Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-24-2016, 10:42 PM   #91
NJ Stinks

I'm reading this thread and the only point that sticks out as valid as to why Leave won is that immigrants who grab benefits while making no effort to assimilate makes most UK residents nauseous. Congrats to Clocker for that.

The rest is from Mars. I've been in London for a month and here's the critical reasons why Leave won IMO.

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, is taking a lot of flak for not getting the message out loud enough that staying in the EU was in the working man’s best interest. But I think it’s more like the working man said enough is enough. Immigrants are causing the cost of housing here to go thru the roof especially around London and while Remain was relying on Labour members who live in London to deliver bigtime - it didn't happen; new building is necessary (high number of immigrants each year increase the demand) because there is not enough housing and new building – especially in the South of England - means taking away precious open space. The vast majority want to preserve their open space. Then there is the problem of immigrants taking jobs that people want and that of dealing with terrorism at home.

Still, I was shocked Leave won. You had to lay £7 to get back £9 if you bet Remain a day or so before the election or you could bet £4 to get £15 back if you bet Leave.

I do feel bad for Cameron – I like him. I’m not sure why he feels he must go – maybe he just feels it’s time.

In closing, I'll give you one big reason why I'm not jumping up and down about Leave winning. An Englishman said this and he's right - there has not been a war among European countries since the UK joined the European Common Market in 1973. So you can jump up and down and say Hooray for English sovereignty because Leave won but if World War III starts in Europe in 10 years, the UK may have just won a battle but lost the war.

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 06-24-2016 at 10:50 PM.
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #92
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies
Stop being a gobbling Trumpette!

This was the Buffoon-in-Chief's crayoned entry on Twitter:

"Just arrived in SCOTLAND. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back."

What part of "Scotland" and "took their country back", are you confused about? Or perhaps you think that because Trump is so geographically & historically challenged about the components of the Kingdom of UK, he should be given a Mulligan?
You are an idiot. He sees Scots celebrating, so where is that wrong? And the Scots' votes were part of the Great Britain votes, and collectively they did "take their country back" from being ruled by the EU.

You are just so petty that you look for the tiniest little opening to criticize him.

Quote:
"And he was there for the opening of his golf course". Indeed he was, which is precisely the problem! Trump just cannot comprehend that he must differentiate his PRIVATE business interests from a Presidential Election campaign. In fact, he shouldn't be involved in their tacky, self serving promotion, during an election campaign! What other buffoon has ever done this before? And shills like yourself, think that somehow he's going to look after YOUR interests, rather than his own!
Again, stupid and petty. Guess what? Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time though I'm sure that's too complex for you. There is no reason whatsoever that he shouldn't be attending to his business when he can during this campaign, just like politicians are expected to actually do their jobs when they're campaigning. Moron.

Quote:
And what did he also say about the Brexit campaign itself?
In classic clown form, he told us that he had neither looked into it, nor today, did he have anything to say about the obvious tsunami of economic & political consequences - even after talking to his foreign policy advisers!

Is he obtuse or is it just that he doesn't give 2 shites, as long as the pound goes south and he can make more $$$ from his new Golf Course?

FOOOOOORE!
I heard what he said because I actually watched it, contrary to you. He didn't say he hadn't looked into it. Nor did he need to say it had "obvious tsunami of economic and political consequences" just because you think so. He thinks it's a great move, just as I think it's a great move. So bite us.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #93
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
I'm reading this thread and the only point that sticks out as valid as to why Leave won is that immigrants who grab benefits while making no effort to assimilate makes most UK residents nauseous. Congrats to Clocker for that.

The rest is from Mars. I've been in London for a month and here's the critical reasons why Leave won IMO.

The Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, is taking a lot of flak for not getting the message out loud enough that staying in the EU was in the working man’s best interest. But I think it’s more like the working man said enough is enough. Immigrants are causing the cost of housing here to go thru the roof especially around London and while Remain was relying on Labour members who live in London to deliver bigtime - it didn't happen; new building is necessary (high number of immigrants each year increase the demand) because there is not enough housing and new building – especially in the South of England - means taking away precious open space. The vast majority want to preserve their open space. Then there is the problem of immigrants taking jobs that people want and that of dealing with terrorism at home.

Still, I was shocked Leave won. You had to lay £7 to get back £9 if you bet Remain a day or so before the election or you could bet £4 to get £15 back if you bet Leave.

I do feel bad for Cameron – I like him. I’m not sure why he feels he must go – maybe he just feels it’s time.

In closing, I'll give you one big reason why I'm not jumping up and down about Leave winning. An Englishman said this and he's right - there has not been a war among European countries since the UK joined the European Common Market in 1973. So you can jump up and down and say Hooray for English sovereignty because Leave won but if World War III starts in Europe in 10 years, the UK may have just won a battle but lost the war.
You don't think GB paying a lion's share for all the goodies that are doled out among the member states has anything to do with it?

I have no clue why anyone in GB would want to be governed by anyone but their own elected head of state/government. It's remarkable to me that they did this 40 years ago. It's one thing to join for the purpose of trade agreements, but entirely another to have laws about such things as required vacation periods handed down by the Wizard of Brussels.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #94
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Another war in Europe?
Do any of them have the guts anymore?

I think they might worry more about outbreaks of Amish rake-fighting.
What is they had a war and nobody came?
Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 AM   #95
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Does being an imbecile ensure you're wrong about everything to do with Drumof?

"You are an idiot. He sees Scots celebrating, so where is that wrong? And the Scots' votes were part of the Great Britain votes, and collectively they did "take their country back" from being ruled by the EU."

He was in Scotland.
He had no clue that they voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU.
He likely saw people from England- not Scotland and made his uninformed statement.
Because of it however, "Collectively", the Scots may decide to leave England! That'll help England's stability.

"You are just so petty that you look for the tiniest little opening to criticize him. "
Again- stop gobbling.

"Again, stupid and petty. Guess what? Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time though I'm sure that's too complex for you. There is no reason whatsoever that he shouldn't be attending to his business when he can during this campaign, just like politicians are expected to actually do their jobs when they're campaigning. Moron."

What's apparently far too complex for you (but fully understandable as a Trump drooler) is that politicians must be at arms length from their own financial vested interests & companies. They must especially do so and have the appearance of doing so in a democracy, when they are running for most political offices- let alone President of the United States.
Trump clearly doesn't get this.
Nor do you- you clown!

"I heard what he said because I actually watched it, contrary to you. He didn't say he hadn't looked into it. "

No, I just copied his printed Twitter quote. And this- "Early in June, Mr. Trump did not even know what Brexit referred to, and as recently as Wednesday, he said that his opinion on the referendum was insignificant because he had not been following the issue closely."

"Nor did he need to say it had "obvious tsunami of economic and political consequences" just because you think so. He thinks it's a great move, just as I think it's a great move. So bite us."

Oooohhh... "Bite us" Are you in Grade 4 or 5. "Us"? Have you taken over Lewandowski's job?

Keep gobbling those Drumpf "great moves"! Neither he, nor you have the slightest understanding of the United Kingdom or Europe.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2016, 12:03 AM   #96
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Can't believe they did it.

NJ Stinks, thanks for that post. I'm reading lots of man on the streets comments, they echo your post.

Lots of problems with being in the EU before the immigration problem.. I think this was the straw.......
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #97
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You tell us.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #98
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
You tell us.
He is and he is.
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2016, 12:10 AM   #99
johnhannibalsmith

Trump is such a player he's now apparently the central story in the story of the EU going to shit.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2016, 12:29 AM   #100
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookies

"You are an idiot. He sees Scots celebrating, so where is that wrong? And the Scots' votes were part of the Great Britain votes, and collectively they did "take their country back" from being ruled by the EU."

He was in Scotland.
He had no clue that they voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU.
He likely saw people from England- not Scotland and made his uninformed statement.
Because of it however, "Collectively", the Scots may decide to leave England! That'll help England's stability.

"You are just so petty that you look for the tiniest little opening to criticize him. "
Again- stop gobbling.

"Again, stupid and petty. Guess what? Some people can walk and chew gum at the same time though I'm sure that's too complex for you. There is no reason whatsoever that he shouldn't be attending to his business when he can during this campaign, just like politicians are expected to actually do their jobs when they're campaigning. Moron."

What's apparently far too complex for you (but fully understandable as a Trump drooler) is that politicians must be at arms length from their own financial vested interests & companies. They must especially do so and have the appearance of doing so in a democracy, when they are running for most political offices- let alone President of the United States.
Trump clearly doesn't get this.
Nor do you- you clown!

"I heard what he said because I actually watched it, contrary to you. He didn't say he hadn't looked into it. "

No, I just copied his printed Twitter quote. And this- "Early in June, Mr. Trump did not even know what Brexit referred to, and as recently as Wednesday, he said that his opinion on the referendum was insignificant because he had not been following the issue closely."

"Nor did he need to say it had "obvious tsunami of economic and political consequences" just because you think so. He thinks it's a great move, just as I think it's a great move. So bite us."

Oooohhh... "Bite us" Are you in Grade 4 or 5. "Us"? Have you taken over Lewandowski's job?

Keep gobbling those Drumpf "great moves"! Neither he, nor you have the slightest understanding of the United Kingdom or Europe.
Kookies, I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain this further to you.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #101
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks

It was the proper thing to do. He said that as an ally of remain, he could not be seen as a champion for the exit strategy, and that someone more in tune with that movement should be the one to lead the nation through the times ahead.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #102
Clocker

Did Obama tip the vote toward 'Leave'?

Quote:
A leading figure in the British push to exit the European Union says President Obama accidentally helped the Brexit cause.

Nigel Farage on Friday said Obama's calls for the United Kingdom to stay in the EU caused people to vote to leave.

“Threatening people too much insults their intelligence,” the United Kingdom Independence Party head said.“A lot of people in Britain said, ‘How dare the American president come here and tell us what to do?’ ” Farage continued on Sirius XM’s “Breitbart News Daily,” citing Obama’s U.K. trip in April.

“It backfired. We got an Obama-Brexit bounce, because people do not want foreign leaders telling them how to think and vote.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...d-force-brexit

Memories of things past. George Will on the power of Obama's support, from 2011:

Quote:
“He [Obama] went to Massachusetts to campaign against Scott Brown; Brown is now a senator. He went to New Jersey to campaign against Chris Christie, who is now governor. He went to Virginia to campaign against Bob McDonnell, who is now governor. He campaigned for the health care plan extensively; it became less popular. He campaigned in 2010 for the Democrats; they were shellacked. He began, in a sense, his presidency flying to Copenhagen to get Chicago the Olympics, Chicago is the first city eliminated. There is no evidence that the man has rhetorical powers that he’s relying on.”
Old 06-25-2016, 09:02 AM   #103
Fager Fan
Veteran

It wasn't just telling them what they should do, but threatening them that they'd go to the back of the line.

Obama isn't nearly as popular as the polls make it sound. His skin color keeps many from speaking against him.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #104
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
It was the proper thing to do. He said that as an ally of remain, he could not be seen as a champion for the exit strategy, and that someone more in tune with that movement should be the one to lead the nation through the times ahead.
When a leader loses the support of his constituency, is time for him/her to step down. Stop thinking in terms of leader and focus on representing.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:58 AM   #105
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Did Obama tip the vote toward 'Leave'?
Obama is the King George of today's Brits.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: