Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #31
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
right from my mother's mouth--THOSE THAT TELL DON'T KNOW, AND THOSE THAT KNOW DON'T TELL

her words apply to more than horse racing
Hey lamboguy. Your mother got that from the Tao Te Ching written many centuries ago.

Lao Tzu said in chapter 56

Those who know do not talk.
Those who talk do not know.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #32
PIC6SIX

No one took me under their wing, I had to learn the hard way by losing and still do. However, one can learn from their mistakes. Forty years of experience at this game has taught me that BETTING over shadows handicapping. Example, its decided your handicapping insight for a certain race offers you an edge. Now the difficult part starts. You must now decide; which pool to wager into, (w,pl,sh,DD,ex,tri,p3,p4, other exotics) amount to wager, do I use saver bets, is potential payoff adequate or only minimal, yadayadayada. You get the message.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #33
turninforhome10

My uncle always told that you will not appreciate being married to big woman until you sleep on the south side of her when there is a cold north wind.

The oldest and best advice I received and it is still a goodie, " Eat with your bettin money, but don't bet with your eatin money".
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #34
tanner12oz

Make bets that will actually bring a reward...the name of the game is winning cash and not simply cashing tickets...this is gambling and 99% of the time ya gotta make a gamble somewhere...do not play 3 x3x3 pick 3's...take the single and punch it multiple time...when you are confident I want you to press press and press some more...when your not avoid it like the plague...key for me has always been sequence...gimme a horse I like sandwiched between some chaos races and you'll have me playing all day long
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #35
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly

"Son, you are at a horse track betting on horses. There are only four rules in life when it comes to betting on horses. 1.) YOU place the bet 2.) HORSES do the running 3.) YOU win some you loose some 4.) THAT'S why they call it GAMBLING"
This is something I've said on here many times and it is so true. Anyone that says a horse is a "sure thing", the greatest or can't lose...is not a gambler. A good gambler already understands he will lose many times and can handle it. I'm repeating what others have already said in a way. Information is best when no one else has it or agrees with it..you are in a pool vs. everyone else. When people tout the chalky, chalk or the next super star or the clearly obvious horses and info..chances are its worthless. As for people that don't know, don't talk....it's not entirely true either....most people don't listen anyway. Most people are not cut out to be gamblers they follow the "crowd" or the "popular rhetoric" being reported as gospel. The best advice I got was many moons ago.....in the 6th grade I had a brilliant teacher that taught me to NEVER take things at face value, by what's being "reported" or by what others are saying...ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND LEARN HOW TO FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. That's a key and I do know what I'm doing, I'm telling it and it goes over most peoples heads. Good gamblers will tell you all of this....but I've found that so many people won't listen or just don't get it and never will. If you can't think rationally, objectively and independently, plus take the "body blows of losing", you'll just be another person that never wins at any form of gambling. I gave out so many football winners by thinking for myself....watch how many people quote the jug heads on ESPN..they ARE NOT gamblers.

Last edited by burnsy; 02-28-2014 at 07:39 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 AM   #36
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Hey lamboguy. Your mother got that from the Tao Te Ching written many centuries ago.

Lao Tzu said in chapter 56

Those who know do not talk.
Those who talk do not know.
i love it, that's pretty kewl
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #37
TheEdge07
Veteran

When trying to get even

You get even worst!
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #38
MutuelClerk

You can beat one race but you'll never beat the races.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #39
rubicon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
This is something I've said on here many times and it is so true. Anyone that says a horse is a "sure thing", the greatest or can't lose...is not a gambler. A good gambler already understands he will lose many times and can handle it. I'm repeating what others have already said in a way. Information is best when no one else has it or agrees with it..you are in a pool vs. everyone else. When people tout the chalky, chalk or the next super star or the clearly obvious horses and info..chances are its worthless. As for people that don't know, don't talk....it's not entirely true either....most people don't listen anyway. Most people are not cut out to be gamblers they follow the "crowd" or the "popular rhetoric" being reported as gospel. The best advice I got was many moons ago.....in the 6th grade I had a brilliant teacher that taught me to NEVER take things at face value, by what's being "reported" or by what others are saying...ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND LEARN HOW TO FORM YOUR OWN OPINION. That's a key and I do know what I'm doing, I'm telling it and it goes over most peoples heads. Good gamblers will tell you all of this....but I've found that so many people won't listen or just don't get it and never will. If you can't think rationally, objectively and independently, plus take the "body blows of losing", you'll just be another person that never wins at any form of gambling. I gave out so many football winners by thinking for myself....watch how many people quote the jug heads on ESPN..they ARE NOT gamblers.
Never truer words spoken above.
rubicon55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #40
HUSKER55

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
"Never play cards with a man called Doc.

Never eat at a place called Mom's.

And never lie down with a woman who has more problems than you have..."

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #41
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Don't get too proud when you win and don't let a few losses discourage you. Maintain your equilibrium and win with the same face that you lose with. This from my first mentor Ernie Mason.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #42
DJofSD
Screw PC

I guess we're not sticking with racing and handicapping advice.

Here's a good one: just because you can do something does not mean you should.

The best: never let the little head do the thinking for the big one.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #43
speed

"Take two weeks off..........then quit." Lee Trevino

Golfer in pro-am with Trevino is on the green and asks Lee for advice on the putt. Trevino walks around the green, stands behind the ball and plum bobs the putt. Waits a few seconds, looks at the guy and says keep it low.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
Dan Montilion

Go To The Clubhouse.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #45
pondman

Before the internet and multiple exotics, I had a Pro at SA tell me, "I made $300k last year and you'll see me at the window less than 10 times a week."

He lectured me on the value of staying away from gambling completely, until you had something that would pay for a car or a down payment on a house. And then you load up on the bet. One time I was at the track with him playing a 40-1 shot. He was on the nose for a grand. I had $100 to WPS. The horse came in 2nd by a nose. He said to me," If the horse had won, you would have lost 8k. Stay on the win" It took me at least a decade to understand what he was talking about.