Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #31
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spang99 View Post
As somebody that has both attended and wagered a plenty on MTN since back when it was Waterford Park, I'm extremely happy to hear that racing is set to resume. I do agree with the majority here though. For sure it will be a "glass half full" situation until the true simulcast show returns. The 3 faces, well, the 2 faces and Pete's voice, of MTN are special and irreplaceable. Simply put, It all just clicks and I'll look forward to seeing you all reuniting.
I was 8 the first time my parents took me along to Waterford Park. Within 25 min my fate was sealed. Forever.

Tx for the post, sir.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #32
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
It would be huge mistake if the Mark and Nancy show ended. Captive at home audiences are really pumping money thru ADW's these days. Did you see that handle on Saturday from Oaklawn? Plenty of time to brainstorm ideas to resume the show, whether it's on-site or from someone's basement or den.

RR
How did MVR go for you?? I'm sure your card remains popular with players. You have built a solid rep, in your own right. Hope this pandemic finds you well, Ron.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:10 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The Mark and Nancy show and similar shows at all tracks should GO ON AS NORMAL even if only for ADW bettors. It is part of the product. As long as the hosts have no concerns, and I am sure they are intelligent people, far better able to make that choice than an idiot in Albany.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #34
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Tx, and much respect. There has always been a very vocal faction at mnr that pushes relentlessly for a fluff show that praises every horse and human in sight, Vic.

For a show not hosted by an edgy, unpredictable, stone cold expert who pitches to serious handicappers.

And that relentless faction wants a more likeable host possessing no more knowledge than they do. A host who assuages their egos by falling a bit short of genuine expertise.
Pity. There is no shortage of "fluff-shows" out there...whereas there is a real shortage of legitimate handicapping shows which lend to the horseplaying experience the "seriousness" that it deserves. Contrary to popular belief...the "$2-bettor" is no longer the 'backbone' of this industry. And...the more "serious" bettor will not survive in the game for long if he mimics the care-free handicapping and betting antics portrayed by the majority of the track handicappers that we see.

It's mighty short-sighted indeed when a Mark Patterson loses out to a "more likable company-man".

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM   #35
porchy44

Mountaineer History

http://www.laurelhollowpark.net/track/programs.html

Interesting site some History and old programs from Waterford park Days.
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2020, 09:25 PM   #36
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
The Mark and Nancy show and similar shows at all tracks should GO ON AS NORMAL even if only for ADW bettors. It is part of the product. As long as the hosts have no concerns, and I am sure they are intelligent people, far better able to make that choice than an idiot in Albany.
tx, tom...nance and i have infected each other lots of times with colds..flu..sore throat..etc....it's by mutual agreement...if either of us is sick, but still wants to come to work...it's cool with no questions asked..and neither of us has ever so much as raised an eyebrow..
Old 05-05-2020, 09:28 PM   #37
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Pity. There is no shortage of "fluff-shows" out there...whereas there is a real shortage of legitimate handicapping shows which lend to the horseplaying experience the "seriousness" that it deserves. Contrary to popular belief...the "$2-bettor" is no longer the 'backbone' of this industry. And...the more "serious" bettor will not survive in the game for long if he mimics the care-free handicapping and betting antics portrayed by the majority of the track handicappers that we see.

It's mighty short-sighted indeed when a Mark Patterson loses out to a "more likable company-man".
gus, your post means so much..and makes me realize that, at least subconsciously, my goal has always been a show that meets the approval of master handicappers such as yourself..
Old 05-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #38
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44 View Post
http://www.laurelhollowpark.net/track/programs.html

Interesting site some History and old programs from Waterford park Days.
There is a guy named Mark Gonzalez who supplies the photos for that site. His cache of Waterford/Mountaineer memorabilia is both precious and unparalleled.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #39
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Albany? Mountaineer isn't in New York.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #40
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
How did MVR go for you?? I'm sure your card remains popular with players. You have built a solid rep, in your own right. Hope this pandemic finds you well, Ron.

All quiet at MVR since Mid-March. No idea when they'll re-open. Holding my own while betting a few times at home. My other side job at a local golf course also keeps me going. Rumors of a Summer Meet plus the Breeder's Cup at Keeneland this Fall are another reason for me not to sleep all day.

RR
Old 05-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #41
PA.race.fan

Mountaineer

Hey Mark

So will I be able to sit in the grass on far side of track and watch the horses run? Will I be able to watch morning workouts?

Look fwd to seeing you Nancy & Peter soon!
PA.race.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2020, 11:42 PM   #42
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
Hey Mark

So will I be able to sit in the grass on far side of track and watch the horses run? Will I be able to watch morning workouts?

Look fwd to seeing you Nancy & Peter soon!
Not sure, sir. I'll find out. And, tx. Long live the mountain.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:32 AM   #43
trifecta

Waterford Park was the first track I ever made a bet at as an adult. (I made my first actual bet at Thistledown when I was about 10.) My brother and I would drive up from Wheeling once a month just to play at Waterford. Even played golf on the little 9-hole golf course at the track, once while the races were taking place. We could hear the jockeys whistling at their horses.

Didn't Bill Hartack win his first race at Waterford?

The three of you do an excellent job there. Welcome back.
trifecta is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 AM   #44
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trifecta View Post
Waterford Park was the first track I ever made a bet at as an adult. (I made my first actual bet at Thistledown when I was about 10.) My brother and I would drive up from Wheeling once a month just to play at Waterford. Even played golf on the little 9-hole golf course at the track, once while the races were taking place. We could hear the jockeys whistling at their horses.

Didn't Bill Hartack win his first race at Waterford?

The three of you do an excellent job there. Welcome back.
Great to see you weigh in. Do you remember old Randal Park, right across the street from Tdn?? Or old Ascot Park (my dad would pick me up from my elementary school at lunchtime and head there..dead of winter, arctic cold, whiteout blizzards) ??

Do you remember when Wheeling Downs ran thoroughbreds during the winter?? Mom and dad used to bring home the form and challenge me that night to handicap that afternoon's races. I was 10.

Yes, Hartack got started here. And some old-timers STILL talk about then Waterford Park holding a "Willie Hartack" day (he hadn't yet "changed" his name to "Bill") and him nursing a chronic 5-furlong quitter to a 6-furlong win. In fact, I listed that feat at number 6 (or 7?) in a blog I did entitled "Mountaineer's 10 most significant moments."

You're now in California??

Last edited by mountainman; 05-07-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Albany? Mountaineer isn't in New York.
I was referencing the king of the idiot governors.
Most have no freaking clue what they are doing and most are total a***** in their rules during all of this.

Racing should be going on IN EVERY STATE RIGHT NOW.
PERIOD.