Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #901
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
On March 1st there were 2 total Covid-19 deaths in the U.S.
Today there are almost 143,000 deaths.

On March 1st there were 89 total positive covid-19 cases in the U.S.
Today there's been 3,833,716 positive covid-19 cases in the U.S.

Nothing has changed.

Most of the other 145 or so nations all started out about the same. Somehow they have managed not to become #1 in the world in BOTH CATEGORIES. Guess we are doing everything right.

Bottom line is we are supposed to be growing our economy back. With most of the world closing their borders to us, and hot spots in some of the major tourist states, I don't see how the economy can improve if we do not improve our numbers.

Maybe you can explain how that will happen though.
I suspect that 143,000 deaths number is not correct, people died every day before Covid-19. I also suspect when someone dies who has the virus and the cause of death is directly related to accident, suicide or other reason that death is attributed to Covid-19 falsely. Again your personal narrative of what you want to reflect is being displayed here. There is plenty of data available to suggest nothing is final to conclude other than during this crisis people are not coming together putting partisanship aside.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #902
boxcar

Quote:
On March 1st there were 2 total Covid-19 deaths in the U.S.
Today there are almost 143,000 deaths.

On March 1st there were 89 total positive covid-19 cases in the U.S.
Today there's been 3,833,716 positive covid-19 cases in the U.S.

Nothing has changed.

Most of the other 145 or so nations all started out about the same. Somehow they have managed not to become #1 in the world in BOTH CATEGORIES. Guess we are doing everything right.

Bottom line is we are supposed to be growing our economy back. With most of the world closing their borders to us, and hot spots in some of the major tourist states, I don't see how the economy can improve if we do not improve our numbers.

Maybe you can explain how that will happen though.
You ain't inferrin' that our masks and social distancing policies aren't working too swell, are you?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #903
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
There is plenty of data available to suggest nothing is final to conclude other than during this crisis people are not coming together putting partisanship aside.
I've really run into zero problems with "partisanship" in real life. Only here, actually.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #904
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
You ain't inferrin' that our masks and social distancing policies aren't working too swell, are you?
I haven't done that epidemiological study. You can ask Tom though, who was giving advice earlier in this topic:
Quote:
Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, stay away from crowds, and people, like you and me who are at risk - just stay home as much as you can.
I can't say for sure if any of that works. How about you?

I just said we need to bring our numbers down so that we can get back to reviving our economy and tourism.

I guess you get a choice of who to listen to, like I said earlier, politicians, game-show hosts like Chuck Woolery, or experts in the field of epidemiology and/or doctors with medical degrees. Toss a coin!

Last edited by clicknow; 07-19-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #905
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I love when people squawk about the wealthy.
My question to you was:

Quote:
"make sure that the rescue package for the economy is a rescue for Main Street, not just for Wall Street

What part of that quote do you have a problem with?"
Again, I thought this statement could stand alone, in ANY political or economic system.

How about you? What do you think about how the PPP money was distributed? I don't think a lot of it got to where it was supposed to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Do you own a business? Did you get a PPP loan?
How do you feel about Main Street getting help and not just Wall Street?

No PPP loan here, since you asked. I feel very blessed. When I removed my money from the stock market a few years ago my young nephew convinced me to consider other investment vehicles. He hooked me up w/a few crackerjack marketing, I.T. and computer graphics millenials and gen Zer's. (I think I was their MBA project or something. ). These youngsters are very forward looking, entreprenurial and understand future trends. I didn't even know half the stuff they do existed and was about the make the mistake of landlording. We just partnered with another team that does image synthesis, so more unchartered territory for me.

Anyway, these types prefer to work from their home studios, and can deliver the services that way..... thus, no layoffs for my employees..... so no PPP.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #906
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
Covid19 and how it affected me. Went in the Hospital on 4 /8 for Hypoxia from Covid 19 and released 4/11 to try and fully recover with full time Oxygen at home. Lost 26 pounds in 14 days. Today is 3 months later and I am just now able to function without Oxygen and somewhat close to what I remember Normal was. Yes I am a Geezer with at risk COPD and cancer remission. Surviving this seemed impossible 3 months ago and now just to not be reinfected is a worry. Well it's been real for me. Hope Y'all dont take the same ride.
I've been reading on board of mostly health care workers, nurses, doctors, etc. who are sharing their covid-19 stories, and some of them are long-haulers who are not recuperating quickly. Most of them got it back in March/April and are still struggling. It appears it's not only a respiratory illness, but a vascular and neurological disease as well. i thiink you've done great, and hope your recuperation continues in a positive way. A lot of the people I'm interacting with on that group are 1/2 your age with no underlying health histories, but they were also exposed to a very high viral load in the course of their professions, so that seems to have something to do with it?

Its a very good sign you are functioning w/out O2 now, I pray you are on a major upswing.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #907
boxcar

Quote:
I haven't done that epidemiological study. You can ask Tom though, who was giving advice earlier in this topic:

I just said we need to bring our numbers down so that we can get back to reviving our economy and tourism.

I guess you get a choice of who to listen to, like I said earlier, politicians, game-show hosts like Chuck Woolery, or experts in the field of epidemiology and/or doctors with medical degrees. Toss a coin!
Well, speaking for myself and wifey, we're out and about and MINIMALLY wear masks. And so far, we're doing well.

For your info, those "experts" with medical degrees just can't seem to form a consensus.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #908
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Well, speaking for myself and wifey, we're out and about and MINIMALLY wear masks. And so far, we're doing well.

For your info, those "experts" with medical degrees just can't seem to form a consensus.

If I was looking for a consensus, that would be meaningful to me. I'm not.

The consensus I looked at earlier was from studying models who have beat back their numbers, nipping in the bud early on, and being rather relentless about it.

In our situation, what plan would work for a nation with a large population who has reached noteworthy epidemic proportions, has massive community spread, etc. isn't a model anyone is able to study in hindsight.

There IS no model because we are #1. I guess the world will be watching us and Brazil, etc. Peru, India, etc. for some clues.

I don't think there will be any consensus until further down the line.

My best friend is out and about, maximally, and masking minmally, but she has always been bulletproof and if a tree fell in a tornado it would just miss her by the necessary 1" or so and she'd be on her merry way.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #909
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I suspect that 143,000 deaths number is not correct, people died every day before Covid-19. I also suspect when someone dies who has the virus and the cause of death is directly related to accident, suicide or other reason that death is attributed to Covid-19 falsely. Again your personal narrative of what you want to reflect is being displayed here. There is plenty of data available to suggest nothing is final to conclude other than during this crisis people are not coming together putting partisanship aside.
So you're saying the numbers are inflated to the point where, you'd have to subtract well over 3 million 600 thousand positive cases from our scoreboard to even get close to the numbers that other developed nations have in positives?

And you'd have to subtract almost 100,000 deaths to even reach UK totals which are also some of the highest in the world? And almost 134,000 deaths subtracted to get close to another developed natiion like Germany in deaths?

Yeah, okay. Keep dreamin'

Last edited by clicknow; 07-19-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #910
fast4522

Please,

UK totals are 295k confirmed positive Covid-19 cases, we have 3.83 Million confirmed positive Covid-19 cases. Every politician on the planet is skewing Covid-19 cases and deaths numbers to their political end. Come on man, go away.

Last edited by fast4522; 07-19-2020 at 09:39 PM.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 03:47 AM   #911
hcap

Quote:

Unfortunately, in popular culture, there has been the death of expertise along with a celebration of it's death.

Kinda had making headway against those knee-jerrking with that celebration

Long live the "Woolery" contingent.:rolleyes :
Old 07-20-2020, 09:50 AM   #912
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Unfortunately, in popular culture, there has been the death of expertise along with a celebration of it's death.

Kinda had making headway against those knee-jerrking with that celebration

Long live the "Woolery" contingent.:rolleyes :
Wait a second. Haven't we been hearing about overpopulation of the planet from you and your ilk for 50 years now? It's a good thing that we're killing off humans, no? Isn't this what we've been waiting for? A global virus killing humans. We should be invited to sports and concerts to CATCH the virus, not mask up and prevent it. Who's side are you on Harry? I thought you wanted less humanity. Isn't that why you support abortion? Well, isn't this a delayed abortion? Same thing. Humans die in an abortion and with the virus. Why prevent one and promote the other.

I'm confused by your changing positions on various subjects. Where is your cohesive viewpoint? Do you not want fewer humans? Do you not support killing the unborn? Why shouldn't you support the killing of the born?

Last edited by tucker6; 07-20-2020 at 10:00 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #913
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I wear a mask all them when I am outside.
Not I am that convinced it makes any difference, but if DO get covid, I plan on suing hcap.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #914
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not I am that convinced it makes any difference, but if DO get covid, I plan on suing hcap.
Why does the left support abortion and masks? They are polar opposite on several levels. The left supports the "right" to an abortion which absolutely kills a human, but then wants to prevent your "right' to not wear a mask because it might kill a human.

What!?!? How can someone support both of these positions?

Last edited by tucker6; 07-20-2020 at 10:28 AM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #915
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Actually the main benefit of wearing a mask in slowing the contagion, is to prevent you from giving it to me.

So make sure you do wear it, or you will be sued. However, since we live 500 miles apart, it won't be by me. Unless you continue to apply your pathetic "2 Ben theories" to every topic imaginable, causing me to laugh so hard I collapse in utter disbelief and astonishment. Or if all your exhaled preposterous rambling hot air, sets fire here locally

Last edited by hcap; 07-20-2020 at 11:25 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply