Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Lessons from a pro

Our track hired a professional gambler this season, F.R. who puts out a daily (very good one too) tip sheet under the moniker of The Professor.

An open minded very knowledgeable fellow, who, follows a philosophy of LATERAL THINKING (de Bono), and, as such, looks where others don't. He uses HTR software so we have a good time comparing out comes. We are often very close.

He believes, like I do, that so much CAN and OFTEN DOES happen between the gate and the wire, that one has to cover the various possibilities. He doesn't wager vertically that often beyond exactas because "When it comes to the horses underneath, the number of possibilities, particularly in a super, become so outrageous and often illogical, that covering those bets takes a hefty bank roll and a bit of luck." He does delve into the occasional trifecta and the exacta is often a back up for him.

He is trying to get me interested in his specialty, the horizontal bet, particularly the pick 4. Strangely, he finds, that it is easier to find the winners in all legs than entering the REQUIRED large number of horses underneath when wagering vertically. Hence, he substantiates my philosophy, to consider a substantial number of horses to cover the under side of the trifecta. "You will never get the big ones unless you include the often illogical horses underneath."

His base Pick 4 bet goes like this. A is his first choice and B are his secondary choices.

The tickets are listed horizontally in this chart and the horses numbers in each position are listed vertically. Total cost $114.00

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pick4.JPG (30.3 KB, 847 views)
Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal
Our track hired a professional gambler this season, F.R. who puts out a daily (very good one too) tip sheet under the moniker of The Professor.

An open minded very knowledgeable fellow, who, follows a philosophy of LATERAL THINKING (de Bono), and, as such, looks where others don't. He uses HTR software so we have a good time comparing out comes. We are often very close.

He believes, like I do, that so much CAN and OFTEN DOES happen between the gate and the wire, that one has to cover the various possibilities. He doesn't wager vertically that often beyond exactas because "When it comes to the horses underneath, the number of possibilities, particularly in a super, become so outrageous and often illogical, that covering those bets takes a hefty bank roll and a bit of luck." He does delve into the occasional trifecta and the exacta is often a back up for him.

He is trying to get me interested in his specialty, the horizontal bet, particularly the pick 4. Strangely, he finds, that it is easier to find the winners in all legs than entering the REQUIRED large number of horses underneath when wagering vertically. Hence, he substantiates my philosophy, to consider a substantial number of horses to cover the under side of the trifecta. "You will never get the big ones unless you include the often illogical horses underneath."

His base Pick 4 bet goes like this. A is his first choice and B are his secondary choices.

The tickets are listed horizontally in this chart and the horses numbers in each position are listed vertically. Total cost $114.00
Why does the Pick 4 have 5 legs?
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I can already tell this is going to be a thread to follow. Can't wait.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
InsideThePylons-MW

Hilarious stuff zil.

I guess every race has the exact same preference aspect......1 best horse over 3 other horses and all equal in their value range.

I know I come across 4 race sequences that fit this profile about once every decade or two.

If that's his specialty and this is his professional method.......run away as fast as you can.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Greyfox

Quote:

He is trying to get me interested in his specialty, the horizontal bet, particularly the pick 4. Strangely, he finds, that it is easier to find the winners in all legs than entering the REQUIRED large number of horses underneath when wagering vertically.
I agree with line of thinking and but don't find it strange that it's easier to pick winners than the combinations running under them. I like the Pick 3.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
I agree with line of thinking and but don't find it strange that it's easier to pick winners than the combinations running under them. I like the Pick 3.
Me too Fox, for the same reason. The title of this thread sounds like some mail order system from the old days.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
Why does the Pick 4 have 5 legs?
Used to be because of the weak exchange rate.
It took 5 Canadian races to make 4 American races.

Last edited by speed; 09-04-2010 at 01:16 PM.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

I disagree with this. I think its easier to get some slug to clunk up for 4th to complete the super than it is to pick 4 winners in a row....esp in 10+ horse fields.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
After becoming somewhat enchanted by supers and tris a couple of years ago, I too have realized that, for me at least, the horizontal exotic is much better than the vertical one. It just seems much, much easier to select the winner and second horse than the 3rd and 4th place ones. That 45-1 shot that has lost by double digit lengths in its last five races just seems to jump up and kill your ticket by landing in the lower rungs too often. At one time was an active pick 3 player, but drifted away from it, a mistake. Back to the rolling triples, with an occasional pick 4.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed
Luv it.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
After becoming somewhat enchanted by supers and tris a couple of years ago, I too have realized that, for me at least, the horizontal exotic is much better than the vertical one. It just seems much, much easier to select the winner and second horse than the 3rd and 4th place ones. That 45-1 shot that has lost by double digit lengths in its last five races just seems to jump up and kill your ticket by landing in the lower rungs too often. At one time was an active pick 3 player, but drifted away from it, a mistake. Back to the rolling triples, with an occasional pick 4.
My reasoning is ... jockeys have to make a living. They are on a lot of horses that they know can't possibly win, but if they ask them for an effort at the right time (late in the race), they know could possibly get third or fourth. If they a run a couple of third or fourth places each day, they still make a living.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #12
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed
Careful, because it is his thread, Zilly may respond with one of his murky political statements.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #13
speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Careful, because it is his thread, Zilly may respond with one of his murky political statements.
Come on,
This is good material.
I just hope HBO is reading.
speed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Exotic1

Which way is up?

Quote:

An open minded very knowledgeable fellow, who, follows a philosophy of LATERAL THINKING (de Bono), and, as such, looks where others don't.....
Would a Lateral Thinker be considered a Horizontal Thinker or a Vertical Thinker?
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
beertapper

Quote:

interesting..saw the sheet advertised when i was at hastings, but didn't think much of it... will check it out next time.

tickets look like crist et al. method..

Last edited by beertapper; 09-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply