Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Smarty Cide
Veteran

Tampa Bay Derby/ San Felipe

Any 3yo's worth watching this week?
Smarty Cide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
pondman

Schoolofhardrocks-- expect this one to make an appearance in the triple crown. Can bury this weak San Felipe field. My pick at about 10-1.

Last edited by pondman; 03-04-2014 at 09:06 PM.
pondman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide
Any 3yo's worth watching this week?
IMO the Tampa Bay Derby is coming up very weak. I dont think much of either Pletcher horse. I guess Conquest Titan might be OK, but he better start winning races and not clunking up for 3rd.
Both Baffert horses in the San Felipe could be OK. Bayern is obviously the one with the huge upside though. Im guessing they run 1-2 and complete a very chalky exacta.

Last edited by Thebigguy; 03-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
andtheyreoff

The best 3 year old on Saturday isn't in the Tampa Bay Derby or the San Felipe.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
tanner12oz

Conquest titan solidifies his spot in the derby this week....
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
bgbootha

My thoughts and blog post on the Tampa Bay Derby

My Picks =

Your morning line favorite is the 2 SURFING USA who is coming off a second place finish to derby contender Top Billing in an OC75k back at the end of January. Most would assume this would be a jump up in class coming out of a OC75k to a graded stakes, but the reality is that most of the horses in this race are probably much more suited to be running in those OC75k or ungraded stakes races. The inside post will help Surfing USA who will want and should be able to grab the rail and the pace during the early parts of the race. One interesting note about Surfing USA is that he yet to run two races on the same race track. All three of his previous races came from different tracks, from Belmont, to Aqueduct down to Gulfstream and now finally over to Tampa Bay. You can’t throw out this Todd Pletcher trained horse, and he may just be the best of this bunch.

The second choice in the morning line is CONQUEST TITAN who is coming off a distant second in the G2-Holy Bull losing to Cairo Prince who closed the Kentucky Derby futures pool as the favorite. Conquest Titan ran a good race but was clearly second to Cairo Prince that day. Conquest Titan hasn’t raced since the 25th of January and made a strong move from the back of the pack to come up strong in the Holy Bull. This race sets up pretty well for Conquest Titan who made need some help from up front to get a decent pace to run at. In what appears to be a relatively weak field, Conquest Titan has shown the ability to beat horses in this caliber before.

Another interesting horse in this race is the 6 VINCEREMOS who is coming off a nose victory here in Tampa Bay in the Sam F Davis stakes at odds of 12-1. Vinceremos also likes to come off the pace and has been working out well coming into this contest. Another Todd Pletcher entry will be sure to be part of the later part of the race and it may come down to who has the better trip between Vinceremos and Conquest Titan on who has the best chance to catch the leaders coming down the stretch.

EAST HALL is clearly the most raced horse in the field, but has already shown that he can’t run with these other horses, in fact East Hall hasn’t won a race since breaking his Maiden back in the middle of October, he may come up to steal a few points and get a part of the Trifecta or the Super, but I don’t’ see this horse being anywhere near the front come the finish line.

An interesting horse that I will have to include in my horizontals on this day would have to be the 4 COLTIMUS PRIME; besides having the best name in the field, this is a horse that has improved in every race he has ran and makes a move over to the dirt. Coming off two solid races on the Woodbine all weather surfaces, this is a horse that likes to be on or near the front and was barely caught by a nose in his last outing. There are plenty of things to allow other betters to cross this horse off their sheets, he finished second in a weaker field his last time out, is coming off a three month layoff and his connections are relatively unknown. That being said, he has shown constant improvement and the move to the dirt for an early pace horse can only help. He did run a 92 Brisnet speed rating his last time out which is near the top of this field. If he continues to improve he could have a decent shot to win this race at a good price.

This is a wide open race and the pace scenario looks to be interesting. At first glance it looks like it should be a fairly quick pace, but a great deal of the pace is coming from the outside in the 8 and the 10 leaving the 4 Coltimus Prime and the 2 Surfing USA on the inside to battle it out. It wouldn’t be crazy to me to see the Coltimus Prime wire this field, but if the pace is pressed, I would look for one of the favorites to eat them up coming down the stretch and steal a gate at the Kentucky Derby.
bgbootha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
The best 3 year old on Saturday isn't in the Tampa Bay Derby or the San Felipe.
Exactly.... Bobby's Kitten is making is 3yO debut.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #8
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
Exactly.... Bobby's Kitten is making is 3yO debut.

And will likely lose to the Proctor horse.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #9
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
No way Bobby's Kitten loses. He has the potential to be a turf monster.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

I don't like anybody in the Tampa Bay Derby.

seems like a fairly close race.

Maybe a play against the popular horse = Conquest Titan needs to win this race to continue to claim a place on Derby lists.

Maybe a key on Surfing USA, the best Pletcher horse.

Cousin Stephen was the best of the Sam F. Davis bunch

Ring Weekend can hit the board at big odds. Hy Kodiak Warrior is in a similar group.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #11
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

East Hall (I used him last time) can get a piece also.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #12
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
Ummmmmmm No.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
No way Bobby's Kitten loses. He has the potential to be a turf monster.
Potential? Hes already a graded winner on turf and finished 3rd in the Breeders Cup while be given one of the worst rides in the history of the sport. He will win this race then most likely take a shot in the Blue Grass.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
East Hall (I used him last time) can get a piece also.
He seems solid.
One thing that I use as a general rule is to try to avoid playing horses who got the same setup as others in previous race and didn't win their individual group. Not really fair considering the other horse in his setup group was Top Billing. But he didn't run bad in the FOY and there are no Top Billings here, and he gets a way better post on a track that shouldn't be so speed favoring as the one Wildcat Red and General a Rod ran so big on.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #15
letswastemoney

I can't decide between Surfing U S A and Hy Kodiak Warrior. If going by TimeformUS numbers, Surfing U S A has to look VERY good.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply