Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
abe

Poor fields

Is it just me or do these Big Three races coming up this weekend have very poor fields. They all look to have 2-3 possible Derby horses and the rest are basically unknown on the trail.
abe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe
Is it just me or do these Big Three races coming up this weekend have very poor fields. They all look to have 2-3 possible Derby horses and the rest are basically unknown on the trail.

Up to this point there is a bimodal distribution ability wise, the right peak is comprised of:

Dialed In
Uncle Mo
The Factor
Premier Pegasus

The left peak contains all other 3yr olds.
redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
ManeMediaMogul

The Wood is a one-horse race. The Illinois Derby is pathetic.

At least the Santa Anita Derby has three legit Kentucky Derby contenders - Premier Pegasus, Jaycito and Silver Medallion.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
lamboguy

the beauty of 3 year old racing is that the horses that are good can get better with every race they have underneath them. i saw it with my own two eyes with funnycide. as a 2 yo he wouldn't even train until my partner gelded hem then he became a monster.

i went to the wood and watched him that year run against EMPIRE MAKER, the empire looked like the best horse i have ever seen in my life. Funnycide ran behind him. in the kentucky derby that year i actually bet $20k to show on EMPIRE MAKER thinking he was the bigest steal for win let alone show. Funnycide wound up beating him in the race and i won show money instead of $26 for win on a horse that was constantly improving.

i bring this up in case UNCLE MOE is as good as everyone thinks he is, he might win the wood, but some other horse might step up and run good behind him and make a steep improvement. if racing was only about crunching numbers and not other variables, everyone would be millionaires betting on these races.

as far as i am concerned steve assmussen might enter something in the kentucky derby and take it down. he knows what he has at all times and knows how to get the horse to run to the top of their abilities. he runs a very strong training program for young horses. he has impressed me for the last 7 years now and i know its a matter of time befrore he wins the kentucky derby
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManeMediaMogul
The Wood is a one-horse race. The Illinois Derby is pathetic.

At least the Santa Anita Derby has three legit Kentucky Derby contenders - Premier Pegasus, Jaycito and Silver Medallion.
the illinois derby ill allways remember--why ? years ago played war emblem to win at 2-1 went wire to wire--ran in the derby and odds were 22-1
had $200 to win and $100 place and show--one of my biggest scores yet

another wire to wire
judd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
The Factor, IMO, can also wire the Derby field...I can't wiat for the AK derby...I beleive Baffert is sending him there becuse the surface will help him build stamina, unlike SA, which seems to be fitting for nothing but easy speed.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply