canessar as a possible huge upsetter in here.

R10 Laurel $100K Federico Tesio Stakes: Very interesting field going 9 panels. Ended up on the Still Having Fun, but there are a number you can make a case for in here.

R9 Aqueduct 6 1/2 $100K New York Stallion Stakes: Going with the My Roxy Girl. is the obvious concern and/or the . Can I just hit the ALL button on the Aqueduct races?

Thar she blows. 12 races:

I feel my seat at the NHC getting warm.

What do I have wrong? (Actually, what do I have right? ).

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 04-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Vinnie

LemonDropHusker:

You are an excellent capper and I feel that today may very well be the day that you finally get that seat that you seek....

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
GMB@BP

It wasnt a free roll but I was awfully close to qualifying last week.

i start small and try to win qualifiers.....good luck

I have alot of the same races through my contest today at Kee and SA.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 04-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
LemonDropHusker:

You are an excellent capper and I feel that today may very well be the day that you finally get that seat that you seek....
Thank you kind sir.

Can't get a hit a home run if you don't take a swing, right? While these are a "from the clouds" type of nature, I do find them fun and interesting. No reason not to participate when it is free.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
It wasnt a free roll but I was awfully close to qualifying last week.

i start small and try to win qualifiers.....good luck

I have alot of the same races through my contest today at Kee and SA.
The small qualifiers is the way to go IMO as well.

These 12 race fiascos with 5K participating are fun, but damn are they hard.

Wish they had a Keeneland/Santa free roller.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
GMB@BP

In the races that I had that overalap at kee

Kee r6 - I couldnt get past the heavy chalk, feels like a very weakish mdn event. if one of the firsters can pop i have no way of knowing

r7 - i like enrage as well. 1 is strong, 3 offers better value

r8 - i like the 2, feels like a marginal contender at 10/1 it feels like a fair bet

r9 - it was between the 2 and the 3. Chads horse is going to be second choice I think, and while i like him at around 3/1 or so feels like the horse has bee ok but aint been winning easier spots than this. I am against all california horses on turf.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
In the races that I had that overalap at kee

Kee r6 - I couldnt get past the heavy chalk, feels like a very weakish mdn event. if one of the firsters can pop i have no way of knowing

r7 - i like enrage as well. 1 is strong, 3 offers better value

r8 - i like the 2, feels like a marginal contender at 10/1 it feels like a fair bet

r9 - it was between the 2 and the 3. Chads horse is going to be second choice I think, and while i like him at around 3/1 or so feels like the horse has bee ok but aint been winning easier spots than this. I am against all california horses on turf.

Good stuff.

R6 at Keene is tough, and I feel is one of the key races in this sequence that could be a 'max payout' type race. Maker has been dreadful, and I simply can't take 6/5, much less 3/1 on anything he puts on the track right now. While I like the and/or , Lanerie on the is scary in a what could be a paceless turf race.

R8 at Keeneland, I nearly flipped a coin between the and . I may well change to the deuce.

R9 we are all over the till the cows come home. scares me at a price.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
jay68802

Good luck.

jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

For anybody interested, here is a link to the NHC contest(s):

https://horseplayers.com

If you want to be in any of these contests, you'll also need to be an NTRA member.

Here is a link for that:

https://www.ntra.com/
Old 04-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Baron Star Gregg

Good luck! I'm in on a lot of the same horses in the later half of the contest.
The in Laurel #7 is a scratch (my original backup).
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
Baron Star Gregg

Ouch! That was my back up.
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
GMB@BP

2 definitely separated my contest. I didnt have it but a few did. Gonna have to get real lucky here now.

I have no idea what to do on Kee grass racing, heck grass racing in general.

the Maker barn sure cant wait to get to Churchill.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:34 PM   #13
GMB@BP

25/1, couldnt come up with that under any scenario.

Enrage had a horrid trip.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
25/1, couldnt come up with that under any scenario.

Enrage had a horrid trip.
Anything and everything.

Gotta love it!
Old 04-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #15
Michael

how are you doing in this LDH? I'm not following closely but curious as I was reading this post earlier today. GLGL
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply