Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
RunForTheRoses

Kente Cloth

https://thegrio.com/2020/06/08/democ...-george-floyd/

RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Didn't Biden already say that back in 1994?
Old 06-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Old 06-08-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Uh, Booker was there. You can see him front and center coming down the stairs at the start of this video..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/polit...rnd/index.html

Quote:
Most of them were seen wearing Kente cloths during the moment of silence as well as during the news conference.

Rep. Karen Bass, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, explained why.

"The significance of the Kente cloth is our African heritage," Bass said during the news conference. "And for those of you without that heritage, we're acting in solidarity. That is the significance of the Kente cloth -- our origins and respecting our pasts."
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Holy Cow, Dan is RIGHT~!

Cory DIDN'T make a smart move!

Thanks, Dan, we were actually giving the idiot credit 'til you came along.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
RunForTheRoses

RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
Stevecsd2

Well, at least some people see the worthless virtue signalling for what it is.
Stevecsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #8
clicknow

virtue signalling: the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one's righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not.

They all do it. Your guy included.

Is wearing the official, licensed virtue-signal red Trump hat still okay?

How about a photo op in front of a church clutching a Bible?

Asking for a friend.

Doesn't virtue signalling look a bit like this?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
virtue signalling: the sharing of one's point of view on a social or political issue, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one's righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not.

They all do it. Your guy included.

Is wearing the official, licensed virtue-signal red Trump hat still okay?

How about a photo op in front of a church clutching a Bible?

Asking for a friend.

Doesn't virtue signalling look a bit like this?
]
The truth hit a nerve didn’t it? Oil companies promoting climate action is virtue signaling. Posting statements about racial inequality AFTER-THE-FACT is virtue signaling. Wearing items of another culture is virtue signaling. Or is it cultural appropriation? You guys relabel things so often I get confused. I thought cultural appropriation was bad, or doesn’t it matter if the purpose of doing it lifts a progressive cause? I should start calling the democrat party the Chameleon Party.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 06:47 AM   #10
clicknow

best video I have seen on virtue signallling, why it's lazy to just throw the term out there (because you don't have a cogent argument), and what it was before idiots got hold of it: (all sides, shapes, colors and types of political persuasions):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 06-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
The truth hit a nerve didn’t it?
NOt at all tucker, it happens every minute of the day, all around.

Watch the video. ^^^^

Hit a nerve? hardly. Even the term itself is now cliched, long in the tooth, over-used, etc. And I can give examples of almost every Dem and Rep doing it.

I've come to think that using that phrase is kind of embarassing, at least in any debates I see where "people with words" have something cogent to say.

I used to listen to Rush on my way to work in the morning. then, for the rest of the day I'd have to listen to his phrases, repeated verbatim, like 100x for the rest of the day. I'm sure it's that way for other shock jocks as well, just not as bad. It's like people have to adopt someone else's words and phrases in order to "communicate". How about coming up with your own ideas and genuinely communicating them?

Last edited by clicknow; 06-09-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #12
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
NOt at all tucker, it happens every minute of the day, all around.

Watch the video. ^^^^

Hit a nerve? hardly. Even the term itself is now cliched, long in the tooth, over-used, etc. And I can give examples of almost every Dem and Rep doing it.

I've come to think that using that phrase is kind of embarassing, at least in any debates I see where "people with words" have something cogent to say.

I used to listen to Rush on my way to work in the morning. then, for the rest of the day I'd have to listen to his phrases, repeated verbatim, like 100x for the rest of the day. I'm sure it's that way for other shock jocks as well, just not as bad. It's like people have to adopt someone else's words and phrases in order to "communicate". How about coming up with your own ideas and genuinely communicating them?
Just because everyone does it and just because it may have become cliched doesn’t mean what I said is any less true. Nor did you address the substance of my post. How could you though. The hypocrisy is too great to explain.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #13
clicknow

Everyone virtue signals and it only bothers us IF we don't agree with their signal.

"Greta" annoys the crap out of me. Why on earth would I need a child to explain the ins and outs of global warming, when I have more education than she does, in sciences specifically, but I can read the studies myself and develop an opinion, right?

And this neighbor I have, who virtue signals by not wearing a mask which is fine, except he TELLS EVERYBODY all day long, anyone who he comes in contact with, why he's not a mask-wearer. Beating his chest about it.

DUDE! Nobody cares. do what you want. Just don't sling any boogers on me, and I will make sure I stay far enough away to make sure you don't.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Just because everyone does it and just because it may have become cliched doesn’t mean what I said is any less true. Nor did you address the substance of my post. How could you though. The hypocrisy is too great to explain.
There's nothing to adddress, tucker6.

THere's no "gotcha" here. I can probably come up with 10,0000 more, both for your own side, and the other side as well. Why don't you see this?

It's commonplace. Not even sure what you mean by YOU GUYS, at this point.
I've said, I'm not anti-republican. I'm only anti-Trump. Run somebody else. And that is not going to change. I can't stand the guy.

" Oil companies promoting climate action---Posting statements about racial inequality AFTER-THE-FACT----- Wearing items of another culture ------"

Where did I say this was not virtue signalling? Look at my post, and then WATCH THE VIDEO.

Man you get so tied up w/your finger pointing you can't even read a post. How about we list the 10,000 other examples from both sides? You think THIS is a stimulating conversation/debate? Seriously????

Must be a slow day.

------So are you going to address the Trump ones?

Last edited by clicknow; 06-09-2020 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I thought it was a Harry Potter convention.