Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
summersquall

The Galloping Gale from Kansas

Legendary Chicago Bear Gale Sayers has died. One class act. RIP Mr Sayers.

~ Lily Tomlin
summersquall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Last edited by JustRalph; 09-23-2020 at 12:39 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

i loved this guy

greatest cut back in history
Old 09-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
Ocala Mike

Those of us of a certain age will never forget the depiction of his friendship with Brian Piccolo in the guy-cry movie, ''Brian's Song.'' RIP.

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 09-23-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

Might have been the best running-back ever had injury not cut his time short. Always felt him and OJ had moves far better than all others. Making an open field tackle on either was nearly impossible.
Rest in Peace...tough guy!!
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #6
Tor Ekman

Sayers is someone I wish had had the benefit of the advances in surgical/reconstructive procedures that came too late for him . . . Joe Willie Namath and Bobby Orr are two others

RIP Mr. Sayers
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
sammy the sage

Met Gale Sayers, Johnny Rodgers and Carl Eller at a celebrity fund raising poker tournament in Reno ....

Mr. Sayers actually put it together....terrific person....

Johnny was the ham...showing off his GIANT Heisman ring...

and THE purple people eater.....well he played a mean game of poker...very good...

I finished 33rd out of 160 people....best starting hand I ever got was a pair of 7's....Carl was still playing when I exited...

Last edited by sammy the sage; 09-24-2020 at 07:17 AM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
Vinnie

When I was probably in the sixth or seventh grade I was at the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium with my Dad and my brothers. I spotted Gale Sayers who was the Athletic Director for the Univ. of Southern Illinois at the time. I presented my program and asked for an autograph which he openly and generously obliged. He was Awesome!!! :>))

Another quick anecdote. I had a cousin named Denny who unfortunately took ill many years past who lived in Edmond, OK. He was a riot and a phenomenal insurance salesman who could pretty much sell an eskimo ice cubes God rest his soul!! Ha! Hah!! Anyway, when he was a kid in the sixth or seventh grade he played in a children's football league in Omaha called the Robert's Dairy football league with both Gale and Roger Sayers as his teammates. He said (and I just did a little research) that Roger was actually faster than Gale. Roger was one of the fastest guys in the world as he got a little older. Anyway, he (my cousin) said that the biggest argument in the huddle between the two brothers was "Who's touchdown it was on the next carry"! He stated that they always had this argument because literally every time either one of them touched the ball they were so fast and elusive that they would essentially take it to the house every time. Isn't that something. R.I.P. Mr. Gale Sayers. Truly one of the all-time greats!! :>))

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
When I was probably in the sixth or seventh grade I was at the College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium with my Dad and my brothers. I spotted Gale Sayers who was the Athletic Director for the Univ. of Southern Illinois at the time. I presented my program and asked for an autograph which he openly and generously obliged. He was Awesome!!! :>))

Another quick anecdote. I had a cousin named Denny who unfortunately took ill many years past who lived in Edmond, OK. He was a riot and a phenomenal insurance salesman who could pretty much sell an eskimo ice cubes God rest his soul!! Ha! Hah!! Anyway, when he was a kid in the sixth or seventh grade he played in a children's football league in Omaha called the Robert's Dairy football league with both Gale and Roger Sayers as his teammates. He said (and I just did a little research) that Roger was actually faster than Gale. Roger was one of the fastest guys in the world as he got a little older. Anyway, he (my cousin) said that the biggest argument in the huddle between the two brothers was "Who's touchdown it was on the next carry"! He stated that they always had this argument because literally every time either one of them touched the ball they were so fast and elusive that they would essentially take it to the house every time. Isn't that something. R.I.P. Mr. Gale Sayers. Truly one of the all-time greats!! :>))
This is why this board is pretty cool.......
Old 09-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #10
ElKabong

Was my favorite halfback as a kid in grade school. Unbelievable ability to cut and change direction without losing much speed
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post

I finished 33rd out of 160 people....best starting hand I ever got was a pair of 7's....Carl was still playing when I exited...
at times the poker can be more brutal than the pigskin!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: