Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #31
point given

More irrational exuberance

A little more background stuff from Tom Lamarra at the Bloodhorse on the buzz horse Hansen ,and his human connections Doc Hansen

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...o-turfway-park
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #32
FantasticDan
gelding

From that Bloodhorse article:

In the Kentucky Cup Juvenile Hansen was on cruise control. He reopened his lead on the far turn and was only mildly urged by Lebron in mid-stretch.

As others noted, Lebron was all over Hansen in the stretch despite the significant leading margin. Even the chart reads: drew off in the strech and was under heavy pressure to the wire.

Hansen may have indeed been in cruise control, but Lebron rode him like they were biting at his heels.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #33
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Big BSF of 80 awarded for this one. Well, better than Astrology got all of his 2yo campaign, so I can see how this guy could be the next wonder horse...
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Big BSF of 80 awarded for this one. Well, better than Astrology got all of his 2yo campaign, so I can see how this guy could be the next wonder horse...
One word of caution on the 80 figure...polytrack.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #35
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
One word of caution on the 80 figure...polytrack.
True, though the race was not run in a turfish manner, so would take it as a little more to the dirt/legit side than an average poly generated number.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #36
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
The pace that Hansen set was very fast; much faster than the 2 older horse stakes at same distance. Also, its not surprising for 2 year olds stretching out to decelerate significantly. And its even more impressive to do it over that tiring surface at TP. I'd be surprised if this horse didn't take to dirt.
He has three bullet 5F works over the Churchill training track, so I also think he'll handle dirt fine.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #37
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
He has three bullet 5F works over the Churchill training track, so I also think he'll handle dirt fine.

He might handle dirt just fine but working and racing are two completely different things.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
True, though the race was not run in a turfish manner, so would take it as a little more to the dirt/legit side than an average poly generated number.
I hear you, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. In any case, he needs to learn to rate way better than he does to beat real competition on any surface.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
5k-claim
Working on 'Plan B'

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
He might handle dirt just fine but working and racing are two completely different things.
"Completely different"? For Hansen?

No they aren't.

5k-claim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #40
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5k-claim
"Completely different"? For Hansen?

No they aren't.

There is both a good and needed answer.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #41
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I hear you, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. In any case, he needs to learn to rate way better than he does to beat real competition on any surface.
In the end, of course, that's the trick in the interpretation. For my part I do not wish to have a hype parade form around this where I have to hear "Hmmmm-Bop" performed when it comes to TC prep time.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
For my part I do not wish to have a hype parade form around this where I have to hear "Hmmmm-Bop" performed when it comes to TC prep time.
That's Hanson.. there's a distinction.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #43
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan
That's Hanson.. there's a distinction.
You're not supposed to know that.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #44
gm10

There's a problem with synthetic surfaces (from my own point of view). In the early days, you had to find the horses with a bit of tactical and a lot of late speed, which is something I'm better at than most. These days, most of the synthetic surfaces behave not unlike traditional dirt. If I'm not mistaken, race 2, 6, 7, 11 and 12 were all won by horses on the lead. In races 3, 4 and 10, the winner was within a length of the lead.

So I'm not inclined to give extra credit to the winner for going wire to wire on the poly. My numbers don't indicate anything special either. The early/middle numbers are good but not that hot, and in that respect, the late number was very moderate, frankly.

As an aside. I saw that Winter Memories was mentioned earlier. My view on her ... she's not that good. Her late speed hasn't been that impressive on the occasions that she couldn't get an easy fraction at some point in the race. As a result, I've never been able to record a great speed figure for her.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #45
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
his pedigree is quite interesting.

Tapit can get you a good dirt horse, but the horses he throws seem to really do take to the turf/polytrack

even more interesting is his damside. The exact opposite. They are all dirt horses. HIs dam, his half sister, heck even sir cat if i am not mistaken is the sire of surf cat, the old Bruce Headly horse that hit an absolute brick wall in California the day they went from dirt to polytrack.

Looking at the overall picture i don't think the dirt would be my biggest concern with him. it's there but it's not by biggest concern. The talent level is my biggest concern.
Broodmare sire Sir Cat dominated on turf . The scenerio here could follow Stately Victor. We'll have to see how Maker handles the transition with Hansen .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply