Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
lansdale

NBA Betting

Seems a little early in the season for this, but somebody pulled my coat on this game so thought I'd post. Taking the over in tonight's Cavs vs. Blazers. Line opened at 202, now ca. 206. Both of these teams have shooters and not much D.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansdale
Seems a little early in the season for this, but somebody pulled my coat on this game so thought I'd post. Taking the over in tonight's Cavs vs. Blazers. Line opened at 202, now ca. 206. Both of these teams have shooters and not much D.

Saw this line, and thought it was ripe too:

Charlotte Hornets v New Orleans Pelicans

New Orleans Pelicans -4
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

The over 212.5 in the Laker - Phoenix game looks good! the Lakers give up 118 points per game.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #4
horses4courses

Quote:
I gave up betting NBA over 20 years ago, and am not about to start again.

One thing I do recall, though, and that's about taking the worst of the number.
Seldom a good experience.

Something about weddings and funerals....

Best of luck, though
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Robert Fischer
clean money

Orlando +11
Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
I gave up betting NBA over 20 years ago, and am not about to start again.

One thing I do recall, though, and that's about taking the worst of the number.
Seldom a good experience.

Something about weddings and funerals....

Best of luck, though
you are so correct on betting bad lines.

i have a great story from years ago before they made the lines with computers, there was a line called the Outlaw Line that came out early in the morning the day before the real came out on basketball. the MGM hotel would book the next days college basketball games at 6:00 p.m. the night before the games. i used to study the lines and wait for what i thought was a mistake that the line maker made. one day i saw the Outlaw Line come out on Florida being an 8 point favorite against Miami. i made my own line as Florida 26. Miami had beaten Florida 3 weeks prior, but Florida had 3 of their starters out that day. i got to the MGM that day 3 hours before they opened their windows to make sure i was the first in line. by the time the windows opened there must have been 200 people in line and i was the first one! they only took $300 a bet and moved the number. so i bet Florida -8, they changed the line to -9, i bet again, then they changed it to -10, i bet it again, the next time they upped it to -12, i bet it again, then they jumped to -14, then -16 then -18, i stopped when they reached -20. i went to the Stardust Hotel the next day because they were the first to put up a college line the day of the game, sure enough they opened that game up at -26.

those were the good old day when you could catch them, today i think its impossible.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
you are so correct on betting bad lines.

i have a great story from years ago before they made the lines with computers, there was a line called the Outlaw Line that came out early in the morning the day before the real came out on basketball. the MGM hotel would book the next days college basketball games at 6:00 p.m. the night before the games. i used to study the lines and wait for what i thought was a mistake that the line maker made. one day i saw the Outlaw Line come out on Florida being an 8 point favorite against Miami. i made my own line as Florida 26. Miami had beaten Florida 3 weeks prior, but Florida had 3 of their starters out that day. i got to the MGM that day 3 hours before they opened their windows to make sure i was the first in line. by the time the windows opened there must have been 200 people in line and i was the first one! they only took $300 a bet and moved the number. so i bet Florida -8, they changed the line to -9, i bet again, then they changed it to -10, i bet it again, the next time they upped it to -12, i bet it again, then they jumped to -14, then -16 then -18, i stopped when they reached -20. i went to the Stardust Hotel the next day because they were the first to put up a college line the day of the game, sure enough they opened that game up at -26.

those were the good old day when you could catch them, today i think its impossible.
Good story, lambo

You're right.....computers and the internet have changed the business.
Mostly for the better, but it can make a person long for "back in the day".
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Weds the Clippers are at GS. Not sure what the line is going to be, but the Clippers stink right now, i'd lay the points. I won't lay 6 or 7 but if the spread is GS -4 or less, GS might be an ok pick in this spot.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Weds the Clippers are at GS. Not sure what the line is going to be, but the Clippers stink right now, i'd lay the points. I won't lay 6 or 7 but if the spread is GS -4 or less, GS might be an ok pick in this spot.
L.A. Clippers 3 1 0.750 0.5 3-1 1-1 2-1 1-0 3-1 W 1

If you said they were playing lousy (you didn't) and they were ripe to get beat that is another story. Last time I looked 3-1 equals 60-20 with two games in hand. The lousy playing clippers would sign up for this right now if they could play this type of "stinky" basketball all season long.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
lamboguy

Quote:
its really the same in horse racing today as well for the most part. the batch bettors that can see pools that we can't take the value out of the bets that we make except for real large handle days like triple crown races and breeders cup. the boss here proved in the breeders cup that you can win betting 5 horses to win in a race, try that on a wednesday afternoon at the Big A and you will go to the poor house.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
lansdale

LBJ AWOL

Quote:
Although this bet was off, the thing about this game that truly astonished me was Lebron's no-show - one of the three or four worst games I've ever seen him play. He was moving very slowly and never seemed to get more than six inches off the ground. Either he has a chronic injury, per the rumors during the summer, or he's involved in a a power struggle with either Irving, Blatt, or both. I guess in another couple of weeks, we'll have an answer.
lansdale is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
L.A. Clippers 3 1 0.750 0.5 3-1 1-1 2-1 1-0 3-1 W 1

If you said they were playing lousy (you didn't) and they were ripe to get beat that is another story. Last time I looked 3-1 equals 60-20 with two games in hand. The lousy playing clippers would sign up for this right now if they could play this type of "stinky" basketball all season long.
They're playing lousy for THEM. Chris Paul was interviewed the other night and let out a big sigh and said "we gotta get better" and the way he said it he knows they've been lousy. They have been grinding out wins and just getting there on talent, but i've seen 98% of all their games in the Griffin era and this team right now isn't nearly what they're going to need to be to be considered an elite team. The time is now to get against them, esp with their record indicating that nothing is really wrong.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Interesting strategy by Doc tonight refusing to call a timeout while the Clippers are being taken to the woodshed. He looks really pissed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
BetHorses!

Quote:

The sharps are on these sides at these prices tonight

Hawks +1.5

Wizards +3.5

Last edited by BetHorses!; 11-07-2014 at 04:03 PM.
BetHorses! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
1-0.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: