Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
letswastemoney

What is it like to live in Louisville? My notes.

I've lived here for about 3 weeks now.

It's different than California, that's for sure.

Besides looking forward to Churchill Downs, driving through the countryside, and seeing the horse farms in Lexington, I'm having trouble thinking of how to pass time (not that being a college instructor/professor offers much time).

It rains in the summer.

Maybe I'm biased, but Louisville drivers are a notch below Californians...yes even drivers in Los Angeles and San Francisco are more tolerable. No one waits until you finish crossing the crosswalk in Louisville either.

There is "4th Street Live" downtown, which is like a very small version of the Fremont Experience in North Las Vegas. The architecture of how it's designed is reminiscent of Las Vegas anyway.

I'm sure once Keeneland and the Breeders' Cup get closer, things will be more exciting. Lexington looks slightly more modern when driving around. It's probably a nicer place to live, if I had to guess.

My contract is for one semester, although when I applied I told them I'd stay the entire school year. A part of me thinks if a better deal was offered at another school, that I should I leave after completing my semester contract. That would be mean though.

Last edited by letswastemoney; 08-31-2015 at 02:40 PM.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Tall One
Scum Bum!

They have a good pizza scene. About all I can say nice.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney

Besides looking forward to Churchill Downs, driving through the countryside, and seeing the horse farms in Lexington, I'm having trouble thinking of how to pass time (not that being a college instructor/professor offers much time).

It rains in the summer.

Maybe I'm biased, but Louisville drivers are a notch below Californians...yes even drivers in Los Angeles and San Francisco are more tolerable. No one waits until you finish crossing the crosswalk in Louisville either.

There is "4th Street Live" downtown, which is like a very small version of the Fremont Experience in North Las Vegas. The architecture of how it's designed is reminiscent of Las Vegas anyway.

I'm sure once Keeneland and the Breeders' Cup get closer, things will be more exciting. Lexington looks slightly more modern when driving around. It's probably a nicer place to live, if I had to guess.

My contract is for one semester, although when I applied I told them I'd stay the entire school year. A part of me thinks if a better deal was offered at another school, that I should I leave after completing my semester contract. That would be mean though.
Of course it rains in KY; it's not a desert like most of California is.

I've driven in every state in this country, and the one thing that stands out about KY drivers is there complete lack of knowing how to use turn signals, but there are far worse states to drive in -- Massachusetts and Florida pop into mind immediately.

Fourth street live is a farce. If you want great food, go to lower Frankfort Ave. or Bardstown Road. For a city it's size, Louisville has a huge concentration of great restuarants. Maybe that's why Bobby Flay is planning on building one in the city soon.

The University of Louisville (my alma mater) has one of the most unappealing campuses in the country, unless you like astro turf sports fields and parking garages.

But the city does have arguably the best park system in the country. The major parks were designed by Olmstead, the same guy who did Central Park. Well worth visiting Cherokee, Iroquois, etc.

For something a little different, venture across the Ohio River to the Falls of the Ohio State Park. Contrary to what you said about rain, the Ohio River is about as low as it's been in quite a while. I was at the Falls last weekend, and you can walk waaaaay out onto the fossil beds. Very cool stuff.

Go to the Louisville Slugger Museum, the Muhammad Ali Center, the Frazier History Museum, ride on the Belle of Louisville steamboat, and for the rest o the week downtown on the river are authentic sailing replicas of the Nina and Pinta. I went on them last weekend too, it was fascinating to see what went into construction these in the same manner as they were 500+ years ago.

And if you want to kill a few hours relaxing, go to a Louisville Bats minor league game before the season ends this weekend. Team is not good, but according to some friends of mine who have been to every AAA ballpark in the country, Louisville's is the best. And it won't cost you $12 for a beer like it does at Dodger Stadium.

Sorry for the diatribe, just trying to give you some tips. BTW, I have been to California many times, and the drivers in LA are okay, but San Fran is intolerable.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Inner Dirt

Want part of California did you live in? I lived there most of my life, it isn't like
most states where the whole place looks and feels the same. In Southern California alone you have places that look like Tijuana Mexico (Riverside), the beauty of the mountains (Big Bear Lake) arid desert, dry, and scorching
hot in summer (Desert Hot Springs) The high desert where it hits 105+ in the summer yet freezes and snows in the winter enough to close the interstate (Victorville.) You have salt flats and volcanos (Amboy) Of course all the beach towns where rent is insane, etc,etc.

Ha,ha I sounded like I was writing a tourist review, I wanted to get out of there for decades.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
letswastemoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Want part of California did you live in? I lived there most of my life, it isn't like
most states where the whole place looks and feels the same. In Southern California alone you have places that look like Tijuana Mexico (Riverside), the beauty of the mountains (Big Bear Lake) arid desert, dry, and scorching
hot in summer (Desert Hot Springs) The high desert where it hits 105+ in the summer yet freezes and snows in the winter enough to close the interstate (Victorville.) You have salt flats and volcanos (Amboy) Of course all the beach towns where rent is insane, etc,etc.

Ha,ha I sounded like I was writing a tourist review, I wanted to get out of there for decades.
For most of my life, I lived in the San Fernando Valley.

Then I lived in Santa Barbara...which is perfect now that I reflect back on it. Sunny, but never too hot. Pretty girls. Not too far from L.A. if I needed a big city.

Then I moved north to Turlock and went to graduate school. For the past few years, I've lurked around there or near the Bay Area around Dublin/Pleasanton.

I drove to Kentucky a few weeks ago for this instructor job (school started on Aug. 17).

Yeah, the southeast side of California is brutal if you don't like sun. If I'm going to put up with that kind of weather, I might as well move to Las Vegas. At least, there are things to do over there.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Valuist

Quote:

It rains in the summer.

I have never lived in Kentucky but have been in Louisville numerous times. And after moving to northern California three weeks ago, I can assure you, Kentucky drivers are NOT worse than California drivers. You will never see more aggressive driving than in Cali; and its not all the drivers fault. The laws seem to encourage it. In Illinois, cops clock everywhere. Here, they NEVER clock drivers so nobody respects the speed limits. U turns legal in what seems like 95% of intersections? Motorcyclists can (legally) weave in and out of traffic on any road, including freeways?

Last edited by Valuist; 09-04-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I have never lived in Kentucky but have been in Louisville numerous times. And after moving to northern California three weeks ago, I can assure you, Kentucky drivers are NOT worse than California drivers. You will never see more aggressive driving than in Cali; and its not all the drivers fault. The laws seem to encourage it. In Illinois, cops clock everywhere. Here, they NEVER clock drivers so nobody respects the speed limits. U turns legal in what seems like 95% of intersections? Motorcyclists can (legally) weave in and out of traffic on any road, including freeways?
Seems most of the people in the big urban areas of Cali aren't born here...and where ever the hell they're from, it isn't a region of the world where courtesy is a recognized concept. And no, it is not Latin people--who are polite and courteous. Do the math.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Seems most of the people in the big urban areas of Cali aren't born here...and where ever the hell they're from, it isn't a region of the world where courtesy is a recognized concept. And no, it is not Latin people--who are polite and courteous. Do the math.
Agreed re: the people, but its more than lack of courtesy. They tend to drive faster, and follow closer. But like I said earlier, between all the U-turns that are allowed and ignoring the speed limits, it's really the Wild West.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Agreed re: the people, but its more than lack of courtesy. They tend to drive faster, and follow closer. But like I said earlier, between all the U-turns that are allowed and ignoring the speed limits, it's really the Wild West.
I'll take the Wild West over Canadian drivers any day. It's September in Palm Springs and the snowbirds are arriving. Driving 20mph below the posted limit, making left-right turns from far outside-inside lanes and coming to a complete stop in moving traffic to confirm directions.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #10
letswastemoney

Maybe I lived in CA so long, that I must have adapted and taken the best routes.

I'll have to move back at some point to be reminded of poor Los Angeles and Bay Area driving.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #11
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Maybe I lived in CA so long, that I must have adapted and taken the best routes.

I'll have to move back at some point to be reminded of poor Los Angeles and Bay Area driving.
LOL...Sorry LWM, just realized we sorta hijacked your Louisville thread with our California Dreamin'. Hey Bris and XB are based outta there somewhere arent they? That area must have something going for it, besides the Derby and good food, as sandpit stated. Enjoy the Bluegrass State!
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #12
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Hey Bris and XB are based outta there somewhere arent they? That area must have something going for it, besides the Derby and good food, as sandpit stated.
No. BRIS is owned by CDI, but was founded in Lexington, and is still located here.

Twin Spires--Lexington

Jockey Club--Lexington

DRF Mid-West offices--Lexington

And Sandpit nailed the description to a T. Bardstown Road is your friend..Impellizari's is awesome pizza.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

I lived in Lexington/Frankfort for a couple of years back in the mid 90s. Spent most of my free time at Keeneland, and what was left over on my motorcycle.

My car and motorcycle insurance rates went up significantly from when I lived in Alabama, so the drivers are probably not the best - but I thought the stone fences built down to the edge of the road had something to do with it.

The winters are rough - lots of clouds, and freezing sleet or cold, cold rain. Summers are no bargain with the heat and humidity. But spring is awesome, and fall at Keenland is the best. Like Tennessee, the topography and the culture change quite a bit going east-west across the state. Some nice lakes near Paducah, the Corvette museum in Bowling Green, the "big city" stuff in Louisville, the horse farms near Lexington, and a major trip back in time and down in IQ in the coal mining areas in the eastern part of the state. A drive through the mountains in October is recommended.

I laughed at your comment of Kentucky being different than California. What is more accurate, is that California is different than any place else....
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
I'll take the Wild West over Canadian drivers any day. It's September in Palm Springs and the snowbirds are arriving. Driving 20mph below the posted limit, making left-right turns from far outside-inside lanes and coming to a complete stop in moving traffic to confirm directions.
They don't come from Toronto. Here, you have to be an Indy driver to negotiate the never ending hell of traffic- by far, our worst problem.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Inner Dirt

Quote:
LOL...Sorry LWM, just realized we sorta hijacked your Louisville thread with our California Dreamin'. Hey Bris and XB are based outta there somewhere arent they? That area must have something going for it, besides the Derby and good food, as sandpit stated. Enjoy the Bluegrass State!
I am guilty with an excuse. I was in Louisville for 4 days out of my whole life I was in Southern California for 50 years. The thing I remember most about Louisville is how nice the track employees were and them telling me where the bad section of town was. My friend and I drove to that so-called bad section of town (It was 1999) to us it looked great compared to some of the bad sections of Southern California.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply