Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #16
redshift1

I'm willing to give him a pass. I've never seen him whip a horse excessively under any circumstances and we all know every great rider makes the occasional mistake.
redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #17
only11
Veteran

He rides just like Pat"i wait all"Day,Day lost thoudands photos due to his riding style..
TLG... JULIEN RIDING THE BEST @ SPA...HMMMM I GUESS CASTELLANO AND VELASQUEZ DONT COUNT?
only11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #18
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by only11
He rides just like Pat"i wait all"Day,Day lost thoudands photos due to his riding style..
TLG... JULIEN RIDING THE BEST @ SPA...HMMMM I GUESS CASTELLANO AND VELASQUEZ DONT COUNT?
Apparently your brain doesn't work much no matter what time. As has been mentioned time and time again is so very true at the meet at Saratoga more than anywhere, riders success and "winning percentage" is very much about their mounts and their opportunity more than anything at this meet. Just because Velazquez and Castellano have a flashy winning percentage doesn't mean much because Velazquez has won on numerous even money shot 2YOs for Pletcher. So while Leparoux might not be winning as much as them, he me theoretically be riding better because he may be getting better finishes out of horses who don't figure as much into a race than the mounts of Velazquez and Castellano because he's not riding horses that are as good or as live as their mounts.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #19
JBmadera

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
No, I am saying that everything, especially in racing, is not as it appears...and thus just because it may look like less than full effort is being given does not make it the case. In this case, he was trying, but not necessarily in the way that appears most obvious. The entire picture presents at least this possibility...and actually the likelihood. He handled this horse carefully, to say the least, the entire way around. Has anybody actually taken the time to look at her pps? She aint exactly Kelso.
I have just implemented a policy here which I use frequently on my job, before I press send on an email (or post), I go walk outside, take a few laps around the pool, then come back in and re-read what I have written. If I am being critical of someones thoughts or opinions I delete the email (or post).

So on that note, congrats tlg on your selection of Glacier Bay yesterday
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Andy...the question is not whether or not she is like Kelso.

The question is...would she have won if she wasn't handled this "carefully"?

My guess is she would have finished well up the track if ridden in an apparently more aggressive manner.

Look, maybe I am wrong, but every horse isn't most effective when ridden in exactly the same manner. For example, there are plenty of horses that don't like the whip, and in fact these horses will constantly underperform until this is recognized ( assuming it is ever realized ). Does that mean the jockey was at fault when he hand rode the horse only to lose a photo?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #21
Stillriledup
Veteran

I'm guessing he'll get a 3 day suspension for not riding his mount out to the line. I read this topic before i saw the race, so i didnt know what to expect when i pulled up this tape, interesting to say the least.

Sometime horses totally stop when hit with the whip, this filly was running her hiney off all the way, Lep smacked her once hard with the stick and then went to the hand ride, maybe he felt that she resented the whip and started to slow down? Maybe if he never hit her at all she would have won easily? In my opinion she was running as hard as she could and then when she got hit, she might have just got mad and chucked it.

At any rate, i think she wins if she's beaten to a pulp in the final yards, but jocks like this are so great they can make a horse travel at a very high rate of speed while under a long hold. This filly was smoking and running her eyeballs out all the way. Normally i'm very critical of jocks not riding out to the line, but in this case, i think this filly tried hard all the way and just got nailed, what can you do except hope you had a place bet.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
classhandicapper

When I saw that race live, I just shook my head in disbelief.

IMO there are really only two possibilities.

Either he thought he had the race won and made a severe error in judgment or something is amiss with that horse. If it's the latter, perhaps he felt something he didn't like and thought going all out would put the horse and him at risk.

Some horses may not like the whip, but I never heard of a horse that doesn't like to be urged. He didn't even try hard.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
the little guy

I am amazed that nobody has even commented on that horse's unusual running style.

Honestly, seeing what you want to see, as opposed to being open to a number of possibilities, can't possibly serve you well.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #24
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
I am amazed that nobody has even commented on that horse's unusual running style.

Honestly, seeing what you want to see, as opposed to being open to a number of possibilities, can't possibly serve you well.
What was unusual about her running style? She pressed the pace or led in her races overseas in sprints, and she contested the pace at CD in June in a turf sprint. So she went to the lead yesterday...what's unusual about that?

Bottom line imo is that Leparoux relaxed into an easy hand ride about 50yds out while flagging her. Then he saw Ramon and began scrubbing with both hands in the last few strides. Got nailed. I am not raising any questions about how he rode her until the last 50yds or so. Everything was great up until then. Just my opinion.

Speaking of Leparoux...anyone think his pick-up mount in the 1st has a board shot at odds? Fourth Chapter(#3) can really close well on her day, and has had pedestrian paces in her last two....ofcourse she is only 3-35 lifetime.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 08-19-2010 at 11:43 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
What was unusual about her running style? She pressed the pace or led in her races overseas in sprints, and she contested the pace at CD in June in a turf sprint. So she went to the lead yesterday...what's unusual about that?

Bottom line imo is that Leparoux relaxed into an easy hand ride about 50yds out while flagging her. Then he saw Ramon and began scrubbing with both hands in the last few strides. Got nailed. I am not raising any questions about how he rode her until the last 50yds or so. Everything was great up until then. Just my opinion.
I think he means the horses action. She has a pretty awkward way of moving. Head is real low and short, choppy strides.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
I think he means the horses action. She has a pretty awkward way of moving. Head is real low and short, choppy strides.
In the future I woud appreciate a more European description of her action, such as "she has a rather convoluted way of going" or something like that

My mistake; guess I misunderstood what TLG meant by 'running style'.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #27
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour

Speaking of Leparoux...anyone think his pick-up mount in the 1st has a board shot at odds? Fourth Chapter(#3) can really close well on her day, and has had pedestrian paces in her last two....ofcourse she is only 3-35 lifetime.
If he inner turf is playing like it did yesterday I think it's going to be tough for anyone to make up any ground in that race.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Rail at 18ft on the inner really helps speed also.

Whoa...twilight zone...this thread is gettin freaky.
TLG just picked Fourth Chapter in the 1st (with you know who up). He really does like Leparoux! Caution though, he is one jock I cannot get right with, so hopefully I am not dooming you TLG!

More twilight...TLG picked my Lukas horse in the 2nd as well.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 08-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #29
thaskalos

Quote:
My guess is she would have finished well up the track if ridden in an apparently more aggressive manner.

Look, maybe I am wrong, but every horse isn't most effective when ridden in exactly the same manner. For example, there are plenty of horses that don't like the whip, and in fact these horses will constantly underperform until this is recognized ( assuming it is ever realized ). Does that mean the jockey was at fault when he hand rode the horse only to lose a photo?
I may be wrong too...but when I see a jockey nearing the finish line in contending position...and his hands are not vigorously moving forward on the horse...then I start harboring dark suspicions.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:

What's so unusual about her running style that you can't urge a horse rigorously throughout the last 3/16ths of a mile?

He was riding and urging the horse mid stretch. He tapped her a few times and looked like he had the race won. Then he eased up just a little bit and got beat.

To me, he either blew it or knows something is amiss with this horse.

I think you are looking for something that does not exist. Sometimes people just make mistakes.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-19-2010 at 03:09 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply