Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #61
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Simple. East Coast Bias but they'll never admit it or tell you who their preferred sportswriters are.

It's all "knock" California all the time. Prove me wrong.
When the racing leaders of other states start to publicly insult the intelligence of us players...then we will start "knocking" them too.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #62
NJ Stinks

I thought Hovdey kind of phoned in that article. I mean - its almost like Rapid Redux gave Jay an excuse to commemorate Citation. As a matter of fact, the headline may as well have been: "A Truly Great Horse? Citation". Anyway, at least Jay actually talked to somebody about Citation.

Before Andy points a finger at my location, I will add that Jay can and has written great articles in the past. This just wasn't one of them IMO.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #63
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
I thought Hovdey kind of phoned in that article. I mean - its almost like Rapid Redux gave Jay an excuse to commemorate Citation. As a matter of fact, the headline may as well have been: "A Truly Great Horse? Citation". Anyway, at least Jay actually talked to somebody about Citation.

Before Andy points a finger at my location, I will add that Jay can and has written great articles in the past. This just wasn't one of them IMO.
"Phoned in sounds right." However, I don't think this really had anything to do with Citation. The catalyst is clear, Rapid Redux topped Zenyatta's win streak, therefore Hovdey must defend her honor by damning him with faint praise. The first word of the sixth paragraph gives the game away.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #64
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
"Phoned in sounds right." However, I don't think this really had anything to do with Citation. The catalyst is clear, Rapid Redux topped Zenyatta's win streak, therefore Hovdey must defend her honor by damning him with faint praise. The first word of the sixth paragraph gives the game away.
But some here said this was a positive article about the horse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #65
andymays
Veteran

CJ is right he should have been more specific in the article but overall he's a pretty good writer in my opinion.

My favorite writer was Bill Christine.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #66
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
CJ is right he should have been more specific in the article but overall he's a pretty good writer in my opinion.

My favorite writer was Bill Christine.
He also should have gotten the track right. You think he would have made that type of mistake about Zenyatta?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #67
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
But some here said this was a positive article about the horse.
Yeah, well.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #68
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
He also should have gotten the track right. You think he would have made that type of mistake about Zenyatta?
Again with Zenyatta.

All writers make mistakes. I should have just sent him an email to make the correction. But then think of all the fun we've had in this thread.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #69
classhandicapper

I can't believe this thread is getting this long given that Awesome Feather and To Honor and Serve were so impressive yesterday. I came here expecting to discuss those two horses this morning. Let's at least discuss whether Awesome Feather has a chance to catch Rapid Redux if she runs at Charles Town.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #70
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I can't believe this thread is getting this long given that Awesome Feather and To Honor and Serve were so impressive yesterday. I came here expecting to discuss those two horses this morning. Let's at least discuss whether Awesome Feather has a chance to catch Rapid Redux if she runs at Charles Town.
I was impressed by Awesome Feather. I really didn't see that coming after her comeback. To Honor and Serve didn't impress me as much. I don't think he beat a whole lot there, just did what was expected.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #71
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I was impressed by Awesome Feather. I really didn't see that coming after her comeback. To Honor and Serve didn't impress me as much. I don't think he beat a whole lot there, just did what was expected.
I was sort of shocked by Awesome Feather.

Last year I thought she was probably better than her figures based on her consistency and winning record, but I didn't think she was anything super special.

Given the injury and her first race back, I wasn't expecting an explosive move forward even though I gave her a decent shot in that field because it was weak for a Grade 1. She was really good though.

It's a shame R Heat Lightning got hurt because this 3YO filly crop was VERY deep.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #72
FenceBored

Quote:
Again with Zenyatta.

All writers make mistakes. I should have just sent him an email to make the correction. But then think of all the fun we've had in this thread.
Of course it's about Zenyatta, Andy. The whole article is his version of "I know about Citation. If I'd have been around the track in the late 40's, Citation would have been a friend of mine. You, Rapid Redux, are no Citation." And why would he feel compelled this week to do it? Look at the article list for Zenyatta at Bloodhorse. Anybody's name jump out at you?

And what's with Hovdey's snark about Tanglewood and off-Broadway? So what if RR is doing dinner theatre in Dubuque, as it were. Do Dubuqians not deserve a nice buffet and performance?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #73
rwwupl

Quote:
Again with Zenyatta.

My 2 cents worth...

Jay Hovdey,Jon White, Steve Crist and the great Bill Christine are among the best journalists that we have left.

Lets be thankful for the great work that they do every day... without them, darkness would come much earlier.

Citation was my favorite horse of all time and a true champion.

rw
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply