Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-01-2023, 01:07 AM   #16
davew

the Mission Impossible franchise has anther coming soon

a small clip showing Tom trying not to kill himself doing the stunts

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #17
mountainman

Maverick nearly astonished me. The urgent plot, unequaled aerial scenes, redemptive angle, and, of course, Tom Cruise.

Elvis..not so much. I was ok with the "third person" Colonel Parker perspective, and the king's self destruction must be part of the story arc, but to characterize his career as a tragic squandering of talent and him as some sort of repressed 70's "wokester," especially given the man's unabashed redneck roots and behavior, strikes me as silly revisionism.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-01-2023 at 10:49 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2023, 10:46 AM   #18
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I had like the opposite reaction.

I was a little underwhelmed with Maverick given all the hype...and came away thinking Elvis was better than I thought it was going to be....
Old 07-01-2023, 08:38 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

First date for me n the wife was going to see Top Gun the original. So it was really cool for us. The first 5 minutes etc really brought it all back.

I have always been a huge Elvis fan, I trace it back to being about 9 yrs old and watching the 68 Comeback Special. I knew who he was before that and my mother played Elvis records when I was very young.

I thought the movie was pretty good and that kid that played Elvis was incredible. I did not care for the Colonel Parker perspective much. I loved the music ….even some of the chopped up stuff….like “Tupelo Shuffle”

I just found out that Elvis is my 7th cousin. We share a grandfather back 7 generations.

Rod Serling too (which is pretty damn cool) and 21 U.S. Presidents and huge group of famous people. It’s really all about geographical location. If your family came to this country and flourished in Virginia and NC (the most prosperous areas I guess) then you can be related to a huge assortment of famous people if you just go back far enough. I recommend www.familysearch.org

The Mormon Church started sharing their databases a few years ago and they are being merged with the big ancestry sites and tons of new info has become available. Now is the best time ever to look into your family history.

Last edited by JustRalph; 07-01-2023 at 08:39 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #20
garyscpa

Kevin Bacon?
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 03:13 AM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
Kevin Bacon?
9 th cousin 3 times removed. The graphic shows his father and our connection

I blacked out my info…..for privacy reasons

We share a grandfather from 1605. Probably doesn’t qualify for the KB game.

Btw, Pocahontas was my 12th gr grandmother. I’m thinking of changing my screen name to Chief Justralph

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0374.jpg (145.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by JustRalph; 07-02-2023 at 03:20 AM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 01:32 PM   #22
xtb

That is pretty cool and I have thought about doing it but I don't like the idea of having my DNA in a database somewhere. Especially if the shit really hits the fan.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #23
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
First date for me n the wife was going to see Top Gun the original. So it was really cool for us. The first 5 minutes etc really brought it all back.

I have always been a huge Elvis fan, I trace it back to being about 9 yrs old and watching the 68 Comeback Special. I knew who he was before that and my mother played Elvis records when I was very young.

I thought the movie was pretty good and that kid that played Elvis was incredible. I did not care for the Colonel Parker perspective much. I loved the music ….even some of the chopped up stuff….like “Tupelo Shuffle”

I just found out that Elvis is my 7th cousin. We share a grandfather back 7 generations.

Rod Serling too (which is pretty damn cool) and 21 U.S. Presidents and huge group of famous people. It’s really all about geographical location. If your family came to this country and flourished in Virginia and NC (the most prosperous areas I guess) then you can be related to a huge assortment of famous people if you just go back far enough. I recommend www.familysearch.org

The Mormon Church started sharing their databases a few years ago and they are being merged with the big ancestry sites and tons of new info has become available. Now is the best time ever to look into your family history.
I once knew a guy who ran with Sonny and Red West in hs and whose mom sometimes babysat Elvis when he was young. And, boy, did he have stories.

He told me Elvis was so edgy and snarly that, lacking other outlets for hostility, he would sometimes pull into gas stations late at nite and attempt to start fights with the attendants. Even after he became famous. From my perspective, that attitude more than comes across in his movies.

Last edited by mountainman; 07-02-2023 at 02:03 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2023, 04:16 PM   #24
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I once knew a guy who ran with Sonny and Red West in hs and whose mom sometimes babysat Elvis when he was young. And, boy, did he have stories.

He told me Elvis was so edgy and snarly that, lacking other outlets for hostility, he would sometimes pull into gas stations late at nite and attempt to start fights with the attendants. Even after he became famous. From my perspective, that attitude more than comes across in his movies.
I saw an interview with an Elvis Cousin that said E would start fights with guys who were making fun of his clothes or hair.

He also said that lots of guys taunted him because their girlfriends were so Elvis crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
That is pretty cool and I have thought about doing it but I don't like the idea of having my DNA in a database somewhere. Especially if the shit really hits the fan.
I never submitted my dna. But a few of my relatives did. The records the Mormon Church had were very impressive. Also, depending on what state your family was in……some states have incredible records and archives. Virginia being the best I’ve seen.