Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-25-2020, 06:01 PM   #1
BarchCapper

Former NYRA Spanish-language announcer alleges salary discrimination

From the NY Post:

For six years, Luis Grandison worked as the first full-time Spanish-language horse-racing announcer at three of the state’s racetracks — including tony Belmont Park — and earned just $60,000 a year when he was sacked in June, the court papers say.

In contrast, white English-language announcer Tom Durkin earned $440,000 before retiring in 2014 and his successor Larry Collmus was paid more than $200,000 when he left the industry in 2020, the lawsuit charges.

Full article:

https://nypost.com/2020/08/25/horse-...r-latino-bias/

I do know that at one point there was a lot of discussion about what the NYRA announcer made in the wake of Larry Collmus parting ways with the organization.

The article goes on to say that John Imbriale also makes over $200K. (I'm fairly sure Imbriale has had a whole HOST of duties at NYRA.)

And now we wait for Paul Harvey to step in.

I did love the "tony Belmont Park" line, especially when most would consider Saratoga the "tony"/"toney" racetrack.

Then again, it IS the Post. And it's no longer the Kerrisons and Piesens handling the racing coverage.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Oh, you mean Collmus WAS NOT MAKING $500k-$700k like someone was trying to tell me on here not too long ago?

Who was that who was trying to pass that poppycock along as fact?

I hope they read this...
Old 08-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
dilanesp

This looks a lot like Marianne Stanley v. University of Southern California to me.

The two jobs are different. All the Spanish language guy does is call the races on a TV feed, for a fairly small number of fans. The NYRA English language track announcer, in contrast, calls for far larger audiences plus makes on track announcements and represents the organization on network TV telecasts from Saratoga. Of course he is paid more.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I’ve never been happier for Tom Durkin........
Old 08-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #5
wisconsin

I am just going to go out on a limb and assume Grandison's audience was less than 1/10th that of the others, and was not on the house feed piped worldwide.