Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #121
JohnGalt1

I forgot to add the guy who doesn't talk much, because he's so busy writing down the odds for every horse at every flash of the tote board. He fills a sheet of paper for every race.

He's never had time to explain his method of who and how to bet his selection.

This thread reminds me of the old comic strip "They'll Do It Everytime."
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #122
Trotman
Veteran

Tellers in the union, they will finish the bet their taking then get up and go for their smoke break with a line up out the door. At the same time the self bet machines go on the fritz.
Trotman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #123
jamey1977

Ha Ha Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1
I forgot to add the guy who doesn't talk much, because he's so busy writing down the odds for every horse at every flash of the tote board. He fills a sheet of paper for every race.

He's never had time to explain his method of who and how to bet his selection.

This thread reminds me of the old comic strip "They'll Do It Everytime."
I tried that once. I guess he was trying to find so- called smart money. 1000 dollars to win. Flashing the odds board 3 places. From 5 to 1 down to 3 to 1 and then back up to 9 to 2. You might be able to get a winner. But horses don't care. I quit when the overlays kept coming in. Cruddy horses lose, great horses lose. They don't see the board flashes. LOL
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #124
Canadian
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
http://www.thatsamorestable.net/blog/?p=341

1. Snapping Guy — you know, that guy who stands near the rail and snaps when the horses round the turn for home. Snapping? Really? What does that accomplish? Just… just stop it, dude.

I swear to god I made horses win races by rolling up my program and pounding the table.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM   #125
Canadian
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
He forgot the "every race is fixed" guy. He screams after every a race " Boat Race" He actually tries to out guess the "fixers" when he bets. If you hang around him very long, he will make you a believer.

So true. That's the most common in my books, their the loudest too. I get a couple of guys that no matter how the race unfolds, their dictating that "this is what the drivers want", "he let the 4 get a hole", "They want that 20-1 shot in there". Of course as the race changes, as it does every single time, as does their set up story....... 4 or 5 times their story changes during the race. But in the end they're as confident as ever..... "see what did I tell ya".... Of course they're ripping up their tickets.
Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #126
only11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoVolente
The Monmouth park mutual clerks are a trip. Last week made a hit and went to the window to collect with my 12 year old daughter tagging along. I got paid from the clerk and gave my daughter 20 bucks only to hear him saying that I shouldn't be doing that at the window and that I was breaking the law!
he may have said that because you didnt tip...
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 AM   #127
only11
Veteran

what about the 10% guy who wants to cash your ticket when you make a huge score!!!
I know alot of them make a living cashing tickets for others........
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #128
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
He forgot the "every race is fixed" guy. He screams after every a race " Boat Race"
A variation of this is the "they stiffed the favorite" characters. These are the guys that whenever a favorite loses, which they do two times out of three, run around and in loud accusing voices inform everyone that the crooks had just robbed them. "Did you see the way they stiffed that horse", "He could have won the race for fun, but they werent even trying". "That bleepin jockey never even asked him to run a step", and so on, ad nauseum. When an odds on favorite loses, the shrieks from these types usually rise several levels on the decibel scale.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #129
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOO
This usually happens when they try to switch their program to the other hand to straighten the horse out in the stretch.
Classic..
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #130
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I have a friend who never fails to crack me up whenever we happen to be in an OTB (which is not very often). He has a nasty habit of cheering LOUDLY for whatever horse looks like the winner down the stretch, even though he hasn't bet one penny on the race...I find it hilarious...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #131
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I have a friend who never fails to crack me up whenever we happen to be in an OTB (which is not very often). He has a nasty habit of cheering LOUDLY for whatever horse looks like the winner down the stretch, even though he hasn't bet one penny on the race...I find it hilarious...
Do I know you? I'm the guy that can sit at the races all day and never bet if I don't see anything worth playing, but will stand up and root with all my might for a certain winner the moment I hear people around me screaming for other horses.

When the outcome looks pretty cut and dried at the eighth pole, I'll even give it the old "come on with the three for second, run up into third six, come on now, all I need is an eight or ten for the super... BINGO!!!!...." just to aggravate the guys around me... at which point I head off to a window to ask for a printout of the scratches from about five tracks....

Sometimes you have to invent fun.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply