Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
trigger

Equiform's Fotias Supports Ellis 4% P4

THE TAKE STOPS HERE
Cary Fotias
President - Equiform
Member DRF/NTRA Players Panel

....."As an added inducement for players to support the Ellis Park Pick-4, Equiform will be offering free products every Saturday and Sunday of the Ellis Park meet. Just go to www.equiform.com on the afternoon before to download The XTRAS and The SHORTS
for Ellis Park. You can also download the Legends for both of these products along with the Equiform Pattern Guide.
It's one step by Ron Geary and a giant step for horseplayers."
http://www.ellisparkracing.com/media...OPS%20HERE.pdf

4% facts/figures:
http://www.ellisparkracing.com/media...yoff%20Facts.p
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
GameTheory

Please everyone bet into these 4% pools. If they do in fact go from an avg of 18.5k to 200k or so, that will get noticed -- looks like they are up to 65k or so now.

Corrected link from above:

Facts & Figures
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Rico8812

I've played the P4 4 times so far. Hit 3 of 4 every time. haha.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
NYPlayer

Bet all you can. The sale ends on Labor Day.

I think I'll stop everything I'm doing to go play pick 4's at Ellis to prove something about track take. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Now, if it becomes policy at every Kentucky track year round, or if another major circuit adopts the same policy, then absolutely. I would move my game.
NYPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPlayer

I think I'll stop everything I'm doing to go play pick 4's at Ellis to prove something about track take. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Now, if it becomes policy at every Kentucky track year round, or if another major circuit adopts the same policy, then absolutely. I would move my game.
With all due respect…

What a narrow minded post IMHO.

No one suggested “moving ones game”, but if you don’t think the industry is looking at this your kidding yourself. Players like to talk about change on our behalf…well…here is a rare opportunity.

If only California could bet this and / or Vegas shops would offer it the pools would be 6 figures by now.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
NYPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
With all due respect…

What a narrow minded post IMHO.

No one suggested “moving ones game”, but if you don’t think the industry is looking at this your kidding yourself. Players like to talk about change on our behalf…well…here is a rare opportunity.

If only California could bet this and / or Vegas shops would offer it the pools would be 6 figures by now.
My point is that its just not worth the effort. I only have so much time to handicap a card and limited funds to acquire the necessary information. I need to make everything count. And I think a lot other players feel the same way.

When I first heard about the Ellis P4, I seriously considered handicapping the Ellis card instead of Belmont. Then I found out it's only till Labor Day. What's the point of playing for two months at a discount at an unfamiliar track if you have to play for the other ten months of the year at the usual rate? Well, I guess I shoulda known there was a catch. There's a reason that a product gets put on the sales rack, and the laws of economics are no different whether it's racing or Macy's, and I think this is all self-serving to the industry masters rather than being beneficial for the players.

If a racing circuit was serious about performing the experiment, then they should discount the p4 to 4% or 5% for an entire year at least. That would give a serious player a chance to put together a winning season. Then you can count me in, and very likely the pools would rise dramatically as other players arrived at the same conlcusion. Of course, they know this, and so it's never gonna happen.

Good luck to everyone trying.
NYPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
My point is that its just not worth the effort. I only have so much time to handicap a card and limited funds to acquire the necessary information. I need to make everything count. And I think a lot other players feel the same way.

When I first heard about the Ellis P4, I seriously considered handicapping the Ellis card instead of Belmont. Then I found out it's only till Labor Day. What's the point of playing for two months at a discount at an unfamiliar track if you have to play for the other ten months of the year at the usual rate? Well, I guess I shoulda known there was a catch. There's a reason that a product gets put on the sales rack, and the laws of economics are no different whether it's racing or Macy's, and I think this is all self-serving to the industry masters rather than being beneficial for the players.

If a racing circuit was serious about performing the experiment, then they should discount the p4 to 4% or 5% for an entire year at least. That would give a serious player a chance to put together a winning season. Then you can count me in, and very likely the pools would rise dramatically as other players arrived at the same conlcusion. Of course, they know this, and so it's never gonna happen.

Good luck to everyone trying.
I hear ya on one level NY;

Unfortunately tracks do not operate independently of state legislators, so these “experiments” are few and far between.

Even a token bet by every player who has access would do nothing but help all of us in the long run IMO.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
DeanT

Quote:
There's a reason that a product gets put on the sales rack, and the laws of economics are no different whether it's racing or Macy's, and I think this is all self-serving to the industry masters rather than being beneficial for the players.
The industry masters hate Ellis Park for doing this.

All the more reason to support it.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
Kelso
Veteran

Quote:
If a racing circuit was serious about performing the experiment, then they should discount the p4 to 4% or 5% for an entire year at least.
This is being offered by an independently owned track, not by a circuit. I understand that the owner is a horse player as well as a businessman. This trial plays well to both of his interests ... but that doesn't prevent it from playing to our singular interest as bettors.

I agree with Dan and Dean that it's worthy of support ... even if only token ... and that other tracks are hoping it will fail so that they (and their legislatures) won't have to cave in to the market for reasonable takeouts.

Hell, throw a buck into the pool and play your kids' birthdays. Consider it an investment.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
DeanT

It's also a selfish decision for me, and prolly all of us, Kelso. I have played Pick 4's at several tracks. The best I have ever gotten my ROI up to on the sweep bet is around 0.94.

I can not beat a 25% rake, for whatever reason, and I am not afraid to admit it. Heck, some states have lotteries with a 25% rake. It is hard.

I figure if I can achieve a 0.94 ROI at a 25% rake track like Belmont, I am going to make money at a 4% track like EP. The rake is over 600% less at EP than Belmont. I should try something new if I can't beat that take.

In the end it comes down to this: I like money. So I choose EP.

Last edited by DeanT; 07-17-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:49 AM   #11
betchatoo

Quote:

Does this mean that if a bank started giving away money for 2 months, you wouldn't take it? Because at the end of those 2 months, what would you do for money?

The point is that the rest of the racing world is watching this experiment. If it is an overwhelming success than others will join in and you might get your year round policy. But if horse players just sit around and do nothing, tracks will have no reason to change.
Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right. -Martin Luther King, Jr.
betchatoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
SMOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
In the end it comes down to this: I like money. So I choose EP.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
jma

Quote:
Originally Posted by betchatoo
Does this mean that if a bank started giving away money for 2 months, you wouldn't take it? Because at the end of those 2 months, what would you do for money?

The point is that the rest of the racing world is watching this experiment. If it is an overwhelming success than others will join in and you might get your year round policy. But if horse players just sit around and do nothing, tracks will have no reason to change.
And it's not exactly a "sale", is it? Ellis is offering the bet the whole time they are open. You might have noticed there are several tracks in Kentucky. It's not as if Turfway and Keeneland run the same races/horses anyway, so the "circuit" complaint doesn't make much sense.

I don't know much about the Indiana Downs horses running at Ellis, but I'm ahead betting the Pick 4 at Ellis. I have to conclude that it's not my brilliance , but the low takeout and having some knowledge of how to play Pick 4s. As Dean (I believe) said, if you can come close to being profitable with 25% takeout, you should do better with 4% takeout.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #14
DeanT

It is kinda cool to me too, jma. When I was getting better at Pick 4's I learned that I had to take a stand - go out on a limb in every pick 4. Not because I wanted to, but because you have to because the rake kills you and you have to beat the crowd. That was my single most purpose to try to get better. The strike rate was low, and it is frustrating.

It is very cool now, that I can just do a few fundamental things with the EP tickets. I work on handicapping horses and making smart tickets instead of worrying about tossing faves, or looking for bombs to beat the rake. It is a completely different strategy for me now and it is fun - I can actually try and handicap!

This is probably the most friendly ROI bet in the history of thoroughbred racing. When you are used to trying to beat the crowd by 25 freaking percent for the past twenty years of betting, it will certainly take some getting used to. It feels weird to not get bent over

Last edited by DeanT; 07-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Figman

In New York, only New York City OTB takes the Ellis Park Pick-Four that I know of.

Do any of the other five OTBs or NYRA, Finger Lakes, Buffalo Raceway, Monticello Raceway, Saratoga Raceway, Tioga Downs, Yonkers Raceway or Vernon Downs take the Ellis Park Pick-4?
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply