Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Hovdey looks like a fool talking about Rapid Redux

http://www.drf.com/news/hovdey-there...re-are-records

Stick to fluff pieces about the west coast.

Quote:
The “record” to which Wells referred is the 19 wins of Citation in 1948, when he started 20 times. Rapid Redux, in the midst of his 20-race winning streak, has 18 of them in 2011.
Ummm, this isn't a record. I love how people just manufacture records without doing the research.

Quote:
His justifiably proud trainer, David Wells, did not help matters much when he said, in the wake of RR’s 20th straight last Monday at Charles Town, “We’re still eyeing Citation’s record.”
I'm sure Mountaineer wanted this kind of press when they carded the race.

Facts have never been very important to Hovdey. Here is a quote from a previous column about barrel racing:

Quote:
For the most part, every round of barrel racing is a variation on a very narrow theme – just as six-furlong races at Charles Town in November can start to look a lot alike
Please let me know the next time they run a 6f race at CT.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
andymays
Veteran

John White wrote the same thing.

http://www.xpressbet.com/iframe/article.aspx?id=2961

Excerpt:

Rapid Redux Now One Shy of Citations’s Record
November 23, 2011

Now that Rapid Redux has won 20 in a row to surpass Pepper’s Pride and Zenyatta in terms of a winning streak, he is on the brink of tying the record for most victories by a Thoroughbred in a calendar year in the United States.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
John White wrote the same thing.

http://www.xpressbet.com/iframe/article.aspx?id=2961

Excerpt:

Rapid Redux Now One Shy of Citations’s Record
November 23, 2011

Now that Rapid Redux has won 20 in a row to surpass Pepper’s Pride and Zenyatta in terms of a winning streak, he is on the brink of tying the record for most victories by a Thoroughbred in a calendar year in the United States.
Yes, I know, but it isn't accurate. It has been beaten at least a few times that I have seen. If they want to put a timeframe on it, then they should put that in print.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Yes, I know, but it isn't accurate. It has been beaten at least a few times that I have seen. If they want to put a timeframe on it, then they should put that in print.
White says "Calendar year" right? Or do you mean that Hovdey doesn't make that point?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
White says "Calendar year" right? Or do you mean that Hovdey doesn't make that point?
I mean other horses won more races in a calendar year than Citation did in the United States. The only way it is a record, which would not really be a record, is if they include "since ????".
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I mean other horses won more races in a calendar year than Citation did in the United States. The only way it is a record, which would not really be a record, is if they include "since ????".
Got it. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
A. Pineda

Damn those guys for writing about something good in horse racing. We need to hear more about drugs and crooked trainers, not this "18 wins in one year" crap.

Why is it that so many horse racing fans love to shoot their sport in the foot in spite of the unwelcome results? Seems like something only fools would do.

I must have missed the part about barrel racing in the article, although I don't see how that relates to a thoroughbred's win streak.

By the way, Wells made the statement and Hovedy merely referred to it, even using quotation marks on the word "record."

Finally, Wells' statement is correct because it's CITATION'S RECORD which he's chasing, not that of some horse in Puerto Rico.
A. Pineda is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Pineda
Damn those guys for writing about something good in horse racing. We need to hear more about drugs and crooked trainers, not this "18 wins in one year" crap.

Why is it that so many horse racing fans love to shoot their sport in the foot in spite of the unwelcome results? Seems like something only fools would do.

I must have missed the part about barrel racing in the article, although I don't see how that relates to a thoroughbred's win streak.

By the way, Wells made the statement and Hovedy merely referred to it, even using quotation marks on the word "record."

Finally, Wells' statement is correct because it's CITATION'S RECORD which he's chasing, not that of some horse in Puerto Rico.
If you are going to write something as a professional journalist, get your facts right. He didn't even get the track right. On the other comment, I said it was from a previous column.

Finally, his statement is not correct. I said other horses in the US have bettered it, not Puerto Rico.

Last edited by cj; 11-25-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
classhandicapper

I think this is one of the situations where somewhere reported the information inaccurately, it was repeated several times by other people, and then it became accepted as fact on the assumption it must have been fact checked somewhere along the line.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-25-2011 at 12:49 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I think this is one of the situations where somewhere along the line someone reported the information inaccurately, it was repeated by others several times, and then it became accepted as fact.
Which one? The record, that the 20th in a row was at CT, or the CT runs 6f races? LOL!
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
A. Pineda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
If you are going to write something as a professional journalist, get your facts right. He didn't even get the track right. On the other comment, I said it was from a previous column.

Finally, his statement is not correct. I said other horses in the US have bettered it, not Puerto Rico.
Have it your way, but I think Wells knows what he wants to accomplish with this horse, and stated it correctly. I think you're paying way too much attention to the messenger, and ignoring the story, which attempted to put RR's achievements into context.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Which one? The record, that the 20th in a row was at CT, or the CT runs 6f races? LOL!
The record. The rest I can't account for.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Have it your way, but I think Wells knows what he wants to accomplish with this horse, and stated it correctly. I think you're paying way too much attention to the messenger, and ignoring the story, which attempted to put RR's achievements into context.
He wants to beat a record that isn't a record? Good luck to him.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #14
A. Pineda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He wants to beat a record that isn't a record? Good luck to him.
Since Hovedy spoke about a "win streak" and Wells spoke about eyeing Citation's "record", I believe that your slams against Hovedy were misdirected. In the trainer's exuberance he seemed to compare his charge to Citation, which was addressed in the article. Good to see that you're rooting for him, though.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Since Hovedy spoke about a "win streak" and Wells spoke about eyeing Citation's "record", I believe that your slams against Hovedy were misdirected. In the trainer's exuberance he seemed to compare his charge to Citation, which was addressed in the article. Good to see that you're rooting for him, though.
That was only one of the miscues. Even so, as a professional, he should have checked the claim that it was, in fact, a record. There isn't much true journalism in our sport, and that is a big part of why horse racing finds itself where it is today.