Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 03:19 PM   #211
castaway01

The "advantage" conversation is complicated because is it an advantage of
1) better technology to outhandicap the public and/or manage money,
2) better access to large rebates
3) knowledge of how much money is bet on supposedly "blind" pools like trifectas and superfectas
4) the ability to make 200 different bets with one push of a button with 15 seconds to post
5) the ability to cancel or even make bets slightly after the bell?

I realize some of those are near certainties while others are very rare or nonexistent. But just knowing a wagering hub has "smarter" bettors doesn't mean a thing if we don't know WHAT advantage they have. And I doubt we ever will.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #212
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
The "advantage" conversation is complicated because is it an advantage of
1) better technology to outhandicap the public and/or manage money,
2) better access to large rebates
3) knowledge of how much money is bet on supposedly "blind" pools like trifectas and superfectas
4) the ability to make 200 different bets with one push of a button with 15 seconds to post
5) the ability to cancel or even make bets slightly after the bell?

I realize some of those are near certainties while others are very rare or nonexistent. But just knowing a wagering hub has "smarter" bettors doesn't mean a thing if we don't know WHAT advantage they have. And I doubt we ever will.
My opinion on each of these.

#1 Absolutely no problem to me.

#2 I have been very clear on this subject, Rebates need to be eliminated and track take needs to be brought way down.

#3 I have my suspicions about how much info they can extract out of the blind pools and if they can this is a huge edge. Not only in determining and exploiting value situations, but in determining and exploiting how live or dead a 1st time starter or layoff horse or any other questionable horse is in a pick 4 or pick 5 pool. I don't know how the software works but I think the racing industry needs to keep other computers out of their computer (if they are not already doing so, which I doubt). These teams supposedly invest millions of dollars into this process, so why would they not hire a programmer to extract as much info as they can get?

#4 I know this one bothers some, doesn't bother me a bit. I wish they made this technology easier for the layman (so that most can use it to their convenience and not just programmers). It would be nice if I can custom design some betting templates that I would like to use frequently so I can just click the box, much like I click trifecta Key and the numbers were populated for the correct amounts and instead of having to retype 6 or 8 tri and supercombos in the last minute. For instance say I rate a race 2-3-6-8 and I wanted to play a superfecta key for .80 cents with the 2 on top and 60 cents with 3 on top 40 cents with the 6 on top and 20 cents with the 8 on top. I should be able to fill out 1 ticket not four to get my bets in. Instead I am offered key and key box options which help some but do not cover all of the bases. I was able to program Twinspires with spreadsheets a few years ago, but they took that technology away, never had any luck trying to program expressbet. Even if I do figure it out, why not make it easy for anyone to custom develop their own wagering preferences?

#5 I hope this isn't available and assume it is not but who knows.
Poindexter is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #213
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
I never said (or meant to say) the advantage is unfair.

You mentioned you didn't have poof of any bigger advantage.

All I did was post a way that track management (and regulators) have used in the past to ascertain the sophistication of money bet at various outlets. (That's all.)

-jp

how come you left out RGS? maybe that is a bad question because i don't even know if they exist today.

but what i would venture to say is that it would be a very rare month that ELITE or if they exist RGS happen to be making checks out to race tracks throughout the continent to be squaring off their monthly balances. i suspect those CRW outlets collect from race tracks 99% of the time or more for their customers.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 04:26 PM   #214
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Thought the ones I used were enough to get the point across... that settlement money can point to where the sophisticated handle is coming from. (Didn't feel like typing out an exhaustive list of bet takers.)

And FWIW... Yes, RGS is still (very much) relevant to the conversation.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-03-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #215
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The horse's expected odds strictly based on the double willpay was roughly 10.5:1. Given the dispersal of takeout in the double vs win betting, 9:1 was probably the most anyone could reasonably expect from the horse's final odds. The point wasn't that one could predict that horse's, or any horse's, exact final odds. The point is that by using willpays, anyone can fairly easily come up with reasonably likely final odds, and thus not bet 8:5 shots ( or whatever ) just because their odds with a minute or two to post are 5:1.

This is a complicated game. That's likely what has attracted the vast majority of us to it. Pretty much everyone here is always looking for any edge we can get. I simply do not understand the never ending threads around here whining about late odds changes when there is a very simple way ( at least at the more major tracks....like Del Mar ) to guessing likely final odds. We spend hours handicapping but can't spend seconds deciphering this? Seriously?

The discussion of the meat that the CAW players have gnawed off the bone is a very good one. Rebates are what has obviously created this. However, I hear a lot of people who survive on rebates complaining about the CAW players. That seems like a slippery slope. But, I digress. Start looking at willpays and stop pulling your hair out pretending there was no way you could have known your 18:1 shot was actually going to close at 8:1. Surely there are better ways to spend that time ( like posting on the internet ).
I think you came with 10.5 -1 based off the fact that the previous winner was 13.20 the double was paying 151 so he was 10.5-1. The best approach to determine the true odds of a horse in the 2nd leg is to determine how much money he is taking from all horses not just the winner of leg 1. There will always be underplayed and overplayed combos. For instance say I am looking at the 2 in leg 2 of a hypothetical $2 double. If the final will pays for the previous leg(six horse field) was

1-2 20.00
2-2 40.00
3-2 100.00
4-2 50.00
5-2 50.00
6-2 100.00

To get back $100 requires

5 tickets on 1-2
2.5 tickets on 2-2
1 ticket on 3-2
2 tickets on 4-2
2 tickets on 5-2
1 ticket on 6-2

13.5 tickets requires an investment of $27 to get back $100 so his equivalent
win odds are 73/27 or 2.7-1. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a little 2.7 for all to see right above the 2 in the next leg. That way if anyone thinks the 2 int he next race should be around 8/5 they quickly know to jump in the double pool.

This is the math that I did quickly in my head and determined the 1 horse that dropped form 18-1 to 8-1 to be around 13-1 in the double pool.
Poindexter is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #216
MJC922

Horseplayers just want a level playing field. Really very little matters other than how many horses I bet on that end up being underlays at closing odds vs my line. If will pays solve that problem great. It's something worth researching. What we know is very few hold an edge greater than 10% on this game, and that is the difference between my line at 3-1 and the final odds of 7-2. point being there just isn't much room to be wrong and make money, there never was. If you win that's great, keep winning, if you don't then stay away. It needs to get back to who can spot value on the board and away from the logistics of getting a bet down with technology and / or these various gyrations of guessing at odds. I've been around long enough to know it was not always like this.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-03-2020 at 04:56 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 05:18 PM   #217
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Horseplayers just want a level playing field. Really very little matters other than how many horses I bet on that end up being underlays at closing odds vs my line. If will pays solve that problem great. It's something worth researching. What we know is very few hold an edge greater than 10% on this game, and that is the difference between my line at 3-1 and the final odds of 7-2. point being there just isn't much room to be wrong and make money, there never was. If you win that's great, keep winning, if you don't then stay away. It needs to get back to who can spot value on the board and away from the logistics of getting a bet down with technology and / or these various gyrations of guessing at odds. I've been around long enough to know it was not always like this.
Very few hold an edge greater than 10%? How many, betting how much, does it take?

If you win that's great, keep winning, if you don't then stay away? How's that business model going to work for everyone? What does it even mean?

It needs to get back to who can spot value, etc? When was that different than it is now, especially given final odds are relatively simple to know within reason? Maybe there were more opportunities for some of us to theoretically find value 10 or 20 plus years ago, but things change....and they don't go back.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #218
Robert Fischer
clean money

"Obvious Stuff" is going to be a slight underlay in horse racing, even when it's an actual most-likely winner.

If you use obvious stuff, and look up at the tote board, and see 7/2 on a 2-1 shot, -

check the will-pays.

If the will-pays suggest 2-1 - you've found yourself some accurate, comprehensive obvious stuff, and you should expect late money.

If the will-pays suggest about 7/2 - you've messed up and missed some of the obvious stuff, or there is insider info or a narrative that you didn't know about. You've incorrectly landed on what you think should be 2/1, but actually 7/2 is closer to the correct priced-in underlay.

In a pari mutuel market, obvious stuff is going to be slightly underlayed. Especially if you add rebates and efficient last-second, driving-force market control.

It's not fan friendly, or necessarily intuitive, but it's a fundamental part of the game, and has to be understood by any semi-serious players.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:11 PM   #219
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Very few hold an edge greater than 10%? How many, betting how much, does it take?

If you win that's great, keep winning, if you don't then stay away? How's that business model going to work for everyone? What does it even mean?

It needs to get back to who can spot value, etc? When was that different than it is now, especially given final odds are relatively simple to know within reason? Maybe there were more opportunities for some of us to theoretically find value 10 or 20 plus years ago, but things change....and they don't go back.
It means if will pays are working for you within a tight enough tolerance that's great, keep winning. If you have a good line and use will pays but find that you still have winners report home below your line 30-40% of the time it simply can't work, those are the people who I believe should stay away. That's what I mean by stay away. If you're getting your odds and still losing that's not the track's problem, that's a linemaking problem. Most people will lose we obviously know that.

The business model will work when I can give you a line i.e. odds criteria, so for example I want to bet this horse at 6-1, and then it's on you (the track) to deliver a reliable solution. If half the time my horse wins you pay me 4-1 or less, that's a fail on the track. It really needs to stop being looked at as some sort of a fail on the customers.

If the only people doing this reliably anymore are betting from some back room in curacao where bets batch in after everyone else's then the business model is absolutely doomed to fail.

My personal solution is simple, I don't play anymore. I can certainly look into will pays as a possible workaround and start playing again however I'd suggest if will pays are reliable enough the tracks should consider turning them into a fixed odds option (with a higher take if need be). Shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

Last edited by MJC922; 08-03-2020 at 06:24 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #220
classhandicapper

1. Very large computer assisted players can provide a significant portion of the daily handle. As a result, they are often offered generous rebates and perks to attract and keep them.

2. Those very skilled large players in turn make the pools more efficient and the game more difficult for the rest of us to beat.

3. The large rebates given to them give the industry less financial wiggle room to cut track takes across the board so everyone could benefit equally (assuming that was possible politically).

4. The average player that works hard handicapping, doing his own figures, watching races, making notes etc.. or maintaining a private database for research is playing against teams that are getting a much better deal than him and also making it harder for him to win.

a. The computer teams are an adversary!

b. The tracks and ADWs don't care enough about you to put that computer revenue at risk by changing the financial and technical arrangements to make them fairer.

It's a great sport and an intellectually challenging game, but if you aren't getting fairly large rebates, you should probably gamble on something else.

The current arrangement is kind of like playing Tiger Woods at his peak and not only do you have to deal with the challenge of his skill, but he's got a full set of clubs and all you have is a putter.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-03-2020 at 06:56 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #221
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
1. Very large computer assisted players can provide a significant portion of the daily handle. As a result, they are often offered generous rebates and perks to attract and keep them.

2. Those very skilled large players in turn make the pools more efficient and the game more difficult for the rest of us to beat.

3. The large rebates given to them give the industry less financial wiggle room to cut track takes across the board so everyone could benefit equally (assuming that was possible politically).

4. The average player that works hard handicapping, doing his own figures, watching races, making notes etc.. or maintaining a private database for research is playing against teams that are getting a much better deal than him and also making it harder for him to win.

a. The computer teams are an adversary!

b. The tracks and ADWs don't care enough about you to put that computer revenue at risk by changing the financial and technical arrangements to make them fairer.

It's a great sport and an intellectually challenging game, but if you aren't getting fairly large rebates, you should probably gamble on something else.

The current arrangement is kind of like playing Tiger Woods at his peak and not only do you have to deal with that challenge, but he's got a full set of clubs and all you have is a putter.
they should care about us, they make the breakage and not much more of them. if the racing game would ever figure out that all they have to do to make big money is eliminate the edges and drop the takeout to 10% for everyone, their handles would quadrupple and maybe go ten fold in a period of time.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #222
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
The business model will work when I can give you a line i.e. odds criteria, so for example I want to bet this horse at 6-1, and then it's on you (the track) to deliver a reliable solution. If half the time my horse wins you pay me 4-1 or less, that's a fail on the track. It really needs to stop being looked at as some sort of a fail on the customers.
What you (and everyone else) needs is exchange wagering (or fixed odds wagering).

I mostly played on an exchange between 2006-2011 and had some of my best years. It's nice to know exactly what price you are getting and to occasionally get an extra few ticks relative to the track price.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-03-2020 at 06:58 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #223
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
What you (and everyone else) needs is exchange wagering (or fixed odds wagering).

I mostly played on an exchange between 2006-2011 and had some of my best years. It's nice to know exactly what price you are getting and to occasionally get an extra few ticks relative to the track price.
Exchange is better than fixed odds. Who is going to offer the fixed odds? You won't get a good price that way, or at least it will be very rare.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #224
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Exchange is better than fixed odds. Who is going to offer the fixed odds? You won't get a good price that way, or at least it will be very rare.
Yeah, you are right.

My years on the exchange were a lot of fun. At the very start, it was so inefficient I wasn't betting enough because I somehow convinced myself nothing in gambling could be that easy. When the sharper computer players came in it got a lot tougher because they snapped up all the bargains so quickly, but it was still an advantage to be locked in or to be able to book a bet and I'd still occasionally get a much better price.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #225
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
DD and exacta pools aren't always predictive of final win-odds at Mnr. But, then again, my way of consulting them isn't very sophisticated.

I wish a Dave S. or a Jeff P. would post the quickest fairly accurate way to guesstimate final win odds based on exacta or DD pools.
Keep in mind that the math shown below is rough... It's something I do in my head (and every once in a while on a scrap of paper) when trying to predict where late money is likely to land.

If you really want it done quickly and accurately - I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard for someone to code out as a VBA macro in Excel. (Imo, if you're going to do that any serious effort at calibration would probably get you something useful.)

And if anyone else has a more accurate method, feel free to jump in. (I'm not against learning new stuff.)

Ok. Let's jump in and do an example race --

These are the $2.00 will pays for the double spanning races 1 and 2 earlier today (Monday 08-03-2020) at Thistledown:

#1 $86.20
#2 $113.80
#3 $18.80
#4 $15.80
#5 $165.20
#6 $36.00
#7 $22.00

First, a description of the basic steps:

A. The first step involves calculating the cost to have singled the winner in (each of) the previous leg(s) to all of the live will pay runners in the final leg.

Let c be equal to the amount it costs to do that.

c = (7 runners) x (2.00 base wager amt)

or

c = 14

B. Next, calculate the adjusted will pay for each runner using the the following formula:

adjWillPay = (actual willpay) x (1/(1-takeout))

C. Finally, calculate estimated odds using the following formula:

est_odds = (adjWillPay/cost)

Next, let's perform each of the steps:

Step #1. cost = (7 runners in final leg) x ($2.00 base wager amt)

or cost = 14

Step #2. Calculate the adjusted will pays for each of the live will pay runners using 0.225 as the takeout

Let's do the right hand side of the adjWillPay formula first because it's the same for each horse.

Let r=(1/(1-takeout))

Substituting the actual takeout rate of 0.225 I get r = (1/0.775) calculated as follows:

r = (1/(1-0.225))
or r = (1/0.775)

Now that we have r, we can calculate the estimated will pay for each runner using the following formula:

adjWillPay = (actual willpay) x r

#1. adjWillPay = 86.20 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 111.23
#2. adjWillPay = 113.80 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 146.84
#3. adjWillPay = 18.80 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 24.26
#4. adjWillPay = 15.80 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 20.39
#5. adjWillPay = 165.20 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 213.16
#6. adjWillPay = 36.00 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 46.45
#7. adjWillPay = 22.00 x (1/0.775) or adjWillPay = 28.39

Step #3. Now that we have adjusted will pays, we can calculate estimated odds for each runner using the following formula:

estOdds = (adjWillPay/c)

#1. estOdds = (111.23/14) or estOdds = 7.95
#2. eestOdds = (146.84/14) or estOdds = 10.49
#3. estOdds = (24.26/14) or estOdds = 1.73
#4. estOdds = (20.38/14) or estOdds = 1.46
#5. estOdds = (213.16/14) or estOdds = 15.23
#6. estOdds = (46.45/14) or estOdds = 3.32
#7. estOdds = (28.39/14) or estOdds = 2.03

Finally, the following table shows the estimated odds using this method vs. the final odds for each runner in the second half of the double spanning races 1 and 2 for Mon 08-03-2020:

Code:
     Est   Final
 #   Odds   Odds
-- ------ ------
#1   7.95   11-1
#2  10.49   23-1
#3   1.73    7-2
#4   1.46    1-1
#5  15.23   25-1
#6   3.32    4-1
#7   1.57    7-2

Fyi, the above method makes no attempt to account for the odds of the winner in previous legs which can and does impact the will pays.

When a short priced favorite wins the first leg of a double the will pays are often lower than normal.

Conversely, when a longshot wins the first leg of a double the will pays are often quite a bit higher than normal.

Both scenarios can cause the estimated odds using this method to vary from final odds.

The first leg of the above example race was won by a favorite that paid $4.40 to win. (Which might skew things a bit.)

However, if you look at odds rank, the rough math shown above came really close to nailing every horse in perfect order.

It missed when it predicted the #7 horse to have lower odds than the #3.

Other than that, it got the odds rank of the horses in perfect order.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-03-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: