Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

One excuse fits all

the rutabaga and his 9/11.

Report of NSA Spying Prompts Call for Probe

By Jennifer Loven / Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A key Republican committee chairman put the Bush administration on notice Friday that his panel would hold hearings into a report that the National Security Agency eavesdropped without warrants on people inside the United States.

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he would make oversight hearings by his panel next year "a very, very high priority."

"There is no doubt that this is inappropriate," said Specter, a Pennsylvania Republican and chairman of the Judiciary Committee.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

To the Demos:

Just win Baby! If you all put up Hillary in "08 and lose, I will be laughing hard!
History since FDR says it is the Demos' turn unless you blow it! Don't expect any impeachment with majority Rep.
To quote Bush "I got political capital and I'm going top spend it".
You all better nominate somebody who does not consider prostitution and gambling terrorism or you lose again!LOL!
Old 12-17-2005, 04:18 PM   #3
46zilzal
velocitician

I seriously doubt that Mrs. Clinton could win
Old 12-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This "secret" was known not only to many in cngress, but also the secret court that handles terroism type things. And it was only used something like 36 times ( about three dozen).

Under the old rules, if we intercepted a call from Afganistan and the callers asked someone in the US "What is the target and when will you hit it?"
we would oly be able to listen to the quesiton, not the reply.

THAT is the crime, here.
Everyone bitched that we were unprepared for 9-11. Now we are getting GOOD intelligence and you bitch about it.
We also get good info from "torure." Piss Ant #2, John n's definition of torture would outlaw marine basic training.

Whatever iitakes......whatever it takes.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
lsbets

To all those who were outraged by the "outing" of the not quite undercover Mrs. Wilson - where is the outrage over the leak of this information and the leak of the CIA prisons overseas? Both are highly classified and have a lot more to do with national security than Mrs. Wilson.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
46zilzal
velocitician

like a rolling stone

an article there hits it on the head:"we now live in a time where dissent must be marginalized, ignored, punished and, most importantly, seen as something that gives aid and comfort to America's enemies."

can a new McCarthy be far benind??
Old 12-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
lsbets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
an article there hits it on the head:"we now live in a time where dissent must be marginalized, ignored, punished and, most importantly, seen as something that gives aid and comfort to America's enemies."

can a new McCarthy be far benind??
Don't worry, you don't live here.

Seriously - I'm assuming you are referring to the questions I asked about selective outrage regarding the leaking of classified information (If not, my apologies, but the rest of what I have to say still applies). Can you show me where I or anyone else who replied in this thread did any of the things that you say lead to McCartyism. Isn't that charge getting old? Isn't that just the narrow minded left's way of trying to shield themselves from justified criticism when they say and do ridiculous things? Why should the left be able to say and do whatever they want without being criticized? You like to proclaim your openmidnedness, but when folks make legitimate counterpoints to points that you make, you cry "McCarthyism". Its getting old. Why are the folks on the left so afraid of a battle of ideas that any time it seems there might be one they yell "McCarhyism" to try and end the debate before it begins?
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #8
toetoe
Veteran

The key question to me: Were they American citizens? It seems aliens would not be immune from eavesdropping.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

lsbets.....GREAT POINT!

This is showing the TRUE colors of the 4 Horsemen......political idiots who have no real credibility.

Sec......where is your outrage over this?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

pointing out something is not outrage
Old 12-18-2005, 12:45 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No, but Sec was outraged that someone breeched national secruity by outing the CIA cleaning lady, so he should be outraged that other, more important national information was outed for liberal gain.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:53 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

This so called "spying" uncovered a plot to blow up a shopping mall where my wife worked.............. needless to say........ I don't have a problem with it........you guys can bitch all you want.........about it..........but it saved some lives and that is what counts...........
Old 12-18-2005, 07:18 AM   #13
hcap

1984+21

http://ezraklein.typepad.com/blog/2005/12/fisa.html

"On the wiretapping, I want to be crystal clear on one issue: the issue here isn't the espionage, it's the secrecy. Of course law enforcement agencies will need to gather intelligence on domestic elements. They do it to drug dealers, mob bosses, militia men, and gang lords. It's neither new nor controversial. And of course these activities will be turned on potential terrorist groups, and even ratcheted up post-9/11. And of course timeliness is an issue and the President will need to authorize wiretaps before a judge can be summoned to rule on the case.

But you know what? We had procedures for that.

Everything Bush is doing is legal, but nothing in the way he's doing it is. When you need a wiretap, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act allows you to apply for one. When you need it yesterday, FISA allows you to place the tap immediately and retroactively clear it with a judge 72 hours later. The law strikes a balance between broad executive powers and substantive oversight -- the president has full authority to assault the evildoers, but cannot deploy the law on behalf of his own political interests. It's a check on totalitarianism. What Bush has done is unilaterally decide the oversight unnecessary. Given the shape and safeguards of FISA, there was no operational need to evade it. It was an exclusively ideological decision in service of unlimited executive powers, and it's chilling."

Where are the real conservatives now that we need them??
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
hcap

Time for the repugs to investigate. The latest on domestic spying should motivate those concerned about the RISE OF KING GEORGE

"In an interview last week, Rep. Thomas M. Davis III (R-Va.), chairman of the House Government Reform Committee, said "it's a fair comment" that the GOP-controlled Congress has done insufficient oversight and "ought to be" doing more.

"Republican Congresses tend to overinvestigate Democratic administrations and underinvestigate their own," said Davis, who added that he has tried to pick up some of the slack with his committee. "I get concerned we lose our separation of powers when one party controls both branches."

Democrats on the committee said the panel issued 1,052 subpoenas to probe alleged misconduct by the Clinton administration and the Democratic Party between 1997 and 2002, at a cost of more than $35 million. By contrast, the committee under Davis has issued three subpoenas to the Bush administration, two to the Energy Department over nuclear waste disposal at Yucca Mountain, and one last week to the Defense Department over Katrina documents.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 AM   #15
ljb
Veteran

And to think that just a couple of weeks ago there were postings by at least two here complaining about printers having yellow dots for tracking purposes. This is what you folks voted for learn to live with it. I am tempted to say something against the current administration but will remain silent, don't know who may be watching here.
Hang on folks, the SSS is just beggining to show their power.
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply