Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
only11
Veteran

Why not Criticize Pletcher-Ellis?Facts!

Quality Road-Has won 1 race outside of Gulfstream park..why dont you criticize Pletcher for not traveling to the West...
Rail Trip-Has never raced in the east coast...For the Zen haters who keep posting about the rockies why dont you criticize Ellis for not shipping to race in yesterdays Foster..Have you seen the horses Rail Trip has beaten
Sangaree.the mighty Slew Tiznow,lost to Ball Four..the mighty Dakota Phone..the sprinter Tres Borrachos..and lets not forget Cigar Man..
Rachel Alexandra-has any horse that Ra has beaten last year and this year have come back and won a race yet?

Sherrifs is doing whats best for Zenyatta...hes hand picking her races in order for her to be at her best come BC time...She 6 years old...

Before you criticize Sherriffs,,,whos has done nothing wrong..wheres the criticism of Pletcher and Ellis...Zen has run twice today will be her third...HMMMM Quality has run twice....Rail Trip has run once before yesterday...You think there hand picking there races...?

Last edited by only11; 06-13-2010 at 08:44 AM.
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
shouldacoulda

Wow, I have to keep an eye on this thread. You laid down the gauntlet. I think they are both great.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
sandpit

Only 11, I was thinking the same thing last night about the Ellis/Pletcher deal, without throwing in the anti-Z/RA factor. Realistically, all these jokers hand pick their races because the economics of the game have changed over the years. Could you imagine any of them taking their horse on a nationwide tour like Spectacular Bid in 1980?

After the Derby, Pletcher said was worried to death about the 2 week turnaround until the Preakness. You know why; most modern trainers pound on their horses every morning, overtraining the crap out of them to the point where they are not race ready every time. There was a horse, whose name escapes me, at Ellis Park many years ago. He used to run every week in the stifling heat there, and win a huge percentage of his races. All he did was race and walk, none of this "we need six works between races" mentality.
Halfway through the year, there are a few leading candidates for horse of the year, and none of them have made more than 3 starts. There should be a criteria to be considered for HOTY, you should make at least 8 starts.

Sunday morning rant over.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
Hedevar

Quote:
Originally Posted by only11
Quality Road-Has won 1 race outside of Gulfstream park..why dont you criticize Pletcher for not traveling to the West...
Rail Trip-Has never raced in the east coast...For the Zen haters who keep posting about the rockies why dont you criticize Ellis for not shipping to race in yesterdays Foster..Have you seen the horses Rail Trip has beaten
Sangaree.the mighty Slew Tiznow,lost to Ball Four..the mighty Dakota Phone..the sprinter Tres Borrachos..and lets not forget Cigar Man..
Rachel Alexandra-has any horse that Ra has beaten last year and this year have come back and won a race yet?

Sherrifs is doing whats best for Zenyatta...hes hand picking her races in order for her to be at her best come BC time...She 6 years old...

Before you criticize Sherriffs,,,whos has done nothing wrong..wheres the criticism of Pletcher and Ellis...Zen has run twice today will be her third...HMMMM Quality has run twice....Rail Trip has run once before yesterday...You think there hand picking there races...?
History tells us that if a horse is to be cosidered a true "horse of the ages" the horse must travel and run on various types of tracks taking them as they come.

Before air travel for horses it was by rail or van but all the truly greats traveled. Their owners were sportsmen and women who understood that people wanted to see great horses race in person.

Much in racing has changed but that much has not. The all time greats traveled and raced throughout the country. Now some choose to go worldwide.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedevar
History tells us that if a horse is to be cosidered a true "horse of the ages" the horse must travel and run on various types of tracks taking them as they come.

Before air travel for horses it was by rail or van but all the truly greats traveled. Their owners were sportsmen and women who understood that people wanted to see great horses race in person.

Much in racing has changed but that much has not. The all time greats traveled and raced throughout the country. Now some choose to go worldwide.
Would you agree the reason being is because the breeding industry has taken over the game?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
GaryG
Unreconstructed

The last HOY to race on the west coast (except for the BC) was Azeri in 2002. The last non-California based HOY that traveled west (other than the BC) was Cigar.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
The last HOY to race on the west coast (except for the BC) was Azeri in 2002. The last non-California based HOY that traveled west (other than the BC) was Cigar.
GAry do you remember the year ALL ALONG won HOY ?That was impressive..
Old 06-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
FenceBored

Quote:
Wrong. His maiden win was at Aqu. He won the Amsterdam at Sar. He won the Met Mile at Bel.

Overall:
5-4-1-0 at Gulfstream
5-3-1-1 outside of Gulfstream

Quote:
Here are just the next out stakes winners from Rachel's 2009 races:

Afleet Deceit - (beat last out winner of G1 Ashland)
Big Drama
Flashing - G1
Four Gifts - G3
Gabby's Golden Girl - G1
Summer Bird - G1

But don't let facts get in your way.

Quote:

I'm just curious about your use of "hand picking." Pletcher said immediately after the Donn, which was QR's 2nd race of the year (so he has now run 3 times), that QR's next race would be the Met Mile. Naming your goal over 3 months out is now "hand picking?" How many owners and trainers "hand pick" the Kentucky Derby for their 2yos? What's the alternative, throwing darts at the national stakes schedule?
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #9
Hedevar

Quote:
Would you agree the reason being is because the breeding industry has taken over the game?
Yes, I think that is probably the biggest reason by far. I also think the lack of great horses traveling is one of the reasons (there are obviously others) for such pitiful attendance at racetracks today. Whatever you think of Jess Jackson, and I have my own opinion, he took Curlin to Dubai, tried him on the turf and even ran him on Santa Anita's synthetic. He has to get some credit for those moves.
Hedevar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Geez, that ignores that he's raced (not necessarily won) a number of times away from Gulfstream.

Any you're wrong about that anyway. QR won the Amsterdam and Met Mile, which are 2 races he's won outside of Gulfstream.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

The others have picked out most of your other errors, so I'll point out the last one. Quality Road has made 3 starts this year. Not two.

I think it's pretty obvious why Quality Road isn't shipping west. The surface. Not to mention, if they did ship, Zenyatta wouldn't be in the race anyway. She's avoiding the top of the mountain until November.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
Wrong. His maiden win was at Aqu. He won the Amsterdam at Sar. He won the Met Mile at Bel.

Overall:
5-4-1-0 at Gulfstream
5-3-1-1 outside of Gulfstream

Here are just the next out stakes winners from Rachel's 2009 races:

Afleet Deceit - (beat last out winner of G1 Ashland)
Big Drama
Flashing - G1
Four Gifts - G3
Gabby's Golden Girl - G1
Summer Bird - G1

But don't let facts get in your way.

I'm just curious about your use of "hand picking." Pletcher said immediately after the Donn, which was QR's 2nd race of the year (so he has now run 3 times), that QR's next race would be the Met Mile. Naming your goal over 3 months out is now "hand picking?" How many owners and trainers "hand pick" the Kentucky Derby for their 2yos? What's the alternative, throwing darts at the national stakes schedule?
I should have said the east coast..fence bored,,,what about Munnings,Musket Man,Summer Bird did win the travers then was injured ,Mine that Bird,Bullsbay,Macho Again...those males were world beaters have any of them come back won..
Wait didnt sherriffs say what his plans were with Zenyatta..and everyone loves to bury him for being conservative..wouldnt you say Pletcher and Ellis doing the same thing?

Last edited by only11; 06-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Geez, that ignores that he's raced (not necessarily won) a number of times away from Gulfstream.

Any you're wrong about that anyway. QR won the Amsterdam and Met Mile, which are 2 races he's won outside of Gulfstream.
I should ve said the east coast...my bad
Old 06-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
The others have picked out most of your other errors, so I'll point out the last one. Quality Road has made 3 starts this year. Not two.

I think it's pretty obvious why Quality Road isn't shipping west. The surface. Not to mention, if they did ship, Zenyatta wouldn't be in the race anyway. She's avoiding the top of the mountain until November.
Did Pletcher avoid the Foster?Seems to me everyone thinks QR is the top horse in training.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
I should have said the east coast..your fence bored,,,what about Munnings,Musket Man,Summer Bird id win the travers then was injured ,Mine that Bird,Bullsbay,Macho Again...those males were world beaters have any of them come back won..
Wait didnt sherriffs say what his plans were with Zenyatta..and everyone loves to bury him for being conservative..wouldnt you say Pletcher and Ellis doing the same thing?
How are Pletcher and Ellis being conservative by running in the top races on the circuit where they are? If Zenyatta isn't going to ship, okay. But why not run against males while at home?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply