Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #211
keilan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
That's all I asked for.

I respect Jeff as a representative of horseplayers and asked what his opinion is.

What are you expecting?

You offer and share almost nothing but continue to ask question of others! From what I've read not a fair exchange.

Why these people go through such lengths to respond is baffling.........
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #212
Charli125

Here's a pretty sizable list of trainers that were trying to get away with illegal drugs. It's Standardbred only, but I think this many detections shows that there is a lot of funny business going on.

Based on the wording in the article, it sounds like they just recently figured out how to test for it or just improved the test for it. If anyone knows the history of Oxymetazoline testing I'm curious to hear it.

Who knows what else is being used that we haven't figured out yet.

http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/not...ive-tests.html

• Joseph S. Anderson: 2 year suspension and $5,000 fine
• Paul Blumenfeld: 180 day suspension and $5,000 fine
• Robert W. Harmon: 180 day suspension and $5,000 fine
• Thomas Merton: 6 month suspension and $2,000 fine
• Lance Hudson: 120 day suspension and $2,000 fine
• Heidi Rohr: 120 day suspension and $2,000 fine
• Mark Kesmodel: 105 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Christopher Oakes: 105 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Richard J. Banca: 90 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Paul N. Fusco: 90 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Frank Yanoti: 90 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Kevin W. Johnson: 60 day suspension and $1,000 fine
• Frank Calcagni: 60 day suspension and $750 fine
• Don C. Campbell: 60 day suspension and $750 fine
• David Duspiva: 60 day suspension and $750 fine
• Michael Vanderkemp: 60 day suspension and $750 fine
Old 12-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #213
andymays
Veteran

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/oxymetazoline-nasal.html

Excerpt:

What is oxymetazoline nasal?

Oxymetazoline is a decongestant. It works by constricting (shrinking) blood vessels (veins and arteries) in your body. The nasal formulation acts directly on the blood vessels in your nasal tissues. Constriction of the blood vessels in your nose and sinuses leads to drainage of these areas and a decrease in congestion.

Oxymetazoline nasal is used to treat congestion associated with allergies, hay fever, sinus irritation, and the common cold.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #214
andymays
Veteran

This subject is interesting because at first glance you would think that this shouldn't be a big deal if it helps them breath but apparently if it is taken too often it could have serious side effects. I'm not into harness racing but don't they run once a week?

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/oxymetazoline-nasal.html

Excerpt:

What is the most important information I should know about oxymetazoline nasal?

Do not use oxymetazoline nasal for longer than 3 to 5 days. Longer use could cause damage to your nasal tissue and lead to chronic congestion.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #215
Charli125

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
This subject is interesting because at first glance you would think that this shouldn't be a big deal if it helps them breath but apparently if it is taken too often it could have serious side effects. I'm not into harness racing but don't they run once a week?
If any trainers can weigh in on this I'd love to hear your thoughts. They do indeed run much more often, so maybe one of the harness followers has some info.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #216
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Added note, sorry, but I'd forgotten how poorly he ran in '06 in his one start on the dirt here.
Finishing 6th in the most important Dirt race in the world, you call that running poorly???
He finished in front of Lava Man, Perfect Drift, Lawyer Ron, Sun King and Flower Alley, most of whom were multiple G1 dirt winners and all established G1 dirt caliber horses. You call that running poorly?
It was also his first run at 10f, up until then he had been a stone cold miler. You call that running poorly???
If that's running poorly, what do you consider running good?
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #217
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan
You offer and share almost nothing but continue to ask question of others! From what I've read not a fair exchange.

Why these people go through such lengths to respond is baffling.........
When we start instituting member ratings & reviews, you'll be getting my first call as consultant...until then...not so much of the above, ok? Thanks.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #218
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
Finishing 6th in the most important Dirt race in the world, you call that running poorly???
He finished in front of Lava Man, Perfect Drift, Lawyer Ron, Sun King and Flower Alley, most of whom were multiple G1 dirt winners and all established G1 dirt caliber horses. You call that running poorly?
It was also his first run at 10f, up until then he had been a stone cold miler. You call that running poorly???
If that's running poorly, what do you consider running good?
Winning the race?
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #219
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
Winning the race?
So Zenyatta ran a poor race in the Classic last year?
Brilliant Speed ran a poor race in the Turf this year?

If a horse finishes 6th in the world's most important Dirt race and finishes in front of confirmed G1 dirt animals like Lava Man, Lawyer Ron etc, and the horse does this in his i) first run on dirt, ii) first run longer than a mile, then the "he doesn't belong on dirt" argument is a really really really really really dopey argument to make.

Running poorly is Dylan Thomas in the JCGC. That horse had no business running on dirt. GW's run in the Classic was a respectable run.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #220
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
So Zenyatta ran a poor race in the Classic last year?
Brilliant Speed ran a poor race in the Turf this year?

If a horse finishes 6th in the world's most important Dirt race and finishes in front of confirmed G1 dirt animals like Lava Man, Lawyer Ron etc, and the horse does this in his i) first run on dirt, ii) first run longer than a mile, then the "he doesn't belong on dirt" argument is a really really really really really dopey argument to make.

Running poorly is Dylan Thomas in the JCGC. That horse had no business running on dirt. GW's run in the Classic was a respectable run.
It was the his worst performance of his career, barring the one that resulted in his death.

By the by, what G1 race had Lawyer Ron won at that stage of his career? His only prior appearance in a G1 was a 12th in that year's Ky Derby. Do you want that as your touchstone of excellence?

Lava Man had a reputation for not running well outside of California, and what do you know, Churchill isn't in California. In fact, he never finished better than 7th in any race outside California. 16th in Dubai, 11th in the Japan Cup Dirt, 7th at Belmont, Churchill and Gulfstream.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #221
Luke22

I was doing a search and came across this forum. After reading all 15 pages of the posting I could not standby and let Glenn take such an undeserved bashing especially the earlier part of the posts. I have known Glenn for over 20 years now, 10 of which he has been my trainer. He may be considered to some of you as a “small time trainer” but I would not want anyone else. He truly cares about the horses and gives them the best care and feed….I know this because I have paid the bills and have seen first hand going to the barn almost daily during the meet. As an animal lover this was very important to me, neither he nor his father J. Willard Thompson ever had a horse test positive for illegal drugs in their career.

Grits thank you for taking the time to read the entire book and your comments. You do not even know Glenn and you hit the nail right on the head when you said “he is simply fed up with the status quo”. As you know from reading the book, he has been trying to handle things internally but when all the powers that be turned a deaf ear, he decided to go public with what he knew to be true. In reading the book you can get a sense of where Glenn is coming from and why he wrote it, reading some of the comments it was evident that most had not. Glenn is not going to make a fortune from $9.99 to those few that care enough about the welfare of horses to read this it, he is just trying his best to improve racing. Other horses and jockeys as well can get injured running with a horse that is not fit but given meds so they don’t feel pain and possibly breakdown causing a big spill. Instead of making harsh comments read the book and lets all try to work together to make a difference.

As far as the testing for illegal drugs, do you think the trainers who are doing it and the Vets don’t know which meds will not show up? Of course they do, and when they catch on to one drug they simply move on to finding another that won’t. The illegal meds are being given with the Lasix, being this is a diuretic it also conveniently flushes the system.

I am proud to have Glenn as my trainer and that he has the guts to speak up when he sees something wrong. He does not just bury his head in the sand like everyone else. I was there at the Breeders Cup right in front watching when George Washington broke his leg, I will never forget this for the rest of my life. When I heard what really happened it made me sick. It would be a dishonor to the horse that lost his life and other horses we may not know about to not tell the truth and try to make a difference so that it may never happen again.
Luke22 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #222
Grits

Quote:
Luke22 wrote: Grits thank you for taking the time to read the entire book and your comments. You do not even know Glenn and you hit the nail right on the head when you said “he is simply fed up with the status quo”.

One can more readily share thoughts when familiarizing themselves with the material. Thank you, Luke.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #223
Hanover1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
If any trainers can weigh in on this I'd love to hear your thoughts. They do indeed run much more often, so maybe one of the harness followers has some info.

The drug in question is commonly known as Afrin. Widely used by humans. Just another twist on an older OTC drug that horsemen have figured a way to administer. Been in use for awhile actually. Taking awhile as well for testing procedures to catch up. Nothing new here sadly....
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #224
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke22
neither he nor his father J. Willard Thompson ever had a horse test positive for illegal drugs in their career.
early in the thread it was stated that his father is disgusted with him. do you have any comments on that?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #225
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan
The author is a wannabe, neverwas big time trainer.

His father, a long time trainer, is disgusted with him.
This is low, real low from one hiding behind a keyboard.

Yet, you, Proximity, actually want the poster, Luke, to answer your question?

Comments, questions, and curiosity such as this are not only pathetic; they're also as inflammatory as sin. Useless.

Last edited by Grits; 12-14-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply