Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
upthecreek

OTB employee steals $696,000

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...acHqPI.twitter
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
wisconsin

4 years worth of "discrepancies" and nothing done about it until now? And no criminal filing?
Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
chiguy

Somebody was asleep at the wheel. Maybe I don't have a good criminal mind but having spent some years in the money room in Southern Cal this would be extremely difficult to pull off and would require several people to be involved. I think they must have had a poor process of check and balances.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
elhelmete

Wow, that stinks to high heaven in many ways.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Wow, that stinks to high heaven in many ways.
You are right, how is almost 700k missing and nobody comes up short anywhere? And no criminal charges? Something is very wrong here or we are not getting the whole story.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #6
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
You are right, how is almost 700k missing and nobody comes up short anywhere? And no criminal charges? Something is very wrong here or we are not getting the whole story.
It's not a secret that the Maine OTBs are often used as layoff points for lots and lots and lots of 'money from elsewhere,' the local population doesn't push this kind of $ through the windows.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by green80 View Post
Maybe he agreed to give back 5%?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
AlsoEligible

Quote:
It was later alleged in court documents that Tardiff often waited until the business had closed in the evenings to use a former employee’s login password to “print off a betting voucher receipt for either $1,415 or $2,380, or $5,660 without paying cash into the system.” The lawsuit alleges that Tardiff then later either placed bets with the vouchers or simply cashed them in.
So he would log into a teller machine using the number of an employee that no longer works there. Then print off vouchers worth thousands. Then presumably cash them in at a later date and pocket the money.

#1 - Why was a former clerk's number still in the system? Isn't that pretty much standard procedure after someone quits or get's fired?

#2 - Tote reports for this OTB would show this former teller being short thousands (if not tens of thousands) every day that this happened. Management never noticed that?

#3 - Tote reports would also show this former teller logging on routinely after the place was closed. That never set off any flags, either? Why were the betting windows even still able to be logged into after hours?

Either the guy had help, or this is one of the grossest examples of negligence I've ever seen in this industry. There is absolutely no reason why anyone at this OTB should keep their job. Even if they weren't involved, management has shown that they're not capable of running a lemonade stand, let alone a betting shop.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
So he would log into a teller machine using the number of an employee that no longer works there. Then print off vouchers worth thousands. Then presumably cash them in at a later date and pocket the money.

#1 - Why was a former clerk's number still in the system? Isn't that pretty much standard procedure after someone quits or get's fired?

#2 - Tote reports for this OTB would show this former teller being short thousands (if not tens of thousands) every day that this happened. Management never noticed that?

#3 - Tote reports would also show this former teller logging on routinely after the place was closed. That never set off any flags, either? Why were the betting windows even still able to be logged into after hours?

Either the guy had help, or this is one of the grossest examples of negligence I've ever seen in this industry. There is absolutely no reason why anyone at this OTB should keep their job. Even if they weren't involved, management has shown that they're not capable of running a lemonade stand, let alone a betting shop.
It really is mind boggling, especially the comment at the end to the effect of "I don't know what you're doing, but stop it" made by the owner...a former tote company employee.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
Quesmark

Quote:
It was later alleged in court documents that Tardiff often waited until the business had closed in the evenings to use a former employee’s login password to “print off a betting voucher receipt for either $1,415 or $2,380,or $5,660 without paying cash into the system.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...acHqPI.twitter
Random amounts,or...
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #11
chiguy

Numbers seem random to me. They don't mean anything in the money room or at the window in California as far as I can tell.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy View Post
Numbers seem random to me. They don't mean anything in the money room or at the window in California as far as I can tell.
Yeah I fiddled with them to see if perhaps they had some general significance, but I think it's just an oddly worded sentence. The only thing is they're each a multiple of $1415.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
johnhannibalsmith

I'm guessing that they meant to type $2830, rather than $2380, which makes a common factor. Agreed that this story makes absolutely zero sense the way it is told here.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
I'm guessing that they meant to type $2830, rather than $2380, which makes a common factor. Agreed that this story makes absolutely zero sense the way it is told here.
Ooops, yes, my dyslexia saw 2830!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It really is mind boggling, especially the comment at the end to the effect of "I don't know what you're doing, but stop it" made by the owner...a former tote company employee.
If the OTBs were "legitimate" businesses, where actual products were being sold to the public in order to recoup the upfront cost dished out for these products...then I doubt that the owners would be so lackadaisical about theft of this type.