Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #31
chadk66

I haven't read this measure but I'm hearing from people I know in the industry that this bill affects horses too. As in it may end horse racing immediately if something isn't changed in it. That can't be the case is it? But many of these measures have unintended consequences
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
AlsoEligible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
I haven't read this measure but I'm hearing from people I know in the industry that this bill affects horses too. As in it may end horse racing immediately if something isn't changed in it. That can't be the case is it? But many of these measures have unintended consequences
No, the actual text that would be adopted into the state constitution specifically mentions greyhounds.

Quote:
New Section of Article X

Prohibition on racing of and wagering on greyhounds or other dogs.—The humane treatment of animals is a fundamental value of the people of the State of Florida. After December 31, 2020, a person authorized to conduct gaming or pari-mutuel operations may not race greyhounds or any member of the Canis Familiaris subspecies in connection with any wager for money or any other thing of value in this state, and persons in this state may not wager money or any other thing of value on the outcome of a live dog race occurring in this state. The failure to conduct greyhound racing or wagering on greyhound racing after December 31, 2018, does not constitute grounds to revoke or deny renewal of other related gaming licenses held by a person who is a licensed greyhound permitholder on January 1, 2018, and does not affect the eligibility of such permitholder, or such permitholder’s facility, to conduct other pari-mutuel activities authorized by general law. By general law, the legislature shall specify civil or criminal penalties for violations of this section and for activities that aid or abet violations of this section.

New Section of Article XII

Prohibition on racing or wagering on greyhounds or other dogs.—The amendment to Article X, which prohibits the racing of or wagering on greyhound and other dogs, and the creation of this section, shall take effect upon the approval of the electors.
There's nothing here that could be applied to horse racing.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2018, 03:58 PM   #33
chadk66

Good deal.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: