Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-12-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

THE EIGHTH POLE: The life and times of a 1970s New York horseplayer

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 10:29 AM   #2
Inner Dirt

California was so behind, we didn't have OTBs in SoCal till the mid 80's, and until well into the 80's the exotic wagering menu was very limited. With OTBs

and exotics the East coast was a dozen years ahead+. I do think Cali did invent the pick six if I remember correctly.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #3
iwearpurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
California was so behind, we didn't have OTBs in SoCal till the mid 80's, and until well into the 80's the exotic wagering menu was very limited. With OTBs

and exotics the East coast was a dozen years ahead+. I do think Cali did invent the pick six if I remember correctly.
I think that the P6 started at Caliente in Mexico, but California was the first in the US to get on board.
iwearpurple is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 12:19 PM   #4
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearpurple View Post
I think that the P6 started at Caliente in Mexico, but California was the first in the US to get on board.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 12:35 PM   #5
ScottJ

Still laughing about the Wantagh (Nassau) OTB story, location is now an Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza restaurant.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwearpurple View Post

It was called the 5-10 for being on races 5 through 10.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:18 PM   #7
Nitro

I have some fond memories of the characters and betting experiences from the early 70’s at the OTB on 14th Street in NYC just east of 6th Ave. My play of the day was always the 9th race Triple. Back then the value of the return on that bet very often exceeded what Supers are paying these days. Then again we also had full fields to deal with on a daily basis in that race.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2023, 05:38 PM   #8
Cutter14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Still laughing about the Wantagh (Nassau) OTB story, location is now an Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza restaurant.
Scott back in the day I practically lived at the Wantagh OTB-What Story are you talking about?--I still live about 5 minutes from there-I was young back then but I was a regular--that place had quite a few characters--brings back a lot of memories
Cutter14 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2023, 05:50 PM   #9
Gerard02

I hung out at so many OTB’s during my youth. I first visited one as young as 15. My mom taught me how to play, much to the disdain of my father, who despised gambling. Mom would watch Racing at Aqueduct every day on Channel 9, rooting for her Daily Double and Triple. I remember standing around all day at a pre planned spot with those little counters. They didn’t have numbers, just letters. You would hear the announcer at the OTB say the races was closed and we’d all wait. Then, “Ladies and Gentlemen, the 8th Race at Aqueduct is over. Unofficially, the letters are A-C-B. Please hold all tickets until the race is official. We would all wait for the office call if we won to rush the windows. If we lost, you could hear the gasps, moans and curses. Tickets were torn and thrown angrily to the floor. Years later, we would be treated to a full race call. “Ladies and Gentlemen, here with the call of todays 6th race from Belmont is Marshal Cassidy…
Ahhhh, the degenerates and scum of the earth were my kind of people. I learned a lot about horse racing from some of those guys and gals. The smell of cigars and booze, from those who sneaked them inside, were a delight. Back then, there was an OTB everywhere. I could always place a bet. Those days are long gone and my days are spent in front of the TV or computer watching the simulcasts from different tracks. My days at the track are even limited. Every weekend, I’d take the Command bus to Aqueduct or Belmont. Sometimes, the train. When I got my first car, I’d go upstate and visit Saratoga. I miss those days. Racing was such a fun things to do. I knew all of the jockeys, trainers and horses. Stats were my passion. I lost notebooks. Now, it’s all computers. I can’t remember anyone, anymore. Last week, I went to Belmont and had a small conversation with Javier Castellano, and didn’t even know it was him!
Gerard02 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2023, 05:57 PM   #10
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard02 View Post
I hung out at so many OTB’s during my youth. I first visited one as young as 15. My mom taught me how to play, much to the disdain of my father, who despised gambling. Mom would watch Racing at Aqueduct every day on Channel 9, rooting for her Daily Double and Triple. I remember standing around all day at a pre planned spot with those little counters. They didn’t have numbers, just letters. You would hear the announcer at the OTB say the races was closed and we’d all wait. Then, “Ladies and Gentlemen, the 8th Race at Aqueduct is over. Unofficially, the letters are A-C-B. Please hold all tickets until the race is official. We would all wait for the office call if we won to rush the windows. If we lost, you could hear the gasps, moans and curses. Tickets were torn and thrown angrily to the floor. Years later, we would be treated to a full race call. “Ladies and Gentlemen, here with the call of todays 6th race from Belmont is Marshal Cassidy…
Ahhhh, the degenerates and scum of the earth were my kind of people. I learned a lot about horse racing from some of those guys and gals. The smell of cigars and booze, from those who sneaked them inside, were a delight. Back then, there was an OTB everywhere. I could always place a bet. Those days are long gone and my days are spent in front of the TV or computer watching the simulcasts from different tracks. My days at the track are even limited. Every weekend, I’d take the Command bus to Aqueduct or Belmont. Sometimes, the train. When I got my first car, I’d go upstate and visit Saratoga. I miss those days. Racing was such a fun things to do. I knew all of the jockeys, trainers and horses. Stats were my passion. I lost notebooks. Now, it’s all computers. I can’t remember anyone, anymore. Last week, I went to Belmont and had a small conversation with Javier Castellano, and didn’t even know it was him!
Good times, wasn't it? I remember those old guys at the OTBs, they liked to tell everyone they bet on F-U. lol Why did OTB use letters anyway? My stepdad was a manager at OTB and I don't even know why they did that. U was a coupled entry for those who don't know.

Last edited by MJC922; 05-15-2023 at 05:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #11
Prytanis

First time at an OTB was April of 74.
Grand Central Station.one small tv on the left
Enough room for maybe five people

Btw

DD in the first and second race only!
Old 05-15-2023, 06:59 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
First time at an OTB was April of 74.
Grand Central Station.one small tv on the left
Enough room for maybe five people

Btw

DD in the first and second race only!
Right, but the betting windows were around the corner in the main room. The little TV in what was almost a cage was something.

There was also one in the Port Authority sort of buried in the back.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
Prytanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Right, but the betting windows were around the corner in the main room. The little TV in what was almost a cage was something.

There was also one in the Port Authority sort of buried in the back.
I don’t remember the one at PA. Was it towards 9th ave?
Old 05-15-2023, 07:14 PM   #14
Prytanis

One more
WABC would give the order of finish of the races at 15 and 45 min every hour
Old 05-15-2023, 10:20 PM   #15
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytanis View Post
I don’t remember the one at PA. Was it towards 9th ave?
No, very close to 8th.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply