Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #16
Lasix67

I remember being at EVD one evening and I think it was Wilfred Lazado who was riding for a stable with a confederate flag as silks and he's a black jockey. Thought it was bizarre
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #17
billyball

silks

The owner with the Confederate flag silks in California during the 80s,90s and into this decade is or was Jim Robertson. Used R.L. Martin as his trainer most often in NorCal. Jeff Mullens trained for him and they would usually get a few wins every year at Del Mar.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #18
ManeMediaMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
take out the horses name

take out the bribe they paid

and I would be behind them wanting to use the silks on a first amendment stance.

But these two were just asking for it
Would you be behind them to use a Nazi Flag set of colors too?

This isn't "freedom of speech" in the manner our forefathers intended it.

This a rather silent way of intentionally belittling someone because of their race. The color-man should be fired and the owners suspended for five years.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #19
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
This may have nothing to do with this story, but i remember it clear as day.

there was a owner and i believe it is in So. Cal who has the confederate flag as his/her silks. The horse with those silks won the race, and when they came back to Ken and his co host, he said

"good performance from that horse, but i must say, they really should get rid of those silks. there is no excuse for those silks to be on the track"

that isn't verbatim but that was the gist of it, he was definately pissed about someone wearing those colors. makes me think they use those silks cause they know it pisses him off.
Interesting. This makes a bit more sense now if there's some history here. So these guys were mad at Rudolph for dissing the confed flag, which they might not view as a racist symbol any more than Lynard Skynard did.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManeMediaMogul
Would you be behind them to use a Nazi Flag set of colors too?

This isn't "freedom of speech" in the manner our forefathers intended it.

This a rather silent way of intentionally belittling someone because of their race. The color-man should be fired and the owners suspended for five years.
Sure they can use a Nazi flag, if they want. The first Amendment has no regard for taste. There are a lot of things that our forefathers intended that are not the same today. But those same forefathers setup a entire system for making that decision through judicial review etc. I am sure our "forefathers" would be appalled at the taxation we enforce with armed agents today........ but I don't see you calling for an end to taxes. It's a great discussion, but it has been done here before.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

As long as the commission, acting on behalf of the state, doesn't get involved, I can't see where there's a freedom of speech issue going on. If the track management via the stewards don't want that stuff happening, it's their call and that should be the end of it. A lot of rights are given up when one goes to work at a racetrack. The right to wear a swastika, or a confederate flag, is surely one of them.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
TEJAS KIDD

My god. That's awful and now my buddy feels terrible.
We were at Canterbury this weekend and Ken was working for the Claiming Crown. After the races Ken was at the bar and my buddy approached him jokingly talking about the horse MUTE RUDULPH winning. He said Ken acted ashamed and refused when my friend asked him if he could buy him a drink.
We both had no idea about the silks incident. Ken, if you read this, my sincere apologies from myself and my jacka.. buddy who now feels equally ashamed for his remarks. I hope jobs and licenses will be lost.
I'm glad the announcer, whether it was intentional or not, miscalled the name, kudos to him.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #23
Ron

The Dixie Flag doesn't represent racism. It is a symbol of the South. I won't argue that there is some confusion.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
carlonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Sure they can use a Nazi flag, if they want. The first Amendment has no regard for taste. There are a lot of things that our forefathers intended that are not the same today. But those same forefathers setup a entire system for making that decision through judicial review etc. I am sure our "forefathers" would be appalled at the taxation we enforce with armed agents today........ but I don't see you calling for an end to taxes. It's a great discussion, but it has been done here before.

One can also yell "fire!" in a crowed theatre, but there are legal consequences.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonr
One can also yell "fire!" in a crowed theatre, but there are legal consequences.
Right, and I understand what JustRalph is saying too, but it's not as if this was done for political or expression reasons...the owners just grabbed onto what would the most offensive label they could think of and used it...and that's wrong.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
cosmo96

Confederate Silks

I'm pretty sure I've seen confederate silks at River Downs and Turfway, but nobody cares. I won't swear to this, but I think I did. I know there are confederate flags at tailgate parties at River Downs. I live in Xenia near Dayton, and the rebel flag is popular. Again nobody makes a big deal about it, or cares.

Last edited by cosmo96; 02-11-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Sysonby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo96
I'm pretty sure I've seen confederate silks at River Downs and Turfway, but nobody cares. I won't swear to this, but I think I did. I know there are confederate flags at tailgate parties at River Downs. I live in Xenia near Dayton, and the rebel flag is popular. Again nobody makes a big deal about it, or cares.
I would be surprised if there weren't people who found it offensive. While it may mean one thing to a lot of people, it can have other more sinister meanings for other groups.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #28
cosmo96

What the Rebel Flag Means

The confederate flag does have different meanings to some it is southern pride and culture. The flag is often seen at country music concerts especially southern rock and outlaw country. Those who attend Hank Williams Jr. and Lynerd Skinner concerts just want to get drunk and raise hell. They don't especially see it as racist. It's part of the redneck culture. In southern Ohio there is a group called Rednecks for Obama. They had a rally for the president. Obama was there having a good time. And unfortunately some people use it to make racist statements.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #29
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
The Dixie Flag doesn't represent racism. It is a symbol of the South. I won't argue that there is some confusion.
That is certainly true.

However, we live in the age where a significant number of people believe that it is their constitutional right to never be offended. Which amendment is that again?

The thing that troubles me more than any of this is that their careers are on the line over something like this, while a trainer convicted of drugging on multiple occasions gets a suspension.

What is wrong with this picture? Where is the outrage over LEGAL ISSUES?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
That is certainly true.

However, we live in the age where a significant number of people believe that it is their constitutional right to never be offended. Which amendment is that again?

The thing that troubles me more than any of this is that their careers are on the line over something like this, while a trainer convicted of drugging on multiple occasions gets a suspension.

What is wrong with this picture? Where is the outrage over LEGAL ISSUES?
Nicely put!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: